I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:53:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • GWR Timetable recast: December 15, 2019 - December 16, 2019
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: December 2019 timetable recast  (Read 49785 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2019, 20:26:46 »

Grahame, you need to go and stand in the 'Naughty Corner'.  They are CURVES not CORNERS.... Grin
I sometimes wonder . . .

So do I - surely I should be sent to the naughty curve?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2019, 20:36:34 »

Grahame, you need to go and stand in the 'Naughty Corner'.  They are CURVES not CORNERS.... Grin
I sometimes wonder . . .

So do I - surely I should be sent to the naughty curve?

Grin  Grin
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2019, 21:31:06 »

Enough to drive me round the bend! 
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2019, 17:53:16 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) just tweeted:

We will be at Swindon station from 8 - 11 tomorrow morning to answer your questions about the changes we are making to the timetable in December. Come and join us for a chat about how your journey may be affected. #MeetTheManager #AllChange2019
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2019, 20:44:31 »

Special GWR (Great Western Railway) train run posts modern speed record
Wednesday 25th September 2019

A new modern speed record has been set on a train from Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington to celebrate the release of Great Western Railway’s new timetable, which comes into effect on 15 December.

GWR’s bullet-style Intercity Express Train, which has been in service since October 2017 and now operates on all of GWR’s long-distance routes, took just 72 minutes to reach London Paddington.

Last night’s special non-stop service marked the new December timetable being made public for the first time. The biggest timetable change on the network since 1976 will offer faster journey times and more frequent services to key locations.

The service left Bristol Temple Meads at 1849 and arrived into London Paddington at 2001 to establish a post-speed restriction record between the two stations.

GWR Managing Director Mark Hopwood was accompanied on board last night’s special service by guests and local businesses. He said:

“This special run shows just what these Intercity Express Trains are capable of.

“It is less than 12 weeks until the timetable change on Sunday, December 15, and the timing of almost every single train we run will be different. The IETs (Intercity Express Train) will be critical to us delivering even more frequent services and quicker journeys.

“Customers will see the fastest journey times between Bristol Temple Meads and London Paddington cut to 1 hour 19 minutes – 17 minutes faster than is possible today. And journey times into London, non-stop from Bristol Parkway, will be cut to just 1 hour 8 minutes.”

Network Rail Operations Manager, Western, Gary Abbott said:

“We’re now able to fully realise the significant benefits from our investment in the rail infrastructure. Setting this new speed record shows what is possible, and we will continue to work with GWR to deliver timetable and journey time improvements in December.”

The new December timetable is so significant, especially for those who travel regularly and are used to catching a particular service every day, that GWR has launched an awareness campaign to highlight the changes ahead, and make sure customers are prepared. It is encouraging customers to find out more at www.gwr.com.

Notes to editors

The Rail Performance Society (RPS) records fastest times in two categories – pre-2008 and post-2008. This reflects the introduction of safer driving practices and speed restrictions from 2008.

According to the RPS, the quickest time recorded between Bristol Temple Meads and London Paddington pre-2008 was 68 minutes 19 seconds, set on 7 May 1977 by a High Speed Train.

Until last night, no speed record had been measured between the two stations post-2008.

Great Western Railway (GWR) provides high speed, commuter, regional and branch line train services. We help over 100 million passengers reach their destinations every year - across South Wales, the West Country, the Cotswolds, and large parts of Southern England.

We’re currently seeing the biggest investment in the network since Brunel so we can offer more trains, more seats, and shorter, more frequent journeys and continue the network’s heritage of helping connect more businesses to new and prosperous markets. Through a series of initiatives we aim to be a good neighbour to the communities we serve and are committed to making a positive social impact in those regions. Learn how we're Building a Greater West at GWR.com. GWR is a FirstGroup company.

Source: GWR

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
initiation

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2019, 20:52:23 »

Disappointed with the changes to Bristol/Yatton (and by extension Bristol/Weston services).

A particularly annoyance is the loss of the 2121. This moves half an hour earlier meaning there is only ~10mins between trains but then an hour gap between 9 and 10pm. A second 1 hour gap to 11pm also remains (the 2306 is always a busy service).
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2019, 16:26:28 »

Some meet the team events with the timetable changes in mind.

"This will be an opportunity to meet GWR (Great Western Railway) colleagues and raise any questions – they don’t have to be specifically related to the timetable."

October:

Friday 4 October - Filton Abbey Wood 0700-0930

Tuesday 8th October - Exeter St Davids 0730-1030

Wednesday 9th October - Reading 0700-1000

Thursday 10th October - Bristol Temple Meads 1600-1900

Wednesday 16th October - Slough 0630-1000

Wednesday 16th October - Bristol Parkway 0645-0845

Wednesday 16th October - Bristol Parkway 1630-1830

Thursday 17th October - Exeter Central 1530-1815

Friday 18th October - Westbury 0700-1000

Monday 21st October - Didcot Parkway 0700-1000

Wednesday 23rd October - Chippenham 0700-0930

Thursday 24th October - Oxford 0700-1000

Friday 25th October - Tiverton Parkway 0730-0900

Thursday 31st October - Plymouth 0700-1000

November:

Tuesday 5th November - Gloucester 0615-0915

Wednesday 6th November - Cheltenham Spa 0615-0915

Wednesday 6th November - Maidenhead 0700-1000

Wednesday 6th November - Newton Abbot 0730-1000

Thursday 7th November - Bath Spa 0600-0900

Wednesday 13th November - Twyford 1600-1900

Wednesday 13th November - Truro 0830-1130

Tuesday 19th November - Newbury 0630-1000

Tuesday 19th November - Penzance 1000-1300

Wednesday 20th November - Weston-super-Mare 1500-1800

December:

Thursday 5th December - London Paddington 1600-1900
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2019, 17:51:48 »

I suppose Newton Abbot will have to do for Torquay and Paignton; the third and fourth biggest towns in Devon and Cornwall.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2019, 22:37:33 »

Regarding the Meet The Manager sessions I believe that there was a session at Paddington on Tuesday this week - The first since 2016 I believe.
I challenged gwr about the promotion or lack thereof for this programme of events as the only event on their website is Gloucester 3 months ago. They conceded that more effort needs to be made and will be promoting these more vigourously and accurately. Or so I’m told.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2019, 10:50:43 »

There was as I walked past it as I arrived at 7.20am although it wasn't entirely clear what it was. To be fair though it looked like they were still setting up.

First time I was aware of it happening and of course that was the day I needed to get into the office on time. Not sure how long it was being run for but they weren't there for my journey home in the evening.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2019, 12:14:53 »

I have heard a rumour that the major timetable alteration that was planned for this December is being cancelled again, due to concerns about IET (Intercity Express Train) availability. (minor alterations are of course possible and could be "re-branded" as a major alteration)

I heard the rumour from a group of GWR (Great Western Railway) office staff enjoying a day out at the West Somerset Railway gala.
The shortage of rolling stock was given as the main reason, not only have IETs failed to achieve the hoped for level of reliability, older stock is also in short supply.

Well, unless there is an almighty last minute u-turn those rumours turned out to be a load of cobblers unfounded...

I doubt that the planned changes will be COMPLETLY postponed, or abandoned, too much loss of face ! Much more likely IMO (in my opinion) is a gradual or phased introduction, with very, very little in the first phase taking place this December.

...and a certain crystal ball could do with another polish.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2019, 09:39:51 »

From GWR (Great Western Railway) - Phil Delaney's presentation on Friday 11th to GWR Stakeholders

Noting electric to Newport by the timetable change, to Cardiff on 6th January 2020. Severn Tunnel excepted - pan down at Pilning and up at Severn Tunnel Junction.  With the 75 mph limit through the tunnel "diesel operation will not effect timekeeping".

Severn Tunnel issues reported as being a short across insulators with a "very strange" substance causing short to earth - not know what it is.  University of Cardiff are researching it and once established what it is (and where it comes from) there will be a need to work out how to best deal with it, then a need to implement those things that have been worked out.  GWR / Network Rail sure it will be done, but no timescale was offered (nor did any member of the audience ask for one in questions).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2019, 10:10:08 »

What did he say specifically about Sunday working? What progress is being made and how?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2019, 10:28:42 »

What did he say specifically about Sunday working? What progress is being made and how?

Acknowledged that they have a risk / still work to do because of established practise.

The story through the day on staffing from 15th December (for all days of the week) had, to my ears, some inconsistencies.  It was suggested that training programs, testing and some inefficient diagrams are completed at that time and all the drivers are then available for trains.  But then another speaker was telling us of 318 (?) people in training to drive, and picked on an example of someone who joined very recently - and I would be pretty sure that that lady will not be able to take a diagram on her own come the new timetable - rather she'll join the contributing workforce at a later date - guessing, perhaps, in the spring.

I would suspect there's a degree of balance here - most programs completed, but some / those which top up the wastage than naturally occurs very much continuing.

Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2019, 11:47:16 »

So Cornish commuters will no longer be allowed to use the down Sleeper train with the new timetable change. Instead, the first train of the morning with be a Cross-Country service at 07.20 (a revision of the service that is frequently cancelled). So plenty of empty 2+2 seats then.

Not exactly ‘progress’.

(Mods, please move to wherever, sorry!)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: