Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:25:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate protests in London  (Read 52427 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 17, 2019, 11:21:42 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47959207

Climate change activists aiming to "shut down London" have entered their third day of protests.

Extinction Rebellion protesters have been blocking traffic at Marble Arch, Waterloo Bridge, Parliament Square and Oxford Circus since Monday.

The group said it would disrupt London Overground services on one line after it changed its mind about targeting the Tube network on Wednesday.

Does it make sense to target the overground when it's probably much more climate friendly that buses and much much more so than taxis and cars?

Memories of disruptive activities (threatened or more) in our own area: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1574
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:43:53 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 11:29:16 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47959207

Climate change activists aiming to "shut down London" have entered their third day of protests.

Extinction Rebellion protesters have been blocking traffic at Marble Arch, Waterloo Bridge, Parliament Square and Oxford Circus since Monday.

The group said it would disrupt London Overground services on one line after it changed its mind about targeting the Tube network on Wednesday.

Does it make sense to target the overground when it's probably much more climate friendly that buses and much much more so than taxis and cars?

That's the first thing that occurred to me. Seems a bit bonkers to actually target the modes of transport that you are trying to encourage people to use. If this happens it could also be detrimental to the protesters credibility. I still salute the fact that they want to do something though but targeting public transport?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 11:42:55 »

quite. And to demand a meeting with Government in order to call off the demos - the Government are on Easter holiday this week!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 12:13:40 »

Now targeting DLR (Docklands Light Railway) inter alia:

Cathy Eatburn, 51, said she was taking part for her teenage daughters’ futures.

“I don’t want to be here today and I’m really sorry for the disruption but I feel I have been forced to do this,” she said. “I have two daughters and I can’t sit by while their future is threatened … The government is doing nothing – we have to force them to act.”

The Guardian

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:23:06 »

They may have a worthy cause but they are behaving like morons. I know of at least 3 blue light ambulance emergency calls yesterday which were delayed by their antics and frankly the Police have better things to do.....now this....."peaceful protest" - close to 300 arrests so far. Right.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 13:58:00 »

I have some sympathy with the stated aims of the protesters, but little sympathy with many of the tactics in use.

Attempting to close down electric mass transit is daft, it should be encouraged.
Lets have some protests in favour of specific projects to reduce carbon emissions.

Build more wind turbines
Install more PV.
Build a tidal barrage in the Severn estuary.
Electrify the GWR (Great Western Railway), and other railways.

In fact all the above have been strongly objected to, quite possibly by the same protesters.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 15:16:00 »

In fact all the above have been strongly objected to, quite possibly by the same protesters.

Usual ill thought out protest - "do as I say, not as I do".
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 17:01:49 »

Usual ill thought out protest - "do as I say, not as I do".

These protests are led by 'Extinction Rebellion', who according to their website (here: https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/demands/) have three demands:

1. Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
2. Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
3. Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.

I can find nothing on their website to suggest that the organisers object to wind turbines, PV, the Severn Barrage or rail electrification. The main thing they seem to object to is what they perceive as government inaction.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 17:51:39 »

Government inaction? The UK (United Kingdom) has reduced carbon dioxide emissions more than any other country in the G20 since 2010.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 18:09:59 »

I thought the main government inaction was Brexit. Or is that government paralysis?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 18:33:56 »

Government inaction? The UK (United Kingdom) has reduced carbon dioxide emissions more than any other country in the G20 since 2010.

A large part of that reduction is thanks to renewable energy generation. Wind power is now contributing close to 20% of the UK's electricity. Solar generation is approaching 4%. Total renewable energy generation in the UK now stands at 30%. Up from less than 5% fifteen years ago. A remarkable achievement that should be applauded.

That could easily reach 50% by 2030 and with the will of government we could have nuclear solely picking up the balance by 2040. Meaning the UK could be totally free of fossil fuel electricity generation before mid 21st century.

I agree with TG. In this area of policy, governments of the last fifteen years have been far from inactive.

The current protests are misguided.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 20:11:59 »

I agree that there is nothing AFAIK (as far as I know) on the extinction rebellion website that specifically opposes railway electrification or renewable energy infrastructure.
I do however strongly suspect that many of those same protestors would also attend protests such as

"save Goring gap" from railway electrification.
"save the Bristol channel" from tidal power.
"save Exmoor" from wind turbines.

Not that the emphasis is on "saving" this or that, and never on opposing renewable energy or railway electrification.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 21:04:15 »

I suppose that its very difficult to protest in a way that gets noticed without inconveniencing the public to some degree. We should make sure all houses are properly insulated as other nations have done - but how do you protest ? Climbing up someone's loft with some glass fibre is hardly news worthy !

The problem is at the heart of capitalism itself - and changing our priorities away from making 100 people more wealthy than entire nations towards a fairer sustainable future for all isn't something the establishment are prepared to countenance. They will need to be forced into it eventually whether they like it or not. The alternative is that we put private profit first, ignore the consequences and everyone looses.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 21:22:26 »

A large part of that reduction is thanks to renewable energy generation. Wind power is now contributing close to 20% of the UK's electricity. Solar generation is approaching 4%. Total renewable energy generation in the UK now stands at 30%. Up from less than 5% fifteen years ago. A remarkable achievement that should be applauded.

That could easily reach 50% by 2030 and with the will of government we could have nuclear solely picking up the balance by 2040. Meaning the UK could be totally free of fossil fuel electricity generation before mid 21st century.

I agree with TG. In this area of policy, governments of the last fifteen years have been far from inactive.

The current protests are misguided.

I agree, UK progress towards reducing fossil fuel use has been impressive with a significant percentage of electricity now coming from renewables.
More remains to be done of course, but progress has been made.

Most energy saving or carbon reduction schemes are opposed at least initially. Remember the outrage over plans to ban energy wasting light bulbs ?
And the present outrage over plans to prohibit gas heating in new homes, and by default also ban gas cooking in new homes.
Yet these and other related policies are very needed if carbon emissions are to be reduced.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 21:37:10 »

I suppose that its very difficult to protest in a way that gets noticed without inconveniencing the public to some degree. We should make sure all houses are properly insulated as other nations have done - but how do you protest ? Climbing up someone's loft with some glass fibre is hardly news worthy !

The problem is at the heart of capitalism itself - and changing our priorities away from making 100 people more wealthy than entire nations towards a fairer sustainable future for all isn't something the establishment are prepared to countenance. They will need to be forced into it eventually whether they like it or not. The alternative is that we put private profit first, ignore the consequences and everyone looses.

If you're going to try to lay the problem at the door of capitalism you may wish to consider that China produces 28% of the World's carbon dioxide emissions....more than the USA, Russia & India combined.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: