I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:47:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pointless Porkie? (or - "what's wrong with the truth?")  (Read 11427 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 16, 2019, 19:50:13 »

Headed on the Portsmouth to Cardiff ... 10 late at Filton Abbey Wood due to congestion

"We're waiting for a late running Swansea train to cross in front of us" annouces the train manager.

Oh no we're not - we're 10 minutes down and the Swansea train that we're supposed to connect with has been allowed to go in front - probably because we call at Severn Tunnel Junction.  As I'm heading for Swansea ...

Verified my suspicions on Real Time Trains ...

A quick chat with the train manager - either he thinks right and can't read the evidence of the devices he's provided with, or he's caught in this mis-informtion and defending it. The more I listen to him and the lady on the trolley, the more I think he knows darned well. I wouldn't worry - except it leads him to advise further that we'll be overtaken by the train I should connect into - so if I don't see it going past I may be able to dash over the bridge at Newport and catch it on the other platform.  Yeah, right.

Not going to make any difference to me in terms of being 30 down by Swansea anyway; I'm sure my contact there will understand "connection missed" and we will eat later ... but what a pointless porkie, and what a pig of a mess it lead him in to!

Hey, ho ... looks like first chance to try delay repay!

Edit - to make my post politically correct
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 20:34:27 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 20:18:33 »

Well ... we pulled into Cardiff Central at 19:55.25 (according to Real Time Trains) and the "Official Connection" that the booking engine had given me was still standing at the next platform.   Quick dash to the stairs, down, across, up .. to see it just pulling out at 19:55.75 according to Real Time Trains.

Yeah, I know, there will be another one along ...

Edit to add for my record ... due into Swansea at 20:46 on 1B69.  Arrived on 1B76 at 21:17, 1 minute early as it was scheduled at 21:18.  All train times from Real Time Trains the following day.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:02:06 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 16:59:02 »

Well ... that worked. 8 days including Easter, so 4 working days to approval. ... Good work GWR (Great Western Railway).

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 21:31:23 »

Well ... that worked. 8 days including Easter, so 4 working days to approval. ... Good work GWR (Great Western Railway).

I have also been impressed with the speed of First Customer Contact Delay Repay. Submitted to SWR» (South Western Railway - about) on Friday, approved on Tuesday. Much quicker than previously and far better than their stated up to 20 days processing time.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 08:30:57 »

Well, I'd be interested to hear when you get paid grahame and Surrey455. My GWR (Great Western Railway) delay repay payment was "sent" by BACS on Maundy Thursday and arrived today. Granted within the lower of the 5-10 working days quoted in their email, but over a week due to Easter.

If I recall, sending money "via BACS" used to be 3 working days, including the day it was sent.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 08:40:28 »

Well, I'd be interested to hear when you get paid grahame and Surrey455. My GWR (Great Western Railway) delay repay payment was "sent" by BACS on Maundy Thursday and arrived today. Granted within the lower of the 5-10 working days quoted in their email, but over a week due to Easter.

If I recall, sending money "via BACS" used to be 3 working days, including the day it was sent.

I will follow up in due course to let you know - "in your account via BACS in 5 to 10 working days" on 24th April.   Yeah, I know when I do a payment online it seems to be much quicker these days ... but this seems a darned sight quicker from 'problem arose' to 'fully dealt with' that's historically been the case, for which relief much thanks.

Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 09:41:26 »

Agreed, the overall process does seem quicker at the moment. I am being a pedant, it's just the use of the word "sent" when "processed" might be more appropriate. Maybe it's another porkie as this document suggests my payment should have arrived Wednesday if it was submitted the previous Thursday (page 2, Easter 2019):

https://www.bacs.co.uk/documentlibrary/bacs_processing_calendar_2019.pdf
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 23:21:26 »

I received the grand total of 60 pence in my account today. I claimed for 30-59 min delay. They have calculated it as 15-29 mins instead. Perhaps the next train arrived at my destination a minute or 2 early. Grrr...  Sad
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 13:32:28 »

At least they acknowledged that your train existed.  They seemed to have lost mine. Matter now with the GM.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 19:00:30 »

I received the grand total of 60 pence in my account today. I claimed for 30-59 min delay. They have calculated it as 15-29 mins instead. Perhaps the next train arrived at my destination a minute or 2 early. Grrr...  Sad

Arrived and doors open is probably later than the time recorded by the system IMO (in my opinion). I've been given 15-29 minutes on the 30 minute boundary when it has been over using my definition of arrived. It's not really a corner case either on a 2tph frequency.

Next time this happens, I'm going to start a video as we pull in, keep it rolling as I disembark (probably some good pictures of the floor being captured), then record a station clock. It should be easy then to prove what actually happened using the timestamp/offset on the video.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 19:18:05 »

"pointless porkies" are not only told by TOCs (Train Operating Company).

Some years ago I was sitting in an aircraft at Bristol waiting to take off for Newark New Jersey (American Airlines briefly operated the route in the mid 00s). The pilot came on to apologise for the delay and said that they were just sorting out the final paperwork before they got off the stand.

At the time this announcement was being made, out of the window I could see a mechanic next to one of the engines with a spanner in his hand... Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: