16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:59:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[269] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[101] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[41] Signage - not making it easy ...
[8] IETs at Melksham
[7] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 'BETTER OFF WITHOUT FGW'  (Read 18707 times)
richard bickford

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 15:50:12 »

Lee

Yes we have lobbyed hard, and will continue to do so to maintain a good service. Saltash is not a village, it is the 6th largest town in Cornwall, with almost twice the population of Liskeard. For a number of years the service has been quiite poor with no HST (High Speed Train) services for a long time, and just local stopping services. It will take a bit of time, but the HST services are prooving more and more popular, as people reaslise that you can get to London from Saltash, without changing trains. These are not just people who may have travelled from other stations, most are new travellers who may have previously jumped in their cars.

Come May we will have a pretty much the same number of trains as pre December 2006. Some of these services are HST's to/from London, and the stock is neasrly all refurbished. Unfortunately it is not as simple as that, as we have had to fight hard to regain 6 services since Dec 2006, in that time, people have drifted away, and will take time to get them back. We still don't have the early 'Dockyard' train, so a whole trainload from Cornwall still cannot commute to the Plymouth suburban stops early enough for them to use the train.

All in all, we will finally have a decent service, with decent trains, and certainloy as far as we (Cornwall) are concerned, puntuallity over the past 4 to 6 weeks has imrprooved greatly. I say give FGW (First Great Western) a chance, and not forget that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have a serious part to play i many of FGW's prblems.

When I think back to our protest when the franchaise train ran through Saltash staion in April 2006, with people shouting and shaking their fists at FGW's directors, we have achieved an awful lot.

Happy Easter..
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 15:58:42 »

Happy Easter to you Richard, and well done on all your success so far  Smiley

CANBER (Campaign Against the New Beeching Report) will continue to strongly support your efforts, as we have done since your group was formed in response to the original Draft December 2006 Timetable.

I just wish that we could make as much progress on the Melksham/TransWilts issue, and I hope that people read and understand the reasons why FGW (First Great Western) isnt viewed quite so highly in that part of the world.

By the way, I never said that Saltash was a village....... Grin

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
richard bickford

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 16:18:39 »

Lee, I know, I am not having a go at anyone, just pointing out the facts. Saltash was once in fact the bussiest station in Cornwall!

Good luck with your campaign also, have you managed any improvements for May?
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 16:23:41 »

Lee, I know, I am not having a go at anyone, just pointing out the facts. Saltash was once in fact the bussiest station in Cornwall!

Good luck with your campaign also, have you managed any improvements for May?

Not suggesting you were, Richard  Grin

I agree that it is annoying when Saltash is referred to in those terms.

I know that Cornwall has done a lot better than many expected, and I am genuinely very pleased about that.

I'll let grahame answer on the TransWilts May question.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 19:03:06 »

I'll let grahame answer on the TransWilts May question.

No - we haven't managed any improvements for May ...  Angry

No great surprise, since there aren't any other regular scheduled trains coming through and alterations would be regarded as a major timetabling issue of the sort that happens in Decembers. 

There's a lot of good talk as you may have seen documented around here.   Problem is that there has been a lot of good talk in the spring of both the last two years, and the cynics are seeing something of a pattern and wondering if the TOC (Train Operating Company) makes a lot of positive noises each spring to keep us in line, and supposedly working with them, in the full knowledge that they're going to say "oops, can't do it this year" yet again.  Difficult one, because having been mislead  twice it's very hard to trust ... and some say foolish to do so.

For the reader who may not know Saltash or Melksham ... the level of train service should be very similar. Saltash has a population or 17000 according to Wikipedia, and Melksham is about 30% larger.   Both are through stations, with Saltash being on the main Cornwall line, and plenty of through traffic, and Melksham sandwiched between Swindon and Chippenham on one side - the 1st and 4th towns in Wiltshire, and Salisbury and Trowbridge (2nd and 4th) on the other.  I would expect traffic from Melksham per head of population to be somewhat below that of Saltash - perhaps balancing the difference in population.   I applaud the improvements at Saltash, even though it means we have even further to go at Melksham to get to anything approaching Par
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 19:11:32 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 22:26:51 »

By the way, I never said that Saltash was a village....... Grin
Sorry, that was me, Roll Eyes I referred to Saltash and St Germans as villiages, was really referring to St Germans. As i've said before, Saltash doesn't really effect overall timings for main trains due to the low line speed through the station, I didn't realise Saltash had a population of 17000 though! I learn something new every day.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 22:38:13 »

Thanks, vacman, for that very noble confession!  Wink

Purely by the way (just so I can get in a mention of my local station!), Nailsea itself has a population of some 19,000 - but that's inceased by the populations of Backwell and Wraxall, too.  We are fortunate to be on the main line into BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), so we're actually very well served for trains.

I'm glad to hear Saltash has a good service now, though - and best wishes for Melksham, likewise (eventually?)!  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 10:51:12 »

Julian Johnson is the chairman of the South West Regional Assembly's Regional Transport Board and was appearing in front of the Transport Select Committee on the same day as Tom Harris (link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2132.msg16047#msg16047

More on the SWRA/SWRDA» (South West Regional Development Agency - about) submissions to the Transport Select Committee (link below.)
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=231771&command=displayContent&sourceNode=231774&contentPK=20203846&folderPk=108867&pNodeId=231888

Further Bath Chronicle article link.
http://thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=180730&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232315&home=yes&more_nodeId1=163047&contentPK=20230029

Interesting quote :

Both bodies also claimed that above-average increases in both economic and population growth in parts of the region needed to be reflected in future rail plans.

They said: "Future plans for capacity improvements must reflect the inevitability of the higher passenger demand resulting from this growth."

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 16:17:00 »

In an apparent U-turn following talks with the firm's bosses yesterday, Julian Johnson has released a statement "clarifying" his remarks and saying he was "heartened" by FGW (First Great Western)'s plans. He insisted his comments were "coloured more by my own experience as a regular rail user than by Regional Assembly policy" (link below.)
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144125&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232450&contentPK=20249357&folderPk=108202&pNodeId=251466

He said he "meant no general criticism of the company" and was "not advocating the removal of the franchise".

Mr Johnson issued the joint statement with FGW chairman Charles Howeson, who welcomed the clarification and emphasised "the commitment of the company to work with regional stakeholders".

But last night Westcountry MPs (Member of Parliament) expressed dismay at the way Coun Johnson had apparently changed his position after meeting with the company.

Also, Gordon Edwards, company secretary for TravelWatch SouthWest, said his members had been angered at Coun Johnson's "missed opportunity" to raise wider issues about the region's railways with the powerful committee of MPs.

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 16:29:05 »

In an apparent U-turn following talks with the firm's bosses yesterday, Julian Johnson has released a statement "clarifying" his remarks and saying he was "heartened" by FGW (First Great Western)'s plans. He insisted his comments were "coloured more by my own experience as a regular rail user than by Regional Assembly policy" (link below.)
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144125&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232450&contentPK=20249357&folderPk=108202&pNodeId=251466

He said he "meant no general criticism of the company" and was "not advocating the removal of the franchise".

Mr Johnson issued the joint statement with FGW chairman Charles Howeson, who welcomed the clarification and emphasised "the commitment of the company to work with regional stakeholders".

But last night Westcountry MPs (Member of Parliament) expressed dismay at the way Coun Johnson had apparently changed his position after meeting with the company.

Also, Gordon Edwards, company secretary for TravelWatch SouthWest, said his members had been angered at Coun Johnson's "missed opportunity" to raise wider issues about the region's railways with the powerful committee of MPs.

I really don't like U-Turns, it raises questions like

Was he nobbled, Bribed or what??

Not that I'm saying this has happened in this case, but thats what I think could happen in such U-Turns.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 00:30:02 »

One thing that I find rather endearing about Charles Howeson is that he contributes to the comments section of such articles. From todays one :

Quote from: Charles Howeson
Lets be clear No Corporate pressure was applied by us - that would have been wholly inappropriate. As I understand it the issue was one of in whose name and with what authority the Chairman of the RTB was speaking on that parliamentary occasion. That was obviously not clear to the other regonal stakeholders who make up the Regional Assemblty and so clarrification was sought (by them). I was delighted to join with that clarrification, fully sympathised with Cllr Johnson for the sub standard service on the Cardiff to Portsmouth route (which has needed extra coaches for two years now, not strictly within our gift without government help to allocate, but now put right from May)and also to re-affirm with him that there is no daylight between us on what OUR region should be aspiring to in terms of rail infrastructure. Its my job to deliver our part of this three legged stool and I KNOW that things are already improving from third party statistics. No complaisency here though, and I always said that June would see a visible difference. Its not unlike turning around a supertanker, there is a great deal of momentum and inertia! No, we had not fixed the 0705 down from Plymouth problem by the following day Tom - (Do cut us a bit of slack please!) but fingers crossed, I think that its probably fixed now. I will be riding it again soon, as I have done several times since, and maybe we will meet. Charles Howeson Chairman FGW (First Great Western)

Quote from: Charles Howeson
Oh Dear - perhaps I ought not to have tried to contribute to this debate! My sp and grammar were clearly not up to scratch - apologies, but writing a message on a mobile phone from the (moving!)train not so easy as a desk. Hope however that the gist of my message was clear. This is your railway, we are the current custodians of the trains operation bit of it (ie not the owners of the tracks signalling and many of the stations)- BUT, we are determined to get our bit right, and as soon as possible - we have recognised that it has not been good enough, have apologised, have provided record compensation, and are now in overdrive to get improved services out there for all our customers. Thanks Jenny - not sure that Gill, my long suffering actual PA (Public Address) would agree! And LK, you are right its our proud and hard working front line staff that get the flak, day in day out and its not easy for them when they are doing their very best - but thank you for pointing this out. Best I sign off on this debate for now as I dont think that there is anything additional that I can usefully add....but I am a local, do use the train service, and do read (and take notice of!) the Herald and WMN» (Warminster - next trains)! Charles Howeson Chairman FGW

A couple of other familiar names among the comments contributors as well.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 10:25:20 »

Julian Johnson has insisted that he will not resign over his FGW (First Great Western) u-turn (link below.)
http://thisiscornwall.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144125&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232510&home=yes&more_nodeId1=232470&contentPK=20259170

Speaking to the WMN» (Warminster - next trains) last night, he admitted he was not well briefed on FGW's plans when he told the Transport Select Committee that the regional assembly "would be happier" without the company.

But after meeting with company bosses this week he has decided "they should be a given a chance".

He said:

Quote from: Julian Johnson
"We have got to give them time because I see a very positive message coming out. I knew they were turning it around but not to the degree that they were presenting.

"Many of the things that they would like to do and we would like them to do they can't because of the crazy way we run the railways."

He told the WMN: "Nobody has asked me to resign, except some people at your end of the region. What's it going to achieve? It might placate one or two MPs (Member of Parliament) or you or whatever. I am here to get the best service for the area."

Coun Johnson insisted speaking on FGW "was not the purpose of my going to the committee" but to discuss a 30-year rail strategy.

Several regional assembly members and transport campaigners in the region were angered by Coun Johnson's decision to go beyond his remit and castigate FGW in public.

FGW chairman Charles Howeson wrote to the assembly demanding to know why this stance had come about. Yesterday, Mr Howeson insisted "no corporate pressure was applied by us - that would have been wholly inappropriate".

Neil Mitchell has commented (see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2076.msg15541#msg15541 for background) :

Quote from: Neil Mitchell
"At last, Coun Julian Johnson has realised from whence the Great Western problems originate, but too late to undo the damage he did in his lamentable performance before the Transport Committee."

Sir Simon Day, deputy chairman of the South West Regional Assembly, insisted that any suggestion that Coun Johnson should resign as chairman of the Regional Transport Board was "preposterous".

Further related article link.
http://thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=133464&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133158&contentPK=20258769&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:35:15 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 00:42:39 »

Under FGW (First Great Western):
HSTs (High Speed Train) have more seats
fares are lower
trains are being refurbished to much higher standard than Distressex!
there are improved HSS (High Speed Services) across the region

I honestly think that things are looking much, much better and its a pretty decent service nowadays.

I can't disagree more.

HST carriages may have more seats, but nearly every HST train I catch is missing a carriage.

Fares are not lower, they are expensive and inconsistent. Every year they increase well above inflation, with the standard return fare for Bristol to Reading is almost 3x that of Worcester to Reading. Why?

It is not fare to compare Wessex local trains with FGW HST trains. If you want to see high quality local trains look at Wales or Northern.

HS (High Speed (short for HSS High Speed Services)) services are not improving. Many journeys take 20-30% longer than they did a few years ago. My daily journey to Reading now takes 15 minutes more than it did three years ago, and costs 20% more. Is that progress?
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 07:15:41 »

fares are lower

I honestly think that things are looking much, much better and its a pretty decent service nowadays.

I can't disagree more.

HST carriages may have more seats, but nearly every HST train I catch is missing a carriage.

Fares are not lower, they are expensive and inconsistent. Every year they increase well above inflation, with the standard return fare for Bristol to Reading is almost 3x that of Worcester to Reading. Why?

It is not fare to compare Wessex local trains with FGW HST trains. If you want to see high quality local trains look at Wales or Northern.

HS (High Speed (short for HSS High Speed Services)) services are not improving. Many journeys take 20-30% longer than they did a few years ago. My daily journey to Reading now takes 15 minutes more than it did three years ago, and costs 20% more. Is that progress?
Well, if every HST you catch doesn't have enough carriages you are unlucky, or you don't travel by HST very often.

Fares are lower, Advance purchase are much cheaper, and Cheap Day Returns are lots cheaper.

He was actually comparing the West fleet refurbishment with Wessex, which is brilliant.

HSS are improving, they serve many more destinations more reguarly and he Cotswold line has a HST on most journeys now.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 08:11:30 »

fares are lower

I can't disagree more.

Well, if every HST you catch doesn't have enough carriages you are unlucky, or you don't travel by HST very often.

Fares are lower, Advance purchase are much cheaper, and Cheap Day Returns are lots cheaper.

He was actually comparing the West fleet refurbishment with Wessex, which is brilliant.

HSS are improving, they serve many more destinations more reguarly and he Cotswold line has a HST on most journeys now.
And therein lies a problem FGW is trying to be all things to all people and inevitably its traditional longer distance services to my neck of the woods Devon/Cornwall are stagnating here compared to constantly improving road and air links.The Dft really needs to do something drastic about what is now an appallingly slow rail route between Newton Abbot and Penzance if it is serious about rail here in the far South West.
 Talk of high speed lines to the north(186mph) really is premature when there are so called main lines with  55/60 mph line speeds handicapping train operators in what is now a very competitive transport market locally.While commuters/short/medium haul passengers have little alternative to use whats currently on offer FGWs traditional long haul passengers to places like Devon and Cornwall now have good alternatives thanks to the Dfts obsession with road and air link development.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: