I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:25:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Public Transport Rover Tickets in (greater) Wiltshire  (Read 8169 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 01, 2019, 10:27:45 »

A call from a friend, asking for an update on multiday / weeklong public transport tickets covering services in Wiltshire across mulitple operators.  Scenario - friends visiting who want to get around and see our beautiful part of the country without having to much about with a large number of individual tickets.   Sounds reasonable, doesn't it?   I think you can get something like it in Cornwall ... but not aware of an answer in Wiltshire.

1. You have the Wiltshire DAY rover for buses - goodness knows why it's not extendable to a week. No trains. Covers through journeys to Frome (from Trowbridge and Warminster) at to Bath (from Chippenham, Bradford-on-Avon and Melksham) and some others to the south and east, but no break of journey outside Wiltshire.
http://www.passenger.chat/12333

2. You have the Freedom of Severn and Solent rail ticket - but does not cover buses, nor is it valid to Pewsey - probably the most central station in the county. We don't seem to have a thread that's specific to FOSS (Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover) (and the Freedom of the Wouth West which expands the area to Penzance) but tou can find more at
http://www.railrover.org/pages/freedom-of-severn-and-solent-rover.html

3. You have the new Great West Way explorer tickets. The "Global" one is valid at all stations in the county (except Tisbury and Dean?) And on selected buses. Note it's valid into Frome on the D2 bus but not by train from Westbury, nor on any other buses to Frome.  Devizes only on the 49 (Swindon to Trowbridge) services, and in the evenings and on Sundays on the D3 from Bath. Bought in the UK (United Kingdom) - morning peak restrictions. Outside the UK purchased - no time restrictions.
http://www.passenger.chat/21046

Have I overlooked anything?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 11:32:28 »

Depending on exactly where your friends are going, there is also AvonRider:

From Travelwest

Quote from: Travelwest
AvonRider tickets will be valid for travel across the zone boundary on service D1 as far as Westbury (Haynes Road), on services D3 and X72 as far as Bowerhill (Kingfisher Drive), and on service X31 as far as Chippenham (Bus Station). AvonRider tickets may also be purchased by passengers boarding these services from those places inward to Bath.

More information on AvonRider tickets is available at www.travelwest.info/rider

There is also the Heart of Wessex Day Ranger which is valid on the Heart of Wessex, TransWilts Swindon-Westbury and Swindon-Bristol Parkway/Temple Meads rail routes as well as to Pewsey and a number of Greater Bristol suburban rail stations, including the Severn Beach line and even Pilning if they are feeling adventurous...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 11:53:16 »

A call from a friend, asking for an update on multiday / weeklong public transport tickets covering services in Wiltshire across mulitple operators.  Scenario - friends visiting who want to get around and see our beautiful part of the country without having to much about with a large number of individual tickets.   Sounds reasonable, doesn't it?   I think you can get something like it in Cornwall ... but not aware of an answer in Wiltshire.

1. You have the Wiltshire DAY rover for buses - goodness knows why it's not extendable to a week. No trains. Covers through journeys to Frome (from Trowbridge and Warminster) at to Bath (from Chippenham, Bradford-on-Avon and Melksham) and some others to the south and east, but no break of journey outside Wiltshire.
http://www.passenger.chat/12333

2. You have the Freedom of Severn and Solent rail ticket - but does not cover buses, nor is it valid to Pewsey - probably the most central station in the county. We don't seem to have a thread that's specific to FOSS (Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover) (and the Freedom of the Wouth West which expands the area to Penzance) but tou can find more at
http://www.railrover.org/pages/freedom-of-severn-and-solent-rover.html

3. You have the new Great West Way explorer tickets. The "Global" one is valid at all stations in the county (except Tisbury and Dean?) And on selected buses. Note it's valid into Frome on the D2 bus but not by train from Westbury, nor on any other buses to Frome.  Devizes only on the 49 (Swindon to Trowbridge) services, and in the evenings and on Sundays on the D3 from Bath. Bought in the UK (United Kingdom) - morning peak restrictions. Outside the UK purchased - no time restrictions.
http://www.passenger.chat/21046

Have I overlooked anything?

Freedom Travelpass by GWR (Great Western Railway) and First Bus West of England tickets both available as day tickets, weekly or monthly seasons as well. Check them out.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 12:26:02 »

Freedom Travelpass by GWR (Great Western Railway) and First Bus West of England tickets both available as day tickets, weekly or monthly seasons as well. Check them out.

They're good ... but they don't extend into Wiltshire.

I have asked for a zone "E" to be added bearing in mind my Bath Bus User Group / Melksham Transport Role.    Both the GWR and First Bus reps were advocating use of these tickets at the Keysham meeting we both were at the other week.   The First Bus senior person involved has responded and is very positive to the idea.   I have, though, been deafened by the silence so far from the GWR person.

Extending the Freedom Travel pass to Chippenham, Melksham, Warminster and Frome would be a massive encourgaement to people to leave their cars at home when travelling into Bath or Bristol, knowing that they could travel back by train or bus as was approproate - and bearing in mind that both trains and buses to Frome and to Melksham can be a bit infrequent at certain times, so the ability to switch would be wonderful.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:39:27 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 12:37:46 »

The First Bus West of England tickets do extend into Wiltshire - see map here.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 12:51:33 »

The First Bus West of England tickets do extend into Wiltshire - see map here.

Yes - the First Bus (West of England) tickets do ... the Freedom Travel Pass does not - see that map  Grin.  The First Bus ticket only covers buses run by First ... there's also the Avon Rider which now covers buses out into Wiltshire too, and for both competing operators.

All of which, sadly, is taking us a long way from the desires "any bus in Wilsthire" or "any public transport in Wiltshire" ticket for a week's carefree exploration.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 12:57:56 »

I proposed a Wiltshire Travelpass along the lines of the Freedom Travelpass as an idea for the first ever TransWilts CCIF (Customer and Communities Improvement Fund) application, and got support from bus companies for the idea as well, but other priorities meant it didnt make the bid itself.

Bus Queen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 20:09:54 »

After talking to Wiltshire Council I was told the following
Issues to do with funding
The bus operators don't receive enough incentive to compensate for offering such a ticket.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 20:18:16 »

I dont buy that I'm afraid. Both First West of England and Faresaver participate in the Freedom Travelpass so it's perfectly possible to do, and there were no objections in principle from the bus operators I approached at the time I was looking into a potential Wiltshire Travelpass.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: