Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:23:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: “flygskam”, or “flight-shame”, movement  (Read 9373 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 26, 2019, 15:28:43 »

From The Guardian

“flygskam”, or “flight-shame”, movement

The success of Sweden’s “flygskam”, or “flight-shame”, movement means that Karlsson struggles to respond to calls or emails from less high-profile customers than Greta. He said he had been working 16-hour days, nearly seven days a week, trying to meet the surge in demand, with bookings at his Centralens Resebutik agency increasing eightfold this January compared with two years ago.

“We were already stretched to a limit last year and now we’ve doubled that,” said Karlsson, who is based in the city of Kalmar. “If we had greater resources, then we could have done much more. The demand and interest is much, much bigger than we can cope with.”

I would be happy - very happy indeed - to stick with rail travel even for longer journeys.    Just need to get the prices, capacities, schedules and the information systems right.   Look at Karlsson in the quote (a snippet from an article) above. He shouldn't have to be working 16 hour days to help people - it should be a natural part of the systems provided that people can help themselves!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 09:00:21 »

News from the same Swedes who gave us flygskam - which Englishes well enough as flight-shame - or more likely from a quite different bunch of Swedes. It's also maybe a bit close to home on this forum, as tagskryt means "train-boasting". I take that to cover not just avoiding air travel, but going on and on about it. It doesn't suggest an English version, and the Dutch treintrots of similar meaning is no more helpful. But I guess Inventing a word (or phrase) for English ought to be left to them as will use it.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 09:55:20 »

Train trots are what happens after visiting that kebab shop on Praed Street.

Being serious, this idea, if I've understood it correctly, seems to be a specific form of the humblebrag, perhaps crossed with greenwashing.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 13:09:05 »

I am strongly in favour of encouraging long distance rail instead of air travel. Even a diesel train is preferable to an airliner, and an electric train better still.

Under present conditions though I find it hard to recommend UK (United Kingdom) rail travel. It is often hugely expensive, fares are complex, and capacity often inadequate for present passenger numbers, let alone for any significant increase.

If greater use of rail is to be encouraged in the UK, then I consider train length to be the most important issue. Note that I state train length and not capacity.

Comfort and facilities are also important. Rail is never going to be as quick as air, so needs to compete on comfort and facilities rather than on speed.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 13:56:43 »

I am strongly in favour of encouraging long distance rail instead of air travel. Even a diesel train is preferable to an airliner, and an electric train better still.

Under present conditions though I find it hard to recommend UK (United Kingdom) rail travel. It is often hugely expensive, fares are complex, and capacity often inadequate for present passenger numbers, let alone for any significant increase.

If greater use of rail is to be encouraged in the UK, then I consider train length to be the most important issue. Note that I state train length and not capacity.

Comfort and facilities are also important. Rail is never going to be as quick as air, so needs to compete on comfort and facilities rather than on speed.
I'd agree with much of this, but the comparison with air fares is dependent on where you are.  As an example, for a morning journey a week today:-

Bristol to Edinburgh.  Fly £28, Rail £200.  Flying time, 1 hr 15, rail, 6hrs, so even with the getting to and from the airline palaver, still a lot quicker to fly.  Rail will be in a Voyager, which is a bit rubbish for 6 hrs.  (I've done it, and it wasn't pleasant.) At least you know on Easyjet the trolley will be down in the first 45 mins.

London to Edinburgh.  Fly £30, Rail from around £74.  Flying time 1 hr 20 (Luton), Rail 4 hrs 20 mins. Flying still probably faster, depending on where you are starting, but there are lots of airports around London to choose from. The gap is much less though, especially when you add in the cost of airport parking or transfers.   

So rail is still more expensive, but the difference on price and journey time is much closer, and maybe worth it to avoid the hassle of the airport, and to take the greener approach.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 14:13:09 »

THe first thing that needs to happen is for flight prices to become more realistic - but this is not saying that rail is realically priced either. Just that flights are more unrealistic (in cheapness) than rail is unrealistic (un expensiveness).

Aircraft fuel for flights that are deemed unenvironmental in terms of distance, for example needs taxing properly - i.e. VAT (Value Added Tax) added for a start. That would add circa 20% to the cost (an argument exists though to add VAT to all furl, like vehicle fuel)

*then* look for other ways to persuade folk that domestic flights (except maybe the south to north, beyond Edinburgh/Glasgow axis) are so unenviromentaly friendly that there are better, more environmentally friendly ways of getting there)
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 16:39:50 »

Aircraft fuel for flights that are deemed unenvironmental in terms of distance, for example needs taxing properly - i.e. VAT (Value Added Tax) added for a start. That would add circa 20% to the cost (an argument exists though to add VAT to all furl, like vehicle fuel)

The risk with that is that airlines "reverse fuel-tanker" which would itself increase carbon emissions, and probably substantially so. It would also leave British airlines at a disadvantage with its competitors on routes to and from the UK (United Kingdom), because foreign airlines could completely avoid VAT on short haul flights, whereas BA» (British Airways - about), for example, could only avoid some of it.  Passengers could then use the foreign carrier instead, where prices would be relatively unchanged, so the net effect would be the same amount of passengers but not on UK airlines.

APD (Air Passenger Duty) already exists as an environmental tax, so better to make it more sophisticated.  Make the amount variable according to the fuel efficiency per seat of the plane, so as to encourage fleet replacement with more modern craft, as passengers on airlines using older planes would see the difference in their pockets. Charged to the customer on the expected aircraft at booking, but to the airline on what actually flies.

Or, how about an APD per kilo of luggage, hand and hold, to encourage lighter luggage.  Paid at the airport, based on the credit card already used to book or entered at online check in, all it would need is a set of scales at the gate for hand luggage. Could be done in seconds.  £2 per kilo would take some weight off each flight once people got used to the idea.  It might even encourage lighter suitcases. Think how much suitcase weight gets carted around the world each day.   
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 16:54:27 »

The reason suitcases are so heavy is that they are designed to resist, as far as possible, the aggressive handling by airport baggage handlers. They have to withstand being thrown around.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 18:55:02 »

Suitcases are an awful lot lighter than they used to be. A while ago I was helping my aunt sort out some stuff at her house. She had her father's (my grandfather's) 1960s (or thereabouts) Samsonite suitcases, which were tiny compared to what people use nowadays but, empty, weighed much more. If people's luggage is heavier nowadays (and I'm sure it is) it's in part because lighter construction has enabled bigger cases, which people then fill; but it's probably mostly just because people have more stuff.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 18:56:01 »

I'd agree with much of this, but the comparison with air fares is dependent on where you are.  As an example, for a morning journey a week today:-

Bristol to Edinburgh.  Fly £28, Rail £200.  Flying time, 1 hr 15, rail, 6hrs, so even with the getting to and from the airline palaver, still a lot quicker to fly.  Rail will be in a Voyager, which is a bit rubbish for 6 hrs.  (I've done it, and it wasn't pleasant.) At least you know on Easyjet the trolley will be down in the first 45 mins.

London to Edinburgh.  Fly £30, Rail from around £74.  Flying time 1 hr 20 (Luton), Rail 4 hrs 20 mins. Flying still probably faster, depending on where you are starting, but there are lots of airports around London to choose from. The gap is much less though, especially when you add in the cost of airport parking or transfers.   

So rail is still more expensive, but the difference on price and journey time is much closer, and maybe worth it to avoid the hassle of the airport, and to take the greener approach.
Probably another example of the way, commented on in this forum by several people, that railways in UK are mostly geared up to transporting people to and from London.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 10:18:26 »

The risk with that is that airlines "reverse fuel-tanker" which would itself increase carbon emissions, and probably substantially so. [b[It would also leave British airlines at a disadvantage with its competitors on routes to and from the UK (United Kingdom), because foreign airlines could completely avoid VAT on short haul flights[/b], whereas BA» (British Airways - about), for example, could only avoid some of it.  Passengers could then use the foreign carrier instead, where prices would be relatively unchanged, so the net effect would be the same amount of passengers but not on UK airlines.

My emphasis. I was discussing this point in relation to *domestic* short-haul flights - while foreign (at least EU» (European Union - about)) airlines can currently offer UK domestic flights under EU rules, this presumably will come to an end on December 31st this year. So wuld only apply to UK airlines after that.

APD (Air Passenger Duty) already exists as an environmental tax, so better to make it more sophisticated.  Make the amount variable according to the fuel efficiency per seat of the plane, so as to encourage fleet replacement with more modern craft, as passengers on airlines using older planes would see the difference in their pockets. Charged to the customer on the expected aircraft at booking, but to the airline on what actually flies.

Do both - and really price domestic flights such that you pay for your domestic CO2 emissions!

Or, how about an APD per kilo of luggage, hand and hold, to encourage lighter luggage.  Paid at the airport, based on the credit card already used to book or entered at online check in, all it would need is a set of scales at the gate for hand luggage. Could be done in seconds.  £2 per kilo would take some weight off each flight once people got used to the idea.  It might even encourage lighter suitcases. Think how much suitcase weight gets carted around the world each day. [/quote]

I can't disagree either - so all 3 maybe?
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 11:18:13 »

When I was a younger - and certainly lighter - man, I thought that popping me and all my luggage on the scale would be a good basis for an airfare. Might have to stick with hand baggage only now!  Grin
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 11:38:48 »

For small aircraft – Tony K might be able to say how small, but certainly for about 8 seats IME (in my experience) – it's standard to weigh passengers and seat them accordingly for weight distribution.

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 11:49:24 »

For small aircraft – Tony K might be able to say how small, but certainly for about 8 seats IME (in my experience) – it's standard to weigh passengers and seat them accordingly for weight distribution.
As Skybus (Landsend/Newquay/Exeter to Scillies do with all their smaller craft

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 11:51:56 »

I am not denying the need to husband our resources as best we can, but any restrictions on domestic air travel would only have a very small effect on the total quantity of fuel used by the aviation industry.

The Office for National Statistics produces a time series of energy supply and use called DUKES - Digest of UK (United Kingdom) Energy SuppIies. For 2017/18 this showed that 90% of aviation fuel is used for international flights, 5% by the military and 5% by domestic air travel.

So restricting domestic air travel would reduce fuel consumption by some part of that 5%. Energy used for domestic heating is orders of magnitude greater.

If you like that sort of thing - DUKES is fascinating!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: