16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:09:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR bans surfboards from IET services  (Read 36513 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2019, 08:40:34 »

I imagine most staff will try and accommodate or turn a blind eye despite policy if it avoids conflict.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2019, 09:04:02 »

It's the same with a no alcohol ban on certain rail services. I've seen it many times at Bristol Temple Meads with services to Cardiff on a big match day at the now named Principality Stadium and when I spoke a GWR (Great Western Railway) person I was well acquainted with after I witnessed a fan with a case of 12 cans accompanied by 5 of his brother fans, his reply was, "I want to go home to see my wife and kids after my shift rather than my manager having to phone her up and tell her I've been taken to the Bristol Royal Infirmary after being beaten up by football fans after I tried to take alcohol off of them". BTP (British Transport Police) were present and they made no attempt to prevent those fans boarding either.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2019, 09:13:04 »

I imagine most staff will try and accommodate or turn a blind eye despite policy if it avoids conflict.
Exactly, which I believe in most cases that is what they are trained to do.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2019, 09:40:18 »

Exactly, which I believe in most cases that is what they are trained to do.

So if you're 6' 4", growl a bit and look a bit handy, you'll be able to get on with your surfboard, but if you're a dainty and polite 5' 0" female surfer, best invest in roof bars and get in the car as you'll be told your board can't be carried.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2019, 10:01:50 »

So if you're 6' 4", growl a bit and look a bit handy, you'll be able to get on with your surfboard, but if you're a dainty and polite 5' 0" female surfer, best invest in roof bars and get in the car as you'll be told your board can't be carried.
Sadly all too often in this day and age people resort to abuse and physical violence when they don't get their way and when they don't think that rules apply to them. The seemingly dainty and polite female surfer might not be so dainty and polite when told she cannot bring her surfboard aboard.
Western Explorer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2019, 10:28:33 »

"What if the train had been scratched, and then withdrawn for a week to remove the scratch. Consider the legal costs in apportioning blame for the scratch."

Why should surfboards be treated any differently to bicycles? I would have thought that boards were less likely to cause damage than bikes.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2019, 11:15:26 »

What if the train had been scratched, and then withdrawn for a week to remove the scratch. Consider the legal costs in apportioning blame for the scratch.

Sssshh. Don't give them ideas. Next thing you know everything that could possibly cause a scratch will be removed from the train. Like knives and forks...
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2019, 11:30:20 »

"What if the train had been scratched, and then withdrawn for a week to remove the scratch. Consider the legal costs in apportioning blame for the scratch."

Why should surfboards be treated any differently to bicycles? I would have thought that boards were less likely to cause damage than bikes.

A good Hitachi lawyer might argue,
"cycles carried in the designated and purpose designed space are part of the design brief. Therefore we accept the odd minor dent and scratch of the cycle stowage area.
Surf boards carried improperly by wedging them behind the seats, are NOT part of the design brief. Any damage caused by such misuse  is the fault of GWR (Great Western Railway) for permitting such misuse. GWR to pay for investigation and rectification. Unit out of service for the chargeable repairs. No compensation for non availability of the unit as this was caused by GWR misuse."

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2019, 11:33:28 »

Good points being made. Should the thread be named 'Hitachi bans surfboards from IET (Intercity Express Train) services'?  Wink
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2019, 11:40:43 »

Bikes are often carried where they shouldn’t be as well.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2019, 12:52:40 »

Digging back on this forum reminds me that surfboards used to be banned from all trains under the National Rail Conditions and it was only the action of then FGW (First Great Western) allowing them on certain trains (to start with) that led to their carriage being given to be at the TOCs (Train Operating Company) discretion.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2019, 17:39:19 »

Having discussed this briefly with GWR (Great Western Railway) today, the IET (Intercity Express Train) has very limited space designed for oversize luggage (bike spaces basically). Rather than reduce bike spaces (which ain't going to be popular in the summer!), the decision's been taken not to carry them on this type of train.

Possible deal may be forthcoming whereby discounts on hire may be a possible offer.

I did explain that potential surfboarders will need to know *before* starting to travel rather than finding out by sight of posters at stations!

Pity those who get them to their destination, enjoy their holiday only to find they're refused travel on the return.

Visibility currently is extremely poor
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2019, 22:57:18 »

This does seem an opportunity lost.

While I've checked on-line, and it appears that they do not make many of the personal electronic gizmos that I expect most surfers might be interested in, they have a wide portfolio of industries in many fields. Surely cooperating with GWR (Great Western Railway), and (say) providing protective sheeting in corporate colours over seats in some first class areas so they could be used for surfboards would engender lots of goodwill, associates them with a major sports event and (who knows?) might just stick in the mind of someone who is promoted and who may have valuable contracts for their products and services to award who has to shortlist suppliers to invite to tender?

Whats not to like about "Hitachi - proud to support British surfers"?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2019, 09:31:47 »

I got the impression that's it's a GWR (Great Western Railway) decision, not a Hitachi requirement imposed on GWR. Space is the issue - they *reallly don't want them in the vestibules, so it's down to the bicycle area on IETs (Intercity Express Train). And they'd be upstting the cyclists if they make room for surfboards.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2019, 10:25:04 »

I got the impression that's it's a GWR (Great Western Railway) decision, not a Hitachi requirement imposed on GWR. Space is the issue - they *reallly don't want them in the vestibules, so it's down to the bicycle area on IETs (Intercity Express Train). And they'd be upstting the cyclists if they make room for surfboards.

.....and we all know how cyclists can be if their divine rights are questioned.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: