16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:35:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[309] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[95] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[41] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[38] Signage - not making it easy ...
[8] IETs at Melksham
[7] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CP6 Strategic (Delivery) Plans  (Read 1879 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2019, 20:57:51 »

With CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) just days away, Network Rail have put out a full set of delivery plans. These are not the enhancement delivery plans we used to get, as enhancements are now going to be dealt with individually, just ones for the boring little bits left over. These are called Route Strategic Plans (there are also non-route plans for central functions), though the full-length documents have more in them than that suggests. Indeed, to add up to £35 Bn there have to be some quite big boring little bits.

However, just to make life more fun, there are at last two sets of these documents on undated (how did that ever get to be the standard practice?) pages. This page has the submitted ones from March 2018, and so does this one, while the approved ones (or regulated for the full text) are in this page with "delivery" in its heading. There is another page publicising the release of the latest plans, but it has no links to them! And even when you get to the right page, you have to find the list of regulated plans, and not click on the map as invited - that too leads to the old Strategic Business Plans page!

The full Western Route Strategic Plan is here. Most of its 113 pages are about metrics and aspirations; the TTD lists start at P 29 (6.3 Asset by asset key outputs). One of the main areas included is resignalling, which counts as renewals even if it is a big update. Even there some of it is a bit gnomic - for example, what does this really mean?
The implementation of plans to overcome the Great Western -Automatic Train Protection (GW (Great Western)-ATP (Automatic Train Protection)) system obsolescence will look to build upon feasibility studies undertaken in CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) and further studies in the early part of CP6, this will align with the Digital Railway (DR) policies as appropriate but will focus on the needs of the route.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 21:05:52 »

Thanks for posting that, STUVING.  I think what they are trying to do is avoid conventional resignalling, including TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System)+ (to allow 125mph running), by moving direct to the 'Digital Railway' i.e. ETCS (European Train Control System)/ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.).  Hence delay everything until CP7 or beyond, if GW (Great Western) ATP (Automatic Train Protection) will last that long.

I also note that they are going to defer Plymouth and Cornwall resignalling again and kick it into the long grass (CP7/CP8).  That means, for example, that Plymouth Panel will be at least 70 years old by then.....who says old technology doesn't last.... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 09:55:06 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 22:05:08 »

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 12:59:28 »

I think there always were separate annual Strategic Plans for each route issued separately to the Enhancement Delivery plans, so I don’t think this in itself necessarily implies a significant change.

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 15:27:19 »

I think there always were separate annual Strategic Plans for each route issued separately to the Enhancement Delivery plans, so I don’t think this in itself necessarily implies a significant change.

Paul

Indeed there were Route Plans, and first CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) one was longer and contained a section on the complete resignalling programme. And that was a "Rote Summary Plan" - I think it summarised a bigger internal document set, not a longer published report. But what was in them was always a bit hit and miss, both in coverage and level of detail. I imagine that will still be the case.

However, a lot of the so-called renewals work was listed under "interfaces and assumptions in the EDP, so at least you knew it was going on. Without one, our focus has to shift to these Route Plans. But here's a thought: shouldn't we still have an EDP for CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024), to cover those projects that started under the old rules and run into CP6?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: