21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:48:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[65] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[58] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[49] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[26] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 'BETTER OFF WITHOUT FGW'  (Read 18708 times)
woody

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2008, 13:30:27 »

The South West would "very definitely" be a better place if First Great Western was kicked off the railways, the head of the region's transport board said last night.

In the latest high-profile attack on the beleaguered firm, Julian Johnson told MPs (Member of Parliament) he was "very concerned" about FGW (First Great Western)'s performance and he would be "happier" if a different company was in charge of train services in the region.
 http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=181429&command=displayContent&sourceNode=229968&home=yes&more_nodeId1=133174&contentPK=20195511
 What do you think?
WashuChan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 15:03:43 »

I don't think kicking them off entirely is the right idea, perhaps the line's they truely *are* screwing up instead or giving them one last chance to improve before kicking them swiftly off the network and finding someone who *can* run a service. But again, with change comes problems, I await the "X Company is rubbish, bring up FGW (First Great Western)" within the first months of a new company running.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 17:08:56 »

Julian Johnson is the chairman of the South West Regional Assembly's Regional Transport Board and was appearing in front of the Transport Select Committee on the same day as Tom Harris (link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2132.msg16047#msg16047

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 18:10:16 »

Under FGW (First Great Western):
HSTs (High Speed Train) have more seats
fares are lower
trains are being refurbished to much higher standard than Distressex!
there are improved HSS (High Speed Services) across the region

I honestly think that things are looking much, much better and its a pretty decent service nowadays.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 19:19:03 »

fares are lower

I honestly think that things are looking much, much better and its a pretty decent service nowadays.

cannot comment on the fare issue.

but i agree sets are refurbished to a decent standard shame the 150's are not as good as 158 and 153 but that is probably because it is pullman and not wabtec doing them.
although i would say it is about time dmu services were taken more seriously instead of hss always being the main concern.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 20:01:55 »

fares are lower

but i agree sets are refurbished to a decent standard shame the 150's are not as good as 158 and 153 but that is probably because it is pullman and not wabtec doing them.
The 150's were very extensively refurbished by Wessex and they needed very little work done on them hence the samll scale refurb and if you want cheap fares just come to Cornwall and get a CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')).
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 20:59:10 »

although i would say it is about time dmu services were taken more seriously instead of hss always being the main concern.
This was the main problem when First took the franchise.....they weren't interested in the 'local' services whatsoever. But thanks to a lot of bad press, forums and blogs like this, and MP (Member of Parliament)'s chunterings, things are changing. I think credit should be given to Mr Haines and his new(ish) team, they certainly do seem to be trying to address the main problems.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 22:25:20 »

What do you think?

As I've posted elsewhere, I am a passenger, I don't work for First Great Western, and I don't think FGW (First Great Western) losing the franchise is a realistic option. I'm becoming a bit of a fan of Andrew Haines and the team he's brought in: I think he's the right man for the job of turning FGW around, and I'd like to see him being given a chance to produce even better results!

I agree, d_m: I'm not half as grumpy on the platforms at Nailsea or BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) as I used to be!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 22:27:13 »

So Julian reckons the South West is gonna be a better place if FGW (First Great Western) got booted out...never heard of the bloke.
What i want to know is who is going to run it and make the massive improvements Julian wants??

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 23:01:37 »

fares are lower

Local fares in Devon and Cornwall are FAR cheaper than Wessex days, and bear in mind that more people travel off peak in Devon and Cornwall so the cheap CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))'s are a real benefit!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 01:05:10 »

For cry sake, they have a clause in the franchise that states that no blame should be given to DfT» (Department for Transport - about) for franchise problems;

thus suggesting that they either predict the franchise to go balls up or that they are not railway professionals and instead accountants...

Are you referring to a clause in the franchise agreement itself, or one of the other related documents, devon_metro?

So Julian reckons the South West is gonna be a better place if FGW (First Great Western) got booted out...never heard of the bloke.
What i want to know is who is going to run it and make the massive improvements Julian wants??

If FGW were to be stripped of the franchise, then it would initially be run by the DfT's "Operator Of Last Resort", First Class Partnerships, who previously fulfilled the same role with South Eastern after Connex were stripped of the franchise (link below.)
http://www.firstclasspartnerships.com/operator-of-last-resort.php

First Class Partnerships would also give advice on the issues surrounding any potential removal of the franchise in the first place.

As for potential "massive improvements", I make no judgement as to whether any would be forthcoming or not......

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 02:26:22 »

fares are lower

It depends on where you look at if from.  Here's my local picture

Under FGW:
60% of trains have been withdrawn
Buy-on-the-day cheapest weekday London fare up from 38 pounds to 115 pounds
Cancellation rate up from 2.7% of trains to 7% of trains
Longest daytime service gap up from 4 hours 23 minutes to 11 hours 54 minutes

When the passenger - the customer - is looking for a reliable service, running at appropriate times, and a price that's reasonable, I think that in our neck of the woods that at present First Great Western appear to have failed on all counts.

P.S.  Gaf71 wrote:
I think credit should be given to Mr Haines and his new(ish) team, they certainly do seem to be trying to address the main problems.

Yes, and Mr Haines specifically mentioned Salisbury to Swindon - the line I refer to - in a speech I heard him mae to representatives from all across the South West at the beginning of this month.  The problem is that we were asked for inputs for the December 2006 timetable, and changes directly opposed to those we asked for were made betwene draft and final. We were lead to believe that a major improvement - back to something closer to an appropriate service - was planned for December 2007, but that melted away. And here we are in 2008 with more promises along the same lines.

I wouldn't want Mr Haines' job - and it's really hard to know just what he can say / do at this point after two previous letdowns from the same company. The words are right, and the ifs and buts Mr Haines and others mention seem honest.  The track record is abysmal, though.  First would do well for the people of Wiltshire who are currently disenfranchised from the train by announcing that they WILL run the service that they currently have in draft from next December, even is it means that they have to spend 1/60000 th (one sixty thousandth) of the money they're paying for the franchise on it.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:52:44 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 12:27:17 »

I appreciate your comments on Melksham and you are right in that instance, but improvements elsware are coming thick and fast, for example, Hayle on the Cornish main line gets a far better service from May, bear in mind that the origional franchise spec was for something like 6 trains per day with a 7 hour gap westbound! from May it has an almost hourly service all day in both directions, it was only two hourly under Wesssex, not to mention that it will have 6 direct services to London per day, about time really as there are two major holiday parks within a mile of the town! Saltash and St Germans are also faring well from may with the same amount of trains as they previously had even though the franchise spec was pathetic, also, both have direct services to London now, and you do see one or two people with through tickets from St Germans/Saltash to London, people who may previously have driven to Plymouth or Liskeard. Personally speaking I don't like HST (High Speed Train)'s stopping at these small stations as it slows journey times down, but it's great for the people in those villiages.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 13:29:11 »

Saltash and St Germans are also faring well from may with the same amount of trains as they previously had even though the franchise spec was pathetic, also, both have direct services to London now, and you do see one or two people with through tickets from St Germans/Saltash to London, people who may previously have driven to Plymouth or Liskeard. Personally speaking I don't like HST (High Speed Train)'s stopping at these small stations as it slows journey times down, but it's great for the people in those villiages.

I do wonder whether the improved services to Saltash are more down to the intense lobbying from Saltash Rail Users Group, rather than simply being an example of FGW (First Great Western) benevolence.

I agree that FGW listened to the area's passengers in that instance, though. Time for a bit more listening to Melksham/TransWilts customers as well, methinks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 15:49:11 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 15:35:29 »

Julian Johnson is the chairman of the South West Regional Assembly's Regional Transport Board and was appearing in front of the Transport Select Committee on the same day as Tom Harris (link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2132.msg16047#msg16047

More on the SWRA/SWRDA» (South West Regional Development Agency - about) submissions to the Transport Select Committee (link below.)
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=231771&command=displayContent&sourceNode=231774&contentPK=20203846&folderPk=108867&pNodeId=231888

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: