Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:25:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • GWR Timetable recast: December 15, 2019 - December 16, 2019
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: December 2019 timetable recast  (Read 49772 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2019, 01:16:23 »

Having had a chance this evening to look through the RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) data I know personally a few people who are not going to be impressed at the large drop in Bristol Parkway/Cardiff services stopping at Didcot as shown.

Apart from a handful at the ends of the day and a couple in the evening peak these have gone altogether. Of course journeys are possible changing at Swindon, but there hasn't been a timetable anything like this since the early 2000s. This certainly was not the impression given by the indicative IET (Intercity Express Train) full service diagrams put out previously; indeed an early one of these had the Cardiff service stopping at Didcot and then non-stop to Paddington!

This stop has in effect been transferred to the second Bristol TM(resolve) service making this two an hour through most of the day.

I think this was due to issues with providing enough freight paths.  Certainly the original intention was to run one from Didcot to Cardiff per hour and one to Bristol, as now.  It's a big loss in terms of ease of getting to South Wales from both Oxford and Didcot and hopefully can be rectified - though to counter that, as you say, the service to Bristol TM improves to 2tph.  The PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)>CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) services generally have a lot of pathing allowances west of Bristol Parkway so I am guessing it has proven difficult to shoehorn them in?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2019, 02:42:54 »

The 2 minute headways on the main out of Paddington are going to be interesting in practice.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2019, 08:43:31 »

Another downside of the new timetable is that the acceleration of the PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)/SWA» (Swansea - next trains) services means that many BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - CDF services need to be re-timed to run after them rather than before them, worsening connections with the Hereford line at Newport.

According to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website), early evening 'connections' at Newport will look like this:
arr from BRI: 1701, 1730, 1804, 1831, 1910
dep to HFD» (Hereford - next trains): 1701, 1731, 1803, 1835, 1909

Until there is a re-cast of the Marches Line timetable, I guess there's not much scope to fix this.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2019, 10:09:03 »

The 2 minute headways on the main out of Paddington are going to be interesting in practice.

That will never work.  The current three minute headway usually gets snarled up somewhere en-route to Reading and then there's Heathrow Express.......

Most mainlines run to a five minute headway with a 10 minute recovery gap every hour to give some breathing room for slight delays.

A quick look at mid-week Far-Southwest services shows a slowing up of overall times to/from Paddington.  For example, back in the 'good old days' the Up Golden Hind Pullman was 0700 off Plymouth, Paddington arrive 0955.  Its new equivalent is 0652 off Plymouth, Paddington arrive 0959.  We seem to have also gone back 40 years to 10 minute stops on most through journeys at Plymouth to allow for set coupling/uncoupling (loco and coach dividing of course in the 'old days').

Be interesting how long it all lasts before it starts to get 'tweeked' again.......

Edit to add: In the peak hour 0800 to 0900 there are going to be 58 scheduled train movements into/out of Paddington.  That will take some doing and require spot on timekeeping and train dispatch proceedures, not something the UK (United Kingdom) rail industry is renowned for (I'll take my cynics hat off for a while now).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:39:49 by SandTEngineer » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2019, 11:36:36 »

Edit to add: In the peak hour 0800 to 0900 there are going to be 58 scheduled train movements into/out of Paddington.  That will take some doing and require spot on timekeeping and train dispatch proceedures, not something the UK (United Kingdom) rail industry is renowned for (I'll take my cynics hat off for a while now).

That's the number I get, for everything that's not a bus (and including depot moves). And in the current timetable that number is ... 57!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2019, 14:41:41 »

That's the number I get, for everything that's not a bus (and including depot moves). And in the current timetable theat number is ... 57!

Yes, but more of them need to cross paths to get to/from the Mains to the lower numbered platforms!

However, STUVING I must learn not to be too over critical of the MDTR, after all BR (British Rail(ways)) failed at every step it took didn't it Tongue Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 14:47:54 by SandTEngineer » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2019, 16:10:45 »

If you look at the hour 1400 to 1500, the total number of movements will go up from the current 43 to 57. So a key point about these extra paths/trains is that they mainly run outside the peaks.

In that peak* hour there are about 30 arrivals of which about 10 are on the reliefs. But one other expected change is the loss of most of the semifasts, leaving room for some extra long-distance trains even in the peak. Twyford and Maidenhead now look to have* (I expect someone more concerned will check this) only one true semifast, the rest are demisemifasts.

* 0800 to 0900 - other peaks hours are available
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2019, 20:15:31 »

I have been looking at the (draft) Dec 19 timetables on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) with my particular interest in Heart of Wessex services. I was expecting little change as predicted and that is largely the case. I have not yet looked at WSB» (Westbury - next trains) connections.

Those party animals in Trowbridge, Westbury and Frome will now get more drinking time. The late service now leaves BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) at 23.45, FRO» (Frome - next trains) 00.45. Good in some respects, less so in others! SWI» (Swindon - next trains) residents not too jealous please.

The more serious issue is the missing 20.21 WEY-BRI on Mo-Fr. I sincerely hope this is an error since otherwise we have a major service reduction. It does seem incredible that the last service will now apparently be at 17.23 which is slightly earlier than currently. Although not usually busy this service clearly provides a public good. Young people often travel Dorchester to Maiden Newton after a social night or study night. Travellers heading West will change at Castle Cary. I can and possibly will list more later.

I have congratulated GWR (Great Western Railway) on running the current service at a reasonable time, allowing some evening activity in Weymouth, Dorchester or Yeovil. This is better than the BR (British Rail(ways)) post-Beeching offer which was at 19.33 in a loco-hauled mail train timing.

The other strange issue is that the three inbound evening trains to WEY, all still run apparently delivering an "extra" set to WEY.

The only mitigating factor is the late SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service from Castle Cary  to WSB/SAL but this does not address the main market.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2019, 20:45:49 »

Is this the train you are looking for WSW Frome?
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y96048/2019/12/16/advanced
Now the 2015 service all the way to Gloucester arriving at 2338! Now there’s a service for some late evening Turbo action, a journey from Weymouth all the way to Gloucester.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2019, 22:08:30 »

One thing that I noticed, and I believe Graham picked up on it some time ago as well, is that the 2O00 1741 Cheltenham to Southampton via Melksham will be starting from Gloucester from December. This breaks a useful connection off a southbound NE/SW XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train.

Whilst a connection is still made with with a Nottingham to Cardiff XC train at Gloucester, anyone coming from further north than Derby needs to Change twice (Brum or Cheltenham and Gloucester) rather than just the one change at Cheltenham at present.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2019, 22:34:06 »

Whilst I'm not aware the Heart of Wessex is scheduled for any notable improvements, I'd be very surprised if the service was reduced as I haven't seen anything to suggest it would. Cutting first or last trains definitely wouldn't go down well.

Compared to the improvement on many other rural lines (Barnstaple and Looe for instance), it's striking how little improvement there's been on that line over the years in any case. All year round Sunday services (albeit having travelled on a few I can see why they didn't run before) and using a HST (High Speed Train) on the summer Saturday special were admittedly improvements. However my 1991-92 timetable shows the same number of trains running then as now, and an all stations service then took 2 hours 11 minutes. It's usually at least 10 minutes longer now despite stopping at the exact same 18 stations as before. Not exactly progress.

It's fairly obvious why - resources are concentrated at the busier northern end of the line and it shares tracks with the Great Western, Devon & Cornwall direct and South Western mainlines, so local trains have to be flighted between intercity services and have to travel over a 30 mile single line, meaning long waits at any of Dorchester West, Maiden Newton, Yeovil Pen Mill, Castle Cary, Frome or Westbury on numerous trains. I can understand that and the fact the line is never going to be a priority but it's still annoying. The Turbos are hardly a step up either with 2+3 seating and air conditioning which makes the 158s look reliable - and the higher 90mph top speed isn't going to make any discernible difference if you stop 19 times in 87 miles, particularly given that only Bristol-Bath, Westbury-Castle Cary and Dorchester-Weymouth allow over 75mph running anyway.

Ah well nevermind. The improvements on other rural lines are still welcome.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2019, 22:43:52 »

Is this the train you are looking for WSW Frome?
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y96048/2019/12/16/advanced
Now the 2015 service all the way to Gloucester arriving at 2338! Now there’s a service for some late evening Turbo action, a journey from Weymouth all the way to Gloucester.

It's booked a 158 at the moment but mass changes in the pipeline involving that class
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2019, 19:10:08 »

So many thanks to Timmer for waving the magic wand and reinstating the later Mo-Fr evening service WEY-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)/GCR» (Gloucester - next trains). I can assure everyone that this service was not in the RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) listing (along the route) last Sunday or early Monday evening. I looked several times.

The timing for this revised service at 20.15 is shown as a Class 150, not a 158 as current. So the journey is about 5 mins longer to WSB» (Westbury - next trains). Mind you the 158 timings nearly always get delayed now - for no apparent reason of hold-ups or excess passengers. As the departure is now closer to the previous arrival at 20.06, let us hope there is no waiting around for a delayed incomer just to give the WSB crew a lift back home. The 20.21/20.15 train is normally formed from the previous incoming unit. 

dhassell

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2019, 20:53:17 »

From December, Pilning services change from 08:34 (Taunton) to 08:32 to Penzance and from 15:34 (to Taunton) to become 14:32 to Taunton.
Notice the current 15:34 is now meant to pass Pilning at 15:30 from December but still arrives same time at Taunton.
One hour less to start with limits some of the possible day destinations straight away...
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2019, 22:27:05 »

So many thanks to Timmer for waving the magic wand and reinstating the later Mo-Fr evening service WEY-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)/GCR» (Gloucester - next trains). I can assure everyone that this service was not in the RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) listing (along the route) last Sunday or early Monday evening. I looked several times.

The timing for this revised service at 20.15 is shown as a Class 150, not a 158 as current. So the journey is about 5 mins longer to WSB» (Westbury - next trains). Mind you the 158 timings nearly always get delayed now - for no apparent reason of hold-ups or excess passengers. As the departure is now closer to the previous arrival at 20.06, let us hope there is no waiting around for a delayed incomer just to give the WSB crew a lift back home. The 20.21/20.15 train is normally formed from the previous incoming unit. 

It will probably be worked by a Turbo which use the 150/3/5/6 timings.  As the plan goes (subject to late running) there will be no 158s in the area.     How are we discussing this on 2 different threads on 2 different boards

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: