Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:59:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen on a typical current journey - subjects we have talked about  (Read 4367 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:16:44 »

With various changes in the past couple of years, I'm travelling far less than I used to ... and a journey yesterday evening was an excellent chance to catch up on what many of our members see daily, and have been talking about.

Pianos at stations - http://gwr.passenger.chat/21409

Passenger numbers, TransWilts  - http://gwr.passenger.chat/21363

18:02 yesterday - 40 off, 10 on, 80 on train to Trwonbridge 130/50

Passenger names starting to appear on reservations public readable!

Delay repay 15 - http://gwr.passenger.chat/21192

Personally .. what a hassle and the money comes from customers anyway

Castle near a station, reminds me of Vick Explores - http://gwr.passenger.chat/18274

Measurement Train - http://gwr.passenger.chat/18185

Where to find a pacer - http://gwr.passenger.chat/21393

Just halfway though my pictures - need to head off to day job ...more to follow

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 08:53:08 »

Classic HST (High Speed Train) and 153 - http://gwr.passenger.chat/21157 and http://gwr.passenger.chat/21229

Incredible complexity of footbridges - http://gwr.passenger.chat/20823

Electrify lines where no electric trains will run - http://gwr.passenger.chat/21404

Disabled route at Trowbridge!

Trowbridge planters under the care of Heart of Wessex - http://gwr.passenger.chat/21136

Replacement buses - publishing times not strategy

Freight to Southampton via Trowbridge

Looking ahead - the IET (Intercity Express Train) has taken over

(Was able to finish - awaiting client who's in another meeting!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:28:43 »

32474 is the ticket number from grahame's ticket above; in the bottom right hand corner (first 5 digits).

Thought that might be handy for anyone contemplating a delay repay claim who is not familiar with it.

The ticket number is also more explicitly printed on the 'receipt' (not card receipt) if it is requested from the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine).
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:23:50 »

Not sure the Information Commissioners Office would be too happy about names printed publicaly visible reservation tickets.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:37:55 »

Not sure the Information Commissioners Office would be too happy about names printed publicaly visible reservation tickets.
Presumably there'll be an option for people not to give their names. Or to give false names.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:02:42 »

Presumably there'll be an option for people not to give their names. Or to give false names.

Note - seen it before - in Ireland - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19928

Working electronic seat reservations, with the name of the person who had reserved being displayed

Uncomfortable with it there ... and you'll note I doctored the UK (United Kingdom) image to remove the real name, even though it was on public display last night.

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 13:41:24 »

Sorry for being a bit dense Grahame, but can you explain the Melksham numbers

18:02 yesterday - 40 off, 10 on, 80 on train to Trowbridge 130/50

I get the 50 (number using Melksham), but what does 130 mean?  There were 110 passengers as far as MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains), and another 10 joined there, so number of journeys would be 120. Can't work out what 130 is!

Do you think numbers are rising now the single unit trains are gone and people know there is more space? Or is it staying the same because to get more users there needs to be a better spread of trains?   
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 17:04:28 »

I get the 50 (number using Melksham), but what does 130 mean?  There were 110 passengers as far as MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains), and another 10 joined there, so number of journeys would be 120. Can't work out what 130 is!

I'm so glad you asked that. I've been wondering the same thing for several years now but have always been too embarrassed to admit I haven't a clue what it means!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 17:18:53 »

I'm so glad you asked that. I've been wondering the same thing for several years now but have always been too embarrassed to admit I haven't a clue what it means!

In this case ... a typo.   Should have read 120/50.    First figure is the total number of passenger journeys made on the section unique to the TransWilts service, second figure is the number of passengers starting or ending their rail journey at Melksham, which is only served by the TransWilts service.

So
... 40 journeys in to Melksham, 10 journeys out = 50.
... 80 journeys from Melksham to Trowbridge (and beyond) minus 10 (counted in the 50) + 40 in to Melksham = 120

It's something we set up a-g-e-s ago to allow provide measures of use that could be compared even if the raw data was collected in different ways - from any 3 out of 4 readings, you can calculate the two values.

A word of caution. Once the passenger numbers getting off or on at Melksham exceed a dozen and you have a multiple carriage train, there are going to be rounding errors.  My 10 on and 80 beyond are pretty accurate; the 40 who spilled off may be a slight underestimate as I was anxious to join the train myself.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 17:52:21 »

Thought that might be handy for anyone contemplating a delay repay claim who is not familiar with it.

There is also a "?" on the online form which when you select it takes you to a series of sample ticket layouts highlighting which is the ticket number on at least 3 formats.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 23:11:15 »

In this case ... a typo.   Should have read 120/50.    First figure is the total number of passenger journeys made on the section unique to the TransWilts service, second figure is the number of passengers starting or ending their rail journey at Melksham, which is only served by the TransWilts service.

This evening ... the 20:08 Swindon to Westbury - 24/12

19 on board from Chippenham. 7 got off and 5 got on at Melksham.  And those numbers are accurate - if tricky to count tonight with 3 people at Melksham Station to collect passengers, and two more young Melksham gentlemen waving off young ladies from Trowbridge who had been visiting.  Shows rather how it's become the fabric of life her. 

We were 'asked' to get an average of 20 passengers per train - this was 24.  But this is typically one of the weakest services and if even this one is over average ... we ain't going badly.   Note - I would expect this train to be quieter midweek ... and it IS midweek.   And I would expect it to be quieter in a Bank Holiday shoulder week ... and it  IS a Bank Holiday shoulder week.   Happy.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 09:55:59 »

... 80 journeys from Melksham to Trowbridge (and beyond) minus 10 (counted in the 50) + 40 in to Melksham = 120

I don't understand. I make 80-10+40=110.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 10:43:47 »

I don't understand. I make 80-10+40=110.

70 journeys from Chippenham to Trowbridge
10 journeys from Melksham to Trowbridge. (so 80 people on the train after it left Melksham)
40 journeys from Chippenham to Melksham
Total 120 individual journeys on the train on the section of the route served only by TransWilts trains

In the above ...
For "Chippenham" read "Swindon or Chippenham"
For "Trowbridge" read "Trowbridge or Westbury"
and - note - extra journeys made on these trains from Swindon to Chippenham and from Trowbridge to Westbury have not been counted in our figures as they don't really justify the service.  Having said which, there are quite a few people making these hops on certain trains.

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 10:58:55 »

Thanks for the explanation Grahame.  In all the detail around the numbers, I think the second half of my question got lost, which was do you think numbers are now on the rise again with a more stable service and more carriages. Or do you think it will take more services, especially around rush hour, to attract more passengers?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 13:21:48 »

Thanks for the explanation Grahame.  In all the detail around the numbers, I think the second half of my question got lost, which was do you think numbers are now on the rise again with a more stable service and more carriages. Or do you think it will take more services, especially around rush hour, to attract more passengers?

I could have sworn I answered the second part - but looking up, not in this thread ... and perhaps not even on the forum.  So ... I owe and answer.

1. Based on the statistically insignificant sample of one journey .... if you give me a three way choice between "on the up", "stable" and "falling" I would say "on the up". 

The numbers getting off that train in Melksham were excellent.  Mid week, and holiday week both of which I would expect to depress the number on this particular line.   The train looks quieter than it did when it was just a single carriage, but still looked very busy - especially as it pulled in to Melksham.

2. It's not a question of "growing" or "needs more services". Yes, based only flimsy sample there is growth - but I would suggest that providing more services especially around the peak would provide another layer of transformational growth.

To give you an idea ... 3,000 journeys to / from Melksham 7 years ago, 75,000 now ... with current service might rise to 120,000 in a few years.  Gaps no more than hourly in peaks, 2 hours off peak, trains 7 days / 17 hours per day and you'll add another big tranche.   Hourly all day, every day (that's the point at which infrastructure work is needed), other ducks lined up, and you'll hit quarter of a million Melksham journeys.    The proportion of to/from Melksham and through journeys is around 40% of / from Melksham and 60% through at present.  Melksham will grow faster that through in the future, so expect 50% Melksham, 50% through in a few years time.   Lots of numbers - happy to go through the background data to explain where those pretty well educated guesstimates come from, and which the other ducks that need to be in a row are.

Oh - the immediate gaps to fill ... extra calls at Melksham southbound at around 08:20, 17:00 and 23:00, northbound at around 09:10, 17:40 and 21:30

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: