I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:16:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: North Camp - Ash Vale interchange  (Read 12352 times)
sunfire

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2019, 12:18:47 »

Hohum here was me hoping GWR (Great Western Railway) and SWR» (South Western Railway - about) would work to NR» (Network Rail - home page) to fix the long waiting times at the North Camp - Ash Vale interchange.

Currently in the evenings I have to wait 20-30 minutes for a train from Ash Vale on to Alton because their timetables don't match up.

The May timetable was the perfect to start looking at fixing but there don't appear to be any changes to the timetables to try and start fixing this.

No signs of any improvements on the the North Downs line at any point in the near future either.

Bit of a Cinderella service to be honest.

* : (
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 12:46:46 »

Welcome to the forum, Sunfire ...

I am aware that GWR (Great Western Railway) have been looking to increase their services on the North Downs line from 2 to 3 per hour, but I understand that there are issues with level crossing safety yet to be resolved (as I understand it, more trains = higher risk).   And GWR trains are due to go up to 4 carriages, and be changed to a type that can run on electric power on the electric sections, at the end of the year.

Not sure how the extra trains, and the potential changes in train performance with 'bi-modes', will effect timetables - I'll leave that for others to comment on.

Connections aren't highest priority on train operator's lists, I'm afraid ... though a little local help to inform them of concerns / user groups / CRPs (Community Rail Partnership) etc can be a big help.   Remember that their eyes are very much on meeting their contract which rarely includes connection times ... and they have hundreds of stations to look after and can so easily overlook opportunities to improve services.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 13:09:59 »

Yes, indeed, welcome Sunfire.

That particular connection time is probably about as low down the operators' priority list as you can get. It's between operators, the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) timetable is too complex to change for it; the North Downs is a long(ish) cross-country run, it meets several other lines, and it has its timing set by the busy stations it has to share (Gatwick/Redhill and Guildford). So even if there is a will (and there may not be) you will probably end up with what you end up with.

I've had these "walking legs" crop up quite often when looking at journeys from Wokingham to the south or south-west, but hardly even actually done it - in part because the timing (walk plus wait) makes rail an unatractive mode. I'm not even sure about their status; while the NR» (Network Rail - home page) Journey Planner does offer them, I can't see anything in the Routeing Guide that says they are even permitted routes.

But, as a regular user, how many other people do you reckon use that interchange (or the Farnborough one)?
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 14:42:37 »

Not sure how the extra trains, and the potential changes in train performance with 'bi-modes', will effect timetables - I'll leave that for others to comment on.
Welcome Sunfire.

That walk/delay does look unfavourable to say the least. The SWR» (South Western Railway - about) peak time departures to Alton from Waterloo miss out a couple of stops like Brookwood which makes for an earlier arrival at Ash Vale, breaking your connection (off-peak it can probably be made off the Redhill train in the 'official' 11 minutes allowed if you walk briskly and easily off the Gatwick Airport one from North Camp).

Another couple of thoughts - those heading the other way, from Guildford to Bentley and Alton will now generally have a bit longer to wait at Aldershot as a result of the May change.

Presumably the class 769s will have to switch over from diesel to electric while stationary and not all trains stop at Ash. Potentially running on diesel all the way from Wokingham to Reigate for those faster services?
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 14:44:48 »

I can't remember where I read it, but I think Ash Vale has missed out on the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) disability funding pot or whatever it is called; so more trudging up the stairs (for those fortunate enough to be able to).
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 21:19:15 »

And a welcome from me too - good to see another North Downs line passenger on the forum.

Are we correct in assuming that you are coming from Guildford to North Camp? If so, perhaps you might want to "like" my suggestion on 5 April (see - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=21342.0) that the new split Guildford to Farnham service be extended to Alton.

This is not the only inconvenient change of train timing for the North Downs service, I'm afraid.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 07:44:28 »

Welcome. Ash Vale was not in the latest list of stations to get accessibility funding announced in the last week or so. It would be a major job. Any time I save cycling from North Camp I lose puffing up the stairs.
FenMan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 16:03:27 »

I've had these "walking legs" crop up quite often when looking at journeys from Wokingham to the south or south-west, but hardly even actually done it - in part because the timing (walk plus wait) makes rail an unatractive mode. I'm not even sure about their status; while the NR» (Network Rail - home page) Journey Planner does offer them, I can't see anything in the Routeing Guide that says they are even permitted routes.

But, as a regular user, how many other people do you reckon use that interchange (or the Farnborough one)?

Hi, another North Downs regular here. These walking interchanges are both permitted routes. SWR» (South Western Railway - about) offer some cheaper tickets for some flows via these interchanges e.g. the Blackwater - Basingstoke Anytime Return via Farnborough North/Farnborough Main is £10 whereas GWR (Great Western Railway) charge £13.50 for the route via Reading.

Primarily these interchanges are for passengers travelling to/from stations to Reading and beyond. Off peak, 3 or 4 passengers per train arriving at North Camp from the Reading direction will walk to Ash Vale. Many more do this at peak times - the main flow is Reading <-> Aldershot.

Similar numbers alight at Farnborough North and walk to Farnborough Main (16 minutes).

National Rail Enquiries mandates a 17 minute minimum connection between North Camp and Ash Vale, but any reasonably fit adult without heavy luggage will walk it in 9 or 10 minutes, making connections possible that NRE(resolve) doesn't display. My rule of thumb is that if the actual arrival at North Camp or Ash Vale is 12 minutes or more before the scheduled departure of the connecting service then it's safe to make the change without breaking into a trot!

Similarly the walk between the Farnborough stations takes 16 minutes (I am 60), making a 20 minute connection perfectly feasible.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 19:26:53 »

Thanks FenMan - that's rather what I expected. But for BAW-BSK (Brake Standard Corridor (carriage)) the Routeing Guide doesn't come into it, as there are two fares for Via Reading and Via Farnborough North. From further up or down the line the fare difference disappears and it becomes an Any Permitted (I think either via Reading or via Woking), and walking is an optional alternative.

What triggered my puzzlement about this was wanting to go from Wokingham to Brookwood. That's short but topologically challenged - a bit like trying to cross a complicated road junction on foot, and seeing the other side but being unable to see any route there. The only journeys I was offered by the NR» (Network Rail - home page) OJP (Online Journey Planner) involved walking, unless I looked early or late in the day. So, if someone was not inclined to walk (not unlikely if you are visiting a cemetery!), what are the permitted alternatives? The routeing guide is not a sensible answer to the question, but does as a formality tell you.

The NRG gives: via Ascot and Ash Vale (including doubling back at Woking*), via Virginia Water and Weybridge, and via Reading and Baskingstoke(!). The OJP too gives via Ascot and via Virginia Water at odd times, but also via Guildford and Woking which costs extra - apart from that it's all walkies. I didn't see via Basingstoke offered, except overnight and followed by an error message, but when forced to it's quite happy with it (at the same £12.20/£12.10 day return fare, but more if doubling back at Woking). 

So to my mind there is still an academic question as to where in the Routeing Guide it says you can break your journey on one line and join it on another - or come to that what are we meant to do with an "Interchange" (one of those orange blobs on the maps).

*I think this is a pointless relic of a time when some trains stopped at Ash Vale but not Brookwood.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 07:08:41 »

This is the mental problem I have when I want to follow the Basingstoke Canal. If I do the first section, western end to Ash Vale; do I go to Basingstoke (Winchfield) from Reading and then Ash Vale back to Reading? If so what is the legitimate ticket.

Do the second section, Ash Vale to Woking, is not such a problem as Stuving suggests. Also the third section, Woking to the eastern end using Byfleet and New Haw doesn't seem so problematic.
FenMan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 10:49:49 »

The NRG gives: via Ascot and Ash Vale (including doubling back at Woking*), via Virginia Water and Weybridge, and via Reading and Baskingstoke(!). The OJP (Online Journey Planner) too gives via Ascot and via Virginia Water at odd times, but also via Guildford and Woking which costs extra - apart from that it's all walkies. I didn't see via Basingstoke offered, except overnight and followed by an error message, but when forced to it's quite happy with it (at the same £12.20/£12.10 day return fare, but more if doubling back at Woking). 

Sorry, I don't visit this forum very often and have just seen your post.

A routeing that doesn't involve walking or buying two tickets is available, but you may lose the will to live en route due to the lengthy journey time caused by poor connections. Here's an itinerary for Monday morning:-

11:13 d: Wokingham
11:37 a: Ash
-------
12:03 d. Ash
12:10 a: Aldershot
-------
12:34 d: Aldershot
12:46 a: Brookwood

Unfortunately it is very difficult to "force" NRE(resolve) to display this route.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 15:53:09 »

Unfortunately it is very difficult to "force" NRE(resolve) to display this route.

I missed that possibility before because it isn't in the routeing guide or offered voluntarily by the OJP (Online Journey Planner). Now that is bizarre, as it must be the shortest route in miles along track. But does that explain why the OJP is so reluctant to show it - if it's not a permitted route?

For this case the routeing point would be Ash Vale, and for WKM-AHV the NRG "yellow pages" give only map WW. That map doesn't even include the line from Wokingham to North Camp, so the only route it can validate is via Ascot. (To BKO there are two other routeing points).

I asked OJP for routes and fares just for WKM-AHV. Simple answer - plan A - £6 off-peak single to North Camp and walk (that's the CDS (Off Peak Day Single [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) fare to North Camp). Force it via Aldershot, and it offers £14.80 via Ascot, or £10.40 to follow plan A and then do a return trip to Aldershot! Both of those are flagged as needing to tickets, so here OJP is not offering a permitted route at the "any permitted" fare!

Force it via Ash as well and it crashes, and just via Ash produces £14.90 off-peak via Guildford and Aldershot, or - at last - £7.30 changing at Ash and Aldershot. But the warning about two tickets only applies to going via Guildford, so the OJP thinks via Ash is a permitted route (and £7.30 is the only listed WKM-AHV fare, both anytime and off-peak at the same price).

There are three extra quirks visible here:

If your walk to you destination (AHV) you are charged for the journey without it (to NCM). So you don't pay to walk - which is fair enough - but if you walk part of the way mid-journey you pay the same as for train throughout.

The OJP has a secret supply of  routes it permits that the NRG doesn't - not just routes with walking legs, or indeed any off-network legs (not mentioned in the NRG but timetabled in the data feeds) but WKM-AVH via ASH too.

One permitted route (WKM-AHV on map WW) is offered by OJP but not at the "any permitted" (only) fare.

Somebody's not being at all clever here.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 19:04:42 »

Watching this morning's TV on the D-day anniversary, someone was listing the groups of women involved in the liberation effort - as different as SOE and Bletchley. But they missed out military nurses, QAIMNS* and others, and that's been generally true of all the reflection on WW2 and WW1 recently.

The WW1 nurses we heard most about last November were the VADs or FANYs (partly because some became writers, of course). But those were really nursing auxiliaries, volunteers trained in first aid, while military hospitals were staffed mainly by QAIMNS. In WW2 there was less place for amateurs, but trained nurses volunteered in large numbers for the QAIMNSR (i.e. the reserve, greatly outnumbering the peacetime establishment). One of them was my Dad's cousin Isobel Spence.

And that's why I was visiting Brookwood (if you were wondering what the link was). There are many distinct cemetery areas there, one of which is the Brookwood Military Cemetery, and within that is the Brookwood Memorial (1939-45 Memorial to the Missing). That commemorates those killed abroad but with no known grave or other memorial, many lost at sea. Among them are the 1220 men and 77 women who died in the sinking of the SS Khedive Ismail, a troop ship, by a Japanese submarine on 5th February 1944 off the Maldives. That was the largest single loss of British servicewomen ever, and of the 54 from the QAIMNS on board, 9 survived. Isobel was 23.

*Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service, now the Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 07:02:24 »

A time for remembrance. FANY (First Aid Nursing Yeomanry) could be a bit of a misnomer in WWII (World War 2 - 1939 to 1945) as a proportion of its members were diverted to SOE and similar organisations.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: