I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:08:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "Smart ticketing goes nationwide"  (Read 5486 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2019, 14:49:28 »

Rail Delivery Group Press Release
Thousands more train passengers will be able to wave goodbye to their orange tickets this month as train companies make smart tickets more widely available with the roll out of new technology across the network.

The increased availability of smart tickets is already benefitting passenger by:
  • saving time as they can buy online from anywhere and can skip queues at ticket machines, with 22% of journeys in 2018 made on tickets bought online, up from 7% in 2013.
  • allowing them to go paperless, ending the days of lost tickets with passes stored securely on a phone or a card. It’s also forest friendly, with the equivalent of almost 1,200 km or the distance from London to Edinburgh and back in traditional orange paper tickets saved in the first two months of this year alone.

Nothing really in this press release that relates to GWR (Great Western Railway) though. The percentage of tickets bought online though is somewhat less at 22% than I might have guessed at but shows there is still a long way to go in assuming people can be required to purchase tickets that way.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 15:27:54 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) are likely to roll out their smartcard quite soon across more of their (barried) destination...

THen we'll all be claouring for cross-operator smartcard acceptance - ie registering one's TOC (Train Operating Company) smartcard with our operators. I don't want (or need to) hold a smartcard from every operator I might use.....
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 15:31:34 »

Given that a very high percentage of people own a smartphone, you'd think that should be the common format? Or is it perceived to be less robust (may not be charged...) in comparison to a smartcard?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 15:40:48 »

and not replaceable if lost.....
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 16:09:46 »

Co-ordinating and promoting a cross-accepted smart card might be the very thing you would expect a trade association to be leading on.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 16:39:57 »

I thought I'd posted a link to the ITSO document set before, but apparently not - so here it is.

The whole ITSO system is predefined, including all the products to be loaded onto it (IPEs), though it does include a defined type for private produce entities. But there is this footnote:
ITSO do not encourage the use of private entities. Where a Product has potential for interoperability, then the use of an ITSO defined IPE is preferred, as a basis for future interoperability.

I suspect that all products being introduced will use the compatible formats, and the only thing stopping you putting one TOC (Train Operating Company)'s product on another's ticket will be detecting who issued the ticket (ITSO platform). In other words they could enable cross-loading once they have persuaded themselves they want or need to.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 21:34:27 »

I wonder if eventually we will be able to use a GWR (Great Western Railway) card to buy tickets, for example , from the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) site or even Trainline. Otherwise once you get a card you would be tied to the website belonging to the card publisher to purchase tickets, if you don't want paper tickets.
I am not sure how you could load a GWR card to the SWR site but it does have a numerical code on the card.

And is there anything to stop non-TOCs (Train Operating Company) such as Trainline from issuing a smartcard?
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 10:26:45 »

and not replaceable if lost.....

From GWR (Great Western Railway).com

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 12:01:44 »

Given that a very high percentage of people own a smartphone, you'd think that should be the common format? Or is it perceived to be less robust (may not be charged...) in comparison to a smartcard?

This was what I was referring to - a smartphone, not a smartcard....
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 12:05:37 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) are likely to roll out their smartcard quite soon across more of their (barried) destination...

THen we'll all be claouring for cross-operator smartcard acceptance - ie registering one's TOC (Train Operating Company) smartcard with our operators. I don't want (or need to) hold a smartcard from every operator I might use.....
I agree that holding multiple smartcards (one for each operator) would be a pain. The student card I had towards the end of my time at university was a 'smart' one that could unlock doors; when I boarded a bus and placed my railcard wallet, containing my university card and my (ITSO) Concessionary Travel Pass, on the bus ticket machine it would sometimes fail to read the ITSO card. The driver explained that the two cards could conflict with each other. I imagine having a student card, contactless bank card and multiple operator's ITSO cards could be rather annoying.

That's one of the reasons I returned the contactless debit card my bank supplied me with and asked them to give me a standard chip-and-pin only card instead. A passenger could purchase a ticket on an ITSO card, but the ticket machine might read their contactless bank card instead and they get charged again for their journey. The alternative of a smartphone, which could hold tickets from multiple operators, runs the risk of flat batteries rendering the passenger 'ticketless'.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 14:03:12 »

TfL» (Transport for London - about) advise that you do not keep your Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card and any contactless cards in the same wallet as the wrong card could be read when tapping in or out

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 10:36:49 »

Recent information received suggests GWR (Great Western Railway) smartcards will not be readable at TFL (Transport for London) Crossrail stations.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 11:37:07 »

THat sounds like a software issue. TfL» (Transport for London - about) gates are ITSO, so are GWR (Great Western Railway), so they *can* be read. TfL would need to load GWR fares to recognise the ticket, that's all.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 09:48:06 »

GWR (Great Western Railway)'s smartcard is the fifth best in the country! Alternatively, you could look at it as being the fourth worst... in one person's opinion.
https://www.citymetric.com/transport/every-train-operating-company-smartcard-ranked-how-smart-card-4482

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 09:49:02 »

<this page blank>
(double posted due to connection failure or similar - and there's no way of deleting a post that I can see)

Edit to add - sorry, server issue encouraged the double post when it should not; I have posted an explanation as it's useful for everyone at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=21525.0 .   I will leave this here as a pointer to the explanation as you're not the only one to have this happen ... - Grahame

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:29:39 by grahame » Logged

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: