17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:28:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate protests in London  (Read 52336 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2019, 10:03:53 »

From Christian Wolmar

There has been much debate about the rights and wrongs of the Extinction Rebellion demonstrations but Londoners seem united on one aspect: life without cars has made central London a far more pleasant place. As anyone who has been in Oxford Street or Whitehall over Easter has seen, the takeover of the streets has created a joyful atmosphere. Suggestions that this has meant lost business for local stores are not borne out by anecdotal evidence.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2019, 10:26:56 »

From Christian Wolmar

There has been much debate about the rights and wrongs of the Extinction Rebellion demonstrations but Londoners seem united on one aspect: life without cars has made central London a far more pleasant place. As anyone who has been in Oxford Street or Whitehall over Easter has seen, the takeover of the streets has created a joyful atmosphere. Suggestions that this has meant lost business for local stores are not borne out by anecdotal evidence.

"Borne out by anecdotal evidence" 😂😂😂😂😂
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2019, 10:38:52 »

From Christian Wolmar

"Borne out by anecdotal evidence" 😂😂😂😂😂

Perhaps XR (Crossrail) missed a trick by failing to commission a properly-conducted scientific study into the commercial impact of their protest?

Although this doesn't quite apply to Oxford Street, where diesel buses and taxis manage to make it a grim place without the benefit of other motor vehicles, real evidence suggests that owners of retail businesses over-estimate, by up to 100%, the number of customers coming to them by car: See https://www.citylab.com/solutions/2015/03/the-complete-business-case-for-converting-street-parking-into-bike-lanes/387595/

I'm old enough to remember the uproar when Broadmead, Bristol was pedestianised... it'll be the end for all of us! howled the shopkeepers.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2019, 09:14:52 »

Six charged with obstructing the railway at Canary Wharf - http://media.btp.police.uk/r/16440/six_charged_with_obstructing_the_railway___canary

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2019, 09:23:58 »

Interesting to note that the mean age of those charged is 55, with the eldest being 83 years old.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2019, 16:57:06 »

Interesting to note that the mean age of those charged is 55, with the eldest being 83 years old.

SAGA louts! 😂
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2019, 19:21:09 »

SAGA louts! 😂

Please stop making posts like that when I'm having my tea....... Grin
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2019, 21:43:27 »

A retired British Transport Police Inspector I know expressed her admiration for their smart paperwork in picking the serious indictable offence to charge this group. After a career of having to deal with the aftermath of foolish people getting into places on the railway they should not have been in, resulting in some terrible tragic results I can understand why
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2019, 21:50:57 »

Two from Bristol, I note. And one from "Hamshire". <Insert pork joke here>

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2019, 21:52:18 »

Following all the outrage here on personal safety and disruption to daily life, I would welcome suggestions of how to achieve rather more change in direction than has been achieved in the last thirty years, without the disruption/danger.

The following is a useful reference for international / historical comparison of GHG (Greenhouse gas) emissions. (There is also loads of other interesting stuff on the same site).

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-and-other-greenhouse-gas-emissions
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2019, 11:59:53 »

Following all the outrage here on personal safety and disruption to daily life, I would welcome suggestions of how to achieve rather more change in direction than has been achieved in the last thirty years, without the disruption/danger.

The following is a useful reference for international / historical comparison of GHG (Greenhouse gas) emissions. (There is also loads of other interesting stuff on the same site).

There is a good argument that XR (Crossrail) should pick their targets with more care, and that their celebrity supporters should realise that they damage their cause by jetting around the world to 'star' in protests. Greta Thunberg, notably, came by train.

As my fellow Bristolian says in his latest piece at Marble Arch:

From this moment despair ends and tactics begin.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 15:52:06 by Red Squirrel » Logged

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2019, 13:48:20 »

There is a good argument that XR (Crossrail) should pick their targets with more care, and that their celebrity supporters should realise that they damage their casue by jetting around the world to 'star' in protests. Greta Thunberg, notably, came by train.

As my fellow Bristolian says in his latest piece at Marble Arch:

From this moment despair ends and tactics begin.

The same line quoted, I think by another Bristol entity a few decades back on the cover of an L.P. by "The Pop Group".
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2019, 16:17:01 »

Here are a few peaceful suggestions.
Lobby, petition, and march in favour of more and larger wind farms.
Ditto in favour of changes to the building regulations to require new homes to be zero carbon.
Protest against any more oil and gas exploration.
Argue against any and all new construction of gas burning power plants.
Argue against all new road building.
And of course set a good example by not driving or flying, and by minimising use of fuel in the home.

And a few less peaceful but probably more effective actions.
Disrupt air travel by blocking roads to airports, leaving fake bombs in airports, drone flying.
Try to close down coal burning power stations by disrupting rail access thereto.
Publicly shame NIMBYs who argue against renewable energy infrastructure.
Publicly shame and blockade or disrupt energy wasting organisations.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2019, 16:41:04 »

You missed a bit...

Lobby, petition, and march in favour of more and larger wind farms (especially in the home counties) Tongue
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2019, 16:48:31 »

You missed a bit...

Lobby, petition, and march in favour of more and larger wind farms (especially in the home counties) Tongue

Anywhere with enough wind.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: