Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here].
Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
article index - [here]
 tomorrow - Ticket booking test - BRI
23/10/2019 - GWR Customer Panel, Cardiff
26/10/2019 - Railfuture Branches and Groups
26/10/2019 - Plym Valley / Lost Driver
27/10/2019 - Question deadline - MTMD
03/11/2019 - Yatton - Accesible Walk
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail news GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
October 20, 2019, 07:01:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[250] Climate Change Emergency - Implications for UK Transport Strat...
[102] HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general dis...
[81] Changes to train times and to fares - Bedwyn and Pewsey to Lon...
[69] Night Riviera Sleeper refurb
[34] Could you give up flying? Meet the no-plane pioneers
[32] Realtime Trains
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • TravelWatch SouthWest: October 18, 2019
  • TravelWatch SouthWest: March 07, 2020
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TravelWatch SouthWest - general meeting, 18th October 2019  (Read 1154 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 15, 2019, 10:10:10 am »

Taunton, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. That's Friday 18th October 2019. Date definite - the TWSW secretary confirms we've been waiting on availably as someone else had first refusal over the venue.

There's a TravelWatch SouthWest board meeting at the end of this month - a few more details ten, I expect, but I know of a couple of people anxious for a final / confirmed date for their diaries.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:26:00 am by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Vice Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest and of RailFuture
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 10:47:16 am »

Thanks - this date looks more hopeful!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:48:59 am »

I have added a date for March 2020 (1st Saturday in the month) to this thread following yesterday's board meeting.  Groups with transport interests welcome to send a delegate (and encouraged to add an upcoming person for the future) - whether or not they are 'members'. 

TWSW takes a very wide view of the term 'group' and it can at times even be a group of one at the very early stages of something - indeed that's how I first came across them.  I still feel somewhat out of my depth at board meetings - that is the knowledge and wisdom that's there but very much oiling wheels behind the scenes much of the time.  If you are a member of a groups that's not been along to TravelWatch - please send me a personal message here (or contact me another way) and I can help you get in touch / an invite along to Taunton.

Agenda for October?  Will include: Rural isolation and transport provision. Sub Regional Transport Bodies (and getting them co-ordinated across the region). Update on inputs for DA3 and beyond. Looking to the December '19 timetable which will be close by then. We are advised that "Williams" will not have reported by the meeting date though.  Also very much aware of a somewhat uncertain political landscape ahead, and looking to have key principles on transport to hand that politicians can sign up for as a framework.

A further date will be added for the TWSW AGM - should be November.   Not the "big one" as are the general meetings, but the board does make it worthwhile for members to come along.

Coffee Shop Admin, Vice Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest and of RailFuture
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:49:50 am »

Good to see Saturdays haven't bern totally abandoned
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 09:01:11 am »

Good to see Saturdays haven't bern totally abandoned

Current thought is to alternate ... but the next date to set is some 15 months hence so a lot can change in that time. Goodness knows what our relationships with our neighbour will be, who will be prime minister, what party he /she will lead (or will it be a government of national unity?) and whether transport planning will be centralised in Horseferry Road or delegated out to individual bus stop consultative committees to liaise and get a service between them.  From a personal point, I think it's my turn in the cycle for TravelWatch re-election this Autumn and I know I need to stand again for RailFuture re-election - in both cases, of course, with a personal choice whether I wish to continue.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 12:04:49 pm »

Re this Friday, is refreshment to be taken at the plough in Taunton after the meeting ?
I expect to be at the pub, presuming that anyone else is coming.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 12:10:08 pm »

Re this Friday, is refreshment to be taken at the plough in Taunton after the meeting ?
I expect to be at the pub, presuming that anyone else is coming.

I think we have multiple threads running on this one.   Planning to be there!

Tempted to pop by / hang around until about 18:00 ...  18:30 train to WSB and 19:32 connection to Melksham.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 12:09:54 pm »

I expect to be at the Plough from about 15-00, buses permitting.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: