Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:57:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • GWR Timetable recast: December 15, 2019 - December 16, 2019
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
  Print  
Author Topic: December 2019 timetable recast  (Read 49793 times)
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2019, 13:43:01 »

Quick timetable question.

I was about to book my regular Twyford to Carmarthen ticket for December 19th and it looks like the direct train from Paddington/Reading has gone? Is that the case or just a glitch?

It saves me some money but is a much less comfortable journey for the last bit of the trip.

Edit: Doing a search London to Carmarthen shows a direct train at 18.16 but it doesn't appear if I search Twyford to Carmarthen. All options telling me I have to change at Swansea. Now need to work out how to buy a ticket for the journey I want to make with a seat reservation.

Edit 2: Answered my own question. Its non stop to Bristol.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 14:40:05 by Sixty3Closure » Logged
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2019, 15:24:30 »

I wonder how many of those 800 sit in front of a screen all day? could they do that in say, Pewsey instead?

A fundamental question - "why are we commuting [so much]". 

My answer to this is "My current Manager" who seems to think it's more important for us to be in the office (however long it takes to get there) than the work we do.. I imagine there are a few more like him around.. We have a lot of offshore resource in India and I can chat to them as easily from home as I can from London.. I just need to convince him of that (though my efforts so far haven't worked). Having said that we are under a major review so it will all change in the next 6 months (fingers crossed).
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2019, 11:13:02 »

Interesting listening to a conversation between two drivers this morning, how they were discussing how GWR (Great Western Railway) are already aware there are not enough drivers available for the additional services into London from the timetable changes
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2019, 11:22:04 »

Interesting listening to a conversation between two drivers this morning, how they were discussing how GWR (Great Western Railway) are already aware there are not enough drivers available for the additional services into London from the timetable changes
Look forward to Mark Hopwood's response to that when we do Meet the Managing Director on the 5th of November.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2019, 11:57:49 »

I know someone who is incredibly keen to become a railway driver to the extent that he has chatted to GWR (Great Western Railway) staff at stations, including drivers, to see what he needs to prep up on to successfully apply. I don't know how easy the transition is from Petrol Tanker HGV to railway driver but I would imagine both share a need for consistent presence of mind.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2019, 16:05:43 »

Many dozens of trainees currently going through the training course.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2019, 17:26:22 »

Many dozens of trainees currently going through the training course.

I guess they've got about 6 weeks to get them ready!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2019, 18:35:49 »

I am told paper timetables will be at stations imminently and pdf versions will be on the website over the weekend.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2019, 18:40:34 »

I am told paper timetables will be at stations imminently and pdf versions will be on the website over the weekend.

Indeed, paper timetables are available now.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2019, 22:35:17 »

That’s good news. Bit perplexed that if printed timetables are now available at stations why pdfs couldn’t have been placed online sooner, especially as this is such a major timetable change. However a month out is better than it has been of late. Gone are the days when FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) used to be one of the first TOCs (Train Operating Company) to publish timetables well in advance of a timetable change.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2019, 23:28:22 »

Apparently when people see them online they then try to pick up a paper copy at their local station.  All stations should have them by Monday so hence putting them on line over the weekend makes sense.

In recent years the paper copies have been much later appearing.  There is a danger with the earlier release in that people pick up a copy and think it applies from now but personally I think that’s a risk worth running.  The cover does have the date on it!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2019, 07:28:49 »

Apparently when people see them online they then try to pick up a paper copy at their local station.  All stations should have them by Monday so hence putting them on line over the weekend makes sense.

In recent years the paper copies have been much later appearing.  There is a danger with the earlier release in that people pick up a copy and think it applies from now but personally I think that’s a risk worth running.  The cover does have the date on it!
Yes I can sort of see the reasons why. I’ve seen other TOCs (Train Operating Company) put them in racks more then a month out with a label denoting that this is the new forthcoming timetable. I think most people understand that.

At least when they do appear online and at stations the GWR (Great Western Railway)  social media team won’t have to keep answering why aren’t they available to view online. GWR have done a great job spreading the word about the new timetable without actually publishing the one thing people want to see...the new timetable!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2019, 14:41:41 »

Hmm.  No sign of the paper copies at Plymouth station just one hour ago....... Roll Eyes
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2019, 14:52:05 »

Timetables now online on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2019, 15:06:47 »

Reducing commute distances or even working from home a lot of the time are, yet again, more carbon friendly and should make for a better quality of life (social interaction permitting - "the loneliness of the home worker").
Having said that I'm currently working in rural Wales all week and while there's many positives I'm definitely suffering from the 'loneliness of the home worker'. It also makes my job so much harder as while I can VOIP, Zoom and email its still not the same as just going finding someone and having a chat or gathering a couple of people together.
Good points. And the obverse to the loneliness (and organisational difficulties) of the how worker is the loneliness of the long distance commuter, who spends more time away from home and family than they would like. Somewhere between these two, there is a happy balance – but a lot of us aren't finding it.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
  Print  

Jump to: