Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here].
Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
article index - [here]
 today - Bristol clean air day
22/06/2019 - Steam on the District
22/06/2019 - Shaw Summer Fayre
24/06/2019 - National Rail Safety Week
25/06/2019 - First Group Shareholder mtg
26/06/2019 - TransWilts Stakeholder Conf.
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail news GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
June 20, 2019, 12:14:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[83] GWR bans surfboards from IET services
[82] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[81] Off-lease High Speed Trains running out of time to avoid scrap...
[59] An extra train on the TransWilts today - 19 Jun 19
[56] Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since Septemb...
[49] Does anyone know of a bus station that they actually like?
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pianos at Stations  (Read 671 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 14, 2019, 10:53:31 am »

Not being musical there are things I tend not to notice /// was there / is there a brightly painted paino at Bristol Temple Meads?

From the BBC

St. Pancras piano man's video with Cats star vocal goes viral

When Ceili O'Connor - singer in the West End musical Cats - joined 91-year-old Denis Robinson as he tickled the ivories at St Pancras station, she made his day.

Just found a link - somewhat answering my own question ... https://streetpianos.com/bristol2017/pianos/bristol-temple-meads-station-platform-3/

Coffee Shop Admin, Vice Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest and of RailFuture
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

Still want to work on the railways when I grow up.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 11:31:16 am »

I think there is also one still in The Galleries in Bristol's Broadmead. During summer a couple of years back there was a outdoor one on Wapping Wharf in Bristol Docks next to the Cargo converted shopping container outlets. That one was a temporary arrangement but provided some nice music to accompany a beer in the evening sunshine.
Quite impressed how many people are still able to put out a decent tune on the piano.

Railway rock n' roll rebel. I once bought a return ticket and didn't go back!
Red Squirrel
Global Moderator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:22:31 pm »

...paino...

Never was there a more appropriate typo. It's the staff I feel sorry for, having to put up with a procession of 12-year-old prodigies playing Einaudi all day.

For the avoidance of doubt, the one at Temple Meads has gone now. My daughter had a decent bash at it before it went; her rendition of I Giorni brought tears to the eyes...
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 12:38:14 pm »

SNCF have made a bit of as thing about their pianos, and even list them among staion features listed on line. That list has over 70 stations with them, though how many are even playable is not recorded - certainly the ones I've heard sound pretty rough.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

Still want to work on the railways when I grow up.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 12:41:07 pm »

...paino...

Never was there a more appropriate typo. It's the staff I feel sorry for, having to put up with a procession of 12-year-old prodigies playing Einaudi all day.

For the avoidance of doubt, the one at Temple Meads has gone now. My daughter had a decent bash at it before it went; her rendition of I Giorni brought tears to the eyes...

Shows how observant I am. I thought it was still there. I'm sure it was still in situ not that long ago. Most people I heard tickling the ivories were fairly competent, in fact I was sometimes hankering for the odd "Les Dawson" moment.

Railway rock n' roll rebel. I once bought a return ticket and didn't go back!
bignosemac
Transport Scholar

Coffee Shop Forum Roving Reporter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 02:54:58 pm »

in fact I was sometimes hankering for the odd "Les Dawson" moment.

Here you are then.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 04:27:11 pm »

There is one in Bristol Bus Station and is regularly being played. Wish I had kept up with my lessons when I went from Junior School to Senior School but homework and piano practise became too much and homework won to my regret.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 04:50:36 pm »

As one who learnt to play at 8 years old, it has been a source of delight, income, and many friendships. Have since graduated to church organ, theatre organ and the most modern of keyboards, 57 years on. Most of those pianos played outside in public places are old bangers only really fit for the scrapheap, only tarted up externally with a bit of brighter paintwork. Have come across the occasional more modern Yamaha in Bologna station, Turin station and the Gateshead Sage centre. I am often pleasantly surprised just how good some of the teenagers/ early 20s players are, often without formal tuition or music reading. I would like to think that they started out on keyboards in primary school.
If you are a proficient player, (there is an informal audition), you might like to join the volunteer pianist team for an hour or two a week at Southmead hospital, Bristol, where there is a Steck baby grand piano in the atrium. You will have to undergo a DBS check before you are issued with a lanyard to play whatever you like to a passing audience and to patients in the wards above. Contact fresh.arts@nbt.nhs.uk
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:02:02 pm by chuffed » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: