Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 06:15:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Easter Quiz  (Read 10306 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2019, 10:51:07 »

Since I don't have your source for no. 9, I shall have to guess. One guinea sounds about right - third class, naturally.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2019, 10:58:24 »

Since I don't have your source for no. 9, I shall have to guess. One guinea sounds about right - third class, naturally.

That would have been a perfect answer for first class!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2019, 11:15:08 »

1. Ruabon-Barmouth: (Llangollen Railway (preserved standard gauge), Bala Lake Railway (preserved narrow gauge), Barmouth Jct (Morfa Mawddach)-Barmouth (NR» (Network Rail - home page))

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2019, 11:43:04 »

1. Ruabon-Barmouth: (Llangollen Railway (preserved standard gauge), Bala Lake Railway (preserved narrow gauge), Barmouth Jct (Morfa Mawddach)-Barmouth (NR» (Network Rail - home page))

Correct.   

I am ... tempted ... to raise the question of "preserved" v "heritage" v "tourist"; I chose in the question to use "heritage" for the Llangollen railway and "tourist" for the Bala Lake. To my mind, a "preserved railway" is one with the tracks in situ from the days prior to it becoming a heritage or tourist attraction, though I suppose there are preserved elements in place on the Llangollen railway at some stations and in the rolling stock, and even on the Bala Lake at Llanuwchllyn's station buildings.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2019, 11:57:14 »

Just 2 questions remaining ...

4. The first trains in the country to be fitted with retention toilets. On what route? In what year were they fitted?

8. Summer 1952 departures at 06:25, 07:25, 08:25, 09:00, 10:30, 12:20, 13:12, 14:20, 15:13 (Saturday only), 17:00, 17:35, 19:05, 21:00, 22:05 and 23:10 (Wednesdays and Saturdays only). 11:05, 17:25, 19:15, 20:20, 21:34 and 22:33 on Sundays.   From where?

And an incorrect guess at no. 4 has suggested that the answer is prior to 1983, and is not the appropriately named BED-PAN line with class 317 - suggestion by celestial.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2019, 12:13:06 »

I am ... tempted ... to raise the question of "preserved" v "heritage" v "tourist"; I chose in the question to use "heritage" for the Llangollen railway and "tourist" for the Bala Lake. To my mind, a "preserved railway" is one with the tracks in situ from the days prior to it becoming a heritage or tourist attraction, though I suppose there are preserved elements in place on the Llangollen railway at some stations and in the rolling stock, and even on the Bala Lake at Llanuwchllyn's station buildings.

It's a nice point. There's no original track on the Llangollen Railway, but even on railways where the track stayed in situ after closure they are now needing to replace it - generally with non-prototypical FB rail on concrete sleepers. The GWSR was initially relaid in part using 'correct' GWR (Great Western Railway) throughbolt sleepers, but the railway's policy is now to replace these with top-screwed Southern-style ones (where they still use wood) as these are easier to maintain, and for similar reasons the Toddington to Broadway section is CWR (Continuously Welded Rail), again for ease of maintenance. The upshot this is that there is no such thing as a 'preserved' railway; heritage railways, are at, best conserved.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2019, 12:38:41 »

Are you sure that's 1st class?  I mean, it wasn't just a wild guess!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2019, 12:46:45 »

4. The first trains in the country to be fitted with retention toilets. On what route? In what year were they fitted?

I've found an answer for this but will let someone else in first as I've answered one already!

But "Misery" might be a clue...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2019, 12:54:21 »

Are you sure that's 1st class?  I mean, it wasn't just a wild guess!

Yeah - I know it was a wild guess.  I was amazed - I really expected a long series of "higher" and "lower" hints would be needed!

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2019, 13:14:53 »

That is rather odd. It ended up as a more informed guess than I expected, using Ordinary Single fares from Paddington in Timetable World's two Western Region timetables of around that date:

May 1949 Melksham 1st: 32/7 3rd 19/6 (Trowbridge is the same)

May 1965 Trowbridge 2nd: 24/-  (for some reason Melksham isn't listed...)

I was surprised to find those fares so close to each other that interpolation could be done with some confidence ... but even more surprised to find that confidence vitiated by fares being so much lower in 1952!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2019, 08:04:14 »

Interesting that the first class fare is 1.5 * 3rd (standard) class fare consistently across the table.  Compare that today from Reading to Paddington where the respective fares are £44.90 and £25.10 nearly a ratio of 1.8, and three years ago - before the first class price freeze* - it was in excess of 2!

*very quietly introduced such that even the ticket staff didn't know.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2019, 10:09:56 »

Interesting that the first class fare is 1.5 * 3rd (standard) class fare consistently across the table.  Compare that today from Reading to Paddington where the respective fares are £44.90 and £25.10 nearly a ratio of 1.8, and three years ago - before the first class price freeze* - it was in excess of 2!

*very quietly introduced such that even the ticket staff didn't know.

If you look at other timetables on Timetable World, you will see that in 1949 on WR the mark-up for first was above 50% in most cases, and even at that date subject the kind of mysterious variations that we see now. For example, Penzance 102/11 and 61/10 (66% mark-up, and I've not tried hard to find the biggest).

You will also observe that peculiarly British notion - that a return ticket ought not to cost much more than a single - was already current, so a monthly return to Penzance was 123/9 and 82/6. Here the mark-up for 1st is regularly 50%, so the cost of the return trip in 1st almost the same as in 3rd! (20/10 vs 20/8).

This scheme is explained in words in the 1950 SR(resolve) timetable, below the list of 1st and 3rd single fares:

"Monthly return tickets...
  THIRD CLASS - at approximately single fare and one third for return journey.
  FIRST CLASS - 50 percent over third class
Ordinary return tickets at double the ordinary single fares are available ... outward and return halves are valid for three months."

And in 1965 the WR fares list, now solely of 2nd class, has at its head:

"Ordinary returns are issued generally at double the single fare.
FIRST CLASS tickets are approximately 50 percent above second class."

I have read somewhere that, after the war, fares were put up by 40%; mainly to reduce demand to what the railways could cope with in their run-down state. I could believe that 1st fares went up a bit more then, and the 50% mark-up had been normal before that (at least for some companies) and was reintroduced later on. You might also guess that the sharp drop (reversing much more than 40%) of 1949-52 was the removal of that "austerity" surcharge, though how that relates to  the change of government in 1951 is unclear.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2019, 03:46:25 »

"Open Season" ... the remaining questions are now available to anyone, including those who have already provided a correct answer.   From reading a comment, I suspect one member will common with a correct answer to No. 4 on his next visit to the forum.   Not even a hint at no. 8 yet, but then I don't know of any members who live in that place.

Just 2 questions remaining ...

8. Summer 1952 departures at 06:25, 07:25, 08:25, 09:00, 10:30, 12:20, 13:12, 14:20, 15:13 (Saturday only), 17:00, 17:35, 19:05, 21:00, 22:05 and 23:10 (Wednesdays and Saturdays only). 11:05, 17:25, 19:15, 20:20, 21:34 and 22:33 on Sundays.   From where?

And an incorrect guess at no. 4 has suggested that the answer is prior to 1983, and is not the appropriately named BED-PAN line with class 317 - suggestion by celestial.

jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2019, 08:05:21 »

4. Class 159 on Waterloo-Exeter in 1993?

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2019, 08:55:28 »

No 4 - I think! - is the Southend Corridor Express, on the London Tilbury & Southend ("Misery") Line. Introduced circa 1910. http://citytransport.info/Compartment.htm
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: