Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:52:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How rails to Marylebone were nearly lost  (Read 4046 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 09, 2019, 18:20:40 »

Researching this afternoon, I came across the history of the proposals to turn the old Great Central railway out of Marylebone into an express bus way, and the documentation of the "Railway Conversion League".

Overview of what happened:
https://www.londonreconnections.com/2014/near-terminal-case-saving-marylebone-rail-road-conversion/

Looking at the frequent services operated today by Chiltern Railways, it seems hard to believe that the rail lines into Marylebone were once seriously considered for closure. Yet back in the mid-1980s under-utilization of the route led to proposals to convert the line into a dedicated bus route, with the site of Marylebone station being converted into a bus station, or sold off to raise an estimated £10 million. Today this proposal and others like it – such as a plan to convert much of what now forms London Overground north of the river into roads – are mostly forgotten. Yet for a time the possibility was very real, and London may have been left with a rail landscape very different from that which exists today.

Some of the papers:
http://www.transport-watch.co.uk/topic-7-archive-railway-conversion-league-1958-1994
http://www.transport-watch.co.uk/sites/default/files/Twilight%20of%20the%20Railways%20-%20What%20roads%20they%20will%20make%20Brigadier%20Lloyd.pdf
http://www.transport-watch.co.uk/sites/default/files/The%20Conversion%20of%20Railways%20in%20to%20Roads%20in%20the%20United%20Kingdom%20The%20League%201970%20providing%20many%20examples.pdf

And a note of how things have changed ... can you imagine this lot as buses? ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 20:20:21 »

Researching this afternoon, I came across the history of the proposals to turn the old Great Central railway out of Marylebone into an express bus way, and the documentation of the "Railway Conversion League".

Overview of what happened:
https://www.londonreconnections.com/2014/near-terminal-case-saving-marylebone-rail-road-conversion/

Looking at the frequent services operated today by Chiltern Railways, it seems hard to believe that the rail lines into Marylebone were once seriously considered for closure. Yet back in the mid-1980s under-utilization of the route led to proposals to convert the line into a dedicated bus route, with the site of Marylebone station being converted into a bus station, or sold off to raise an estimated £10 million. Today this proposal and others like it – such as a plan to convert much of what now forms London Overground north of the river into roads – are mostly forgotten. Yet for a time the possibility was very real, and London may have been left with a rail landscape very different from that which exists today.

Some of the papers:
http://www.transport-watch.co.uk/topic-7-archive-railway-conversion-league-1958-1994
http://www.transport-watch.co.uk/sites/default/files/Twilight%20of%20the%20Railways%20-%20What%20roads%20they%20will%20make%20Brigadier%20Lloyd.pdf
http://www.transport-watch.co.uk/sites/default/files/The%20Conversion%20of%20Railways%20in%20to%20Roads%20in%20the%20United%20Kingdom%20The%20League%201970%20providing%20many%20examples.pdf

And a note of how things have changed ... can you imagine this lot as buses? ...

That's been sittng there for some years, and there is also a comments page that has unfortunately been partially deleted or weeded. I say unfortunately because there were some comments there from someone who worked in the Department of Transport in the Thatcher years, and gave some very interesting insight into the way the government was thinking and working at the time.

One example I particularly remember was the government's plan to "break the monopoly of the railways" in commuter traffic. Amongst other pilot schemes, an express bus service had been introduced between Windsor, Slough and London. After a suitable period of data collection it was found that it didn't make any appreciable difference to the railway's loadings.

The Minister responsible was alleged to have said: "I don't want this research - bring me some research that shows that my plan has been a success." Tells you all you need to know, doesn't it...

As I have often said, don't watch "Yes Minister" as a sitcom - watch it as a humorous documentary Wink

(odditied for teepees)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:55:57 by Robin Summerhill » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:15:41 »

Googling the Railway Conversion League, I found this comment piece by Dominic Lawson, from as recently as December 2000:

A FORTNIGHT ago I proposed what I thought was a novel solution to the country's twin problem of superannuated railways and overcrowded roads: rip up all the rail tracks and convert them into highways for coaches. As so often, however, our readers know much, much more than the Editor.

[...]

Mrs Lorna Dalgleish wrote to me pointing out that what I had suggested "was something my husband and a group of likeminded people advocated for many years". She sent me a number of handsomely produced booklets, dating from the Sixties and Seventies, which were submitted to the governments of the day by an organisation called "The Railway Conversion League" (motto: "Greater than the tread of mighty armies is an idea whose time has come").

[...]

Alas, Mrs Dalgleish's letter also informed me that "my husband died six years ago and The Railway Conversion League has folded". But perhaps a fresh champion will emerge to dust off this mothballed vision of a better future for all commuters.

Source: The Telegraph

I'd like to be able to say 'Quieter than the shuffle of tiny mice is an idea whose time has passed', but I'm not sure it has, entirely... c.f. Cambridgeshire Guided Busway.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:35:09 »

One does rather have to play "Whack-a-Mole" with this sort of thing from time to time. Examples:

Going further with the latter link towards full rail to road conversion in the capital may well require a whole new entity to be created - My money is on Roads for London (RofL)...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 12:58:55 »

...or maybe Roads for London Metropolitan Traffic Organisation, or RofLMTO?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: