27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 03:11:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Melksham RUG Meeting: March 20, 2019
  • Melksham Hub - planning: March 25, 2019
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Melksham Rail User Group (MRUG) meeting - Wednesday 20th March 2019  (Read 4167 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 04, 2019, 19:13:52 »

Melksham Rail User Group (MRUG» (Melksham Rail User Group - site)) meeting - Wednesday 20th March 2019, Melksham Town Hall, 19:30
Public meeting - all welcome

1. Changes to Car Parking arrangements at Melksham Station from June 2019
2. Melksham Station Hub - Coffee Shop, Information, Warm Waiting and a friendly volunteer smile - update
3. Timetable changes from December 2019 to fit in with new faster main line timetable

These changes are all pretty significant and there are elements of the parking and timetable changes that will not be at all popular. We encourage all users and potential users to come along on 20th and learn from Paul Johnson of TransWilts about car parking and the Hub, and from [one of us to be agreed]  about the likely timetable changes. These have been partially shared with us late in the day, with very limited potential indeed for amendment to suit local needs - but we can try.

Melksham Rails User Group officers meet at the end of this week to finalise the agenda and documentation, and to review possible actions / responses that may come from the meeting.

Further information - info@mrug.org.uk
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:58:19 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:44:11 »

I'm guessing that you've become popular enough at attracting customers that they've decded to start charging for car parking?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 10:03:12 »

I'm guessing that you've become popular enough at attracting customers that they've decded to start charging for car parking?

A somewhat deeper story than that - the secretary / chair / vice chair of MRUG» (Melksham Rail User Group - site) are being briefed / updated on Thursday in preparation for the MRUG meeting to which all are welcome on 20th.  Timing is such that anyone at the TravelWatch SouthWest meeting will be comfortably able to make the Melksham meeting too.

The first figures I was given for Melksham passenger numbers by the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) were around 3,000 journeys per annum. We're now at around 75,000.  If you look at journeys per head of population in the catchment and make comparison, if you talk with people here about, you'll get an understanding that with all of the ducks in a line those numbers should increase to around a quarter of a million.   The number of people parking now roughly equates to the number of spaces in the main car park, and there's a need to provide more (one of the ducks); currently, there's additional parking by the station gate - but that needs to be moved away from all-day parking into a more formally arranged kiss-and-ride area for safety's sake (another duck) ... and so it goes on.  Buses ...

Come along on 20th ... learn more  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 11:08:57 »

I would if I could!....but the same apology to you that I have given to TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website)...I'm in Jersey on the 19th evening & Newcastle on the evening of the 20th already....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 11:19:47 »

I would if I could!....but the same apology to you that I have given to TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website)...I'm in Jersey on the 19th evening & Newcastle on the evening of the 20th already....

No problem, ChrisB - the evening meeting is a public one, but it's "Melksham Rail User Group" - timed for arrivals on "Train 2000" and the previous one, and anticipating that people will be going home locally within the catchment when the meeting finishes. Note for other readers - we will be done in time for the late bus to Bath and I'm sure lifts back to Chippenham or Trowbridge, which have trains running up to a sensible time later in the evening, will be available!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 09:02:54 »

19:30 on Monday 25th March 2019, Melksham Town Council consider the planning application which has been lodged with Wiltshire Council by TransWilts for the Melksham Hub.

https://planning.wiltshire.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/ApplicationSearch.aspx and enter 19/01827/FUL

1 Station Approach Melksham SN12 8BN    Expansion of existing car park by change of use of open storage and administration building to car park, and change of use of administration building to community cafe with associated external facilities including new storage shed.

Melksham Rail User Group officers were briefed by the TransWilts team yesterday in preparation for the meetings on 20th and 25th March.  Initial feedback positive (and so it should be - a great deal of work has gone into making these excellent plans that everyone can get behind).

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:31:39 »

An update on the hub and meeting published into today's Melksham News - page 9 - on line edition at https://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&pubid=e45a5471-2e6d-4694-9a3c-160d71ec9a40 , screen capture at http://www.wellho.net/pix/mkmhub_min_20190314.jpg .

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 07:09:11 »

19:00 on Monday 25th March 2019, Melksham Town Council consider the planning application which has been lodged with Wiltshire Council by TransWilts for the Melksham Hub.

https://planning.wiltshire.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/ApplicationSearch.aspx and enter 19/01827/FUL

Last night, Melksham Town Council discussed (and welcomed) the plans for the Melksham Hub - conversion of exisiting building into a cafe / community facility, provision of extra parking, and safer access from the parking to the station - all part of the Melkahsm Master Plan. All part of a presentation by Paul Johnson of TransWilts.  The plans are in Wiltshire Council application 19/01827/FUL which is open for comment for a further week.  Paul and those involved have done an excellent job of putting all the jigsaw pieces together and I hope this goes though - I would be very surprised if the planners said "no" as I haven't seen any objections and it's well thought through with a "pre-app" test already made.

Full application on the Wiltshire Council web site by that ref. no above.  I have mirrored a copy of the TransWilts overview document {{here}} and sample plans of the whole area {{here}} and of the cafe {{here}}.

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 11:10:54 »

Where the plans propose that the "existing 20 station parking spaces remain as current layout", does this number include the half dozen or so reserved Rail User spaces outside of the boundary fence, and if so what's to happen to the two or three spaces which are reserved for Reeds staff (which is nonsensical given that Reeds no longer rent the property)?

I'm just very conscious that given the potential growth for Melksham station, every potential parking space there is like gold-dust. Considering Westbury station as an example, a new, extended car-park opened just two weeks ago, and this morning there wasn't a space to be found.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 11:57:18 »

Where the plans propose that the "existing 20 station parking spaces remain as current layout", does this number include the half dozen or so reserved Rail User spaces outside of the boundary fence, and if so what's to happen to the two or three spaces which are reserved for Reeds staff (which is nonsensical given that Reeds no longer rent the property)?

I'm just very conscious that given the potential growth for Melksham station, every potential parking space there is like gold-dust. Considering Westbury station as an example, a new, extended car-park opened just two weeks ago, and this morning there wasn't a space to be found.

Transformation of existing spaces and space

CurrentFuture
20 spaces within car parkstay - become part of paid car park
2 spaces just outsidebecome parking for Hub and Railway staff
5 spaces along station fence
 + 1 Disables space
 + 1 Taxi space
 + turning area
become drop off and pickup (4)
 + disabled spaces (4)
 + taxi spaces (2?)
Industial yardAround 36 paid parking places
including 4 with electric charging
+ (or does the 36 include?) 2 for motor cycles

AJ Reed (2) and Novocast (6 ish) spaces all become Novocast (8 ish) spaces, I believe

So:
-PayPickupDisabledTaxiStaff
Now270110
Future564422

There is an interesting discussion to be had with various things going on concerning buses to the station.  With TransWilts CIC (Community Interest Company ) taking on the land and car parking themselves and running it as a business, they're looking to ensure they make sufficient income to be viable.   

There will be customers and potential customers who cannot practically walk to the station, so drive ... but would prefer to use a bus service if one were available. And I am worried that it might be in TransWilts' commercial interest to oppose bus provision, even though it's in their terms of reference to encourage public transport use.

There are people who live in Melksham who cannot easily walk to the station, have no car available, cannot afford a daily taxi, and would make use of the train if only they could get there ... perhaps by bus.  It is in the interest of those people, in the interest of the train operator (more journeys), in the interest of the bus operator (filling more seats - did you see the cry for local passengers in the latest MIN??) to have the minibuses at least calling at the station sooner rather than later.

I have not been aware of this discussion anywhere - though I note that "buses to the station" may be a "soon" subject for some of us but seemed to be much further down the line (if you'll excuse the pun) at last night's presentation to the Town Council.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 12:16:49 »

My suggestion would be for MRUG» (Melksham Rail User Group - site) to push bus provision as hard as they can. On whether or not it is in TransWilts commercial interest or not, I rather suspect it would end up being such a marginal thing that the potential good PR (Public Relations) all round may well end up outweighing the commercial considerations.

In all honesty, with Melksham the biggest problem has always been trying to persuade local authorities and bus companies of the merits of linking the right bus services with the right train services, and that concern would still be top of my list.

grahame - We've worked together on numerous bus and rail proposals in the past, and im more than willing to help you and MRUG have another go on this.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: