Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:45:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR bans surfboards from IET services  (Read 36246 times)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 20:31:59 »

Featured on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Spotlight this evening.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 10:47:43 »

From Cornwall Live

Fury over Great Western Railway's new surfboard policy

The new Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) trains to speed up services in and out of Cornwall can not take surfboards.

Surfers wishing ride on one of the company's new Intercity Express Trains in the county famed for it's waves, will have to leave their boards behind.

While GWR previously allowed boards onto its trains, to be stored in the 'guard van', the new trains have been redesigned to accommodate more passengers, cutting storage space.

Surfers said that they felt that the issue was a "design flaw" which has been "overlooked".

Oh dear.

"can not take surfboards" Shocked
"famed for it's waves" Angry
'guard van'? Roll Eyes

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 12:09:04 »

Newquay surfboard hire companies I imagine are rubbing their hands!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 17:35:11 »

From Cornwall Live

Fury over Great Western Railway's new surfboard policy

The new Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) trains to speed up services in and out of Cornwall can not take surfboards.

Surfers wishing ride on one of the company's new Intercity Express Trains in the county famed for it's waves, will have to leave their boards behind.

While GWR previously allowed boards onto its trains, to be stored in the 'guard van', the new trains have been redesigned to accommodate more passengers, cutting storage space.

Surfers said that they felt that the issue was a "design flaw" which has been "overlooked".

Thank goodness this is getting some publicity.
I notice that GWR have kept this policy change quiet until the new trains have been designed, delivered and nearly in full squadron service. Maybe GWR did another ‘survey’ of passengers and that resulted in no demand for surfboard storage provision! Another example of the railway doing what it wants rather than what its passengers want. The whole thing is a dirty trick, quite disgusting really. For a while now we’ve been promised extra capacity with the arrival of the new fleet (with apparently no need to keep any 8 coach HSTs (High Speed Train)) and now we realise that they’ll be extra seats (and presumably extra revenue) but with less space for the stuff that people want to take with them! Furthermore, the policy of surfboards being permitted on units (such as 150s), Castle class HSTs, and the Night Riviera (or a rail replacement coach?) but not IETs (Intercity Express Train) will probably just be confusing to most people.
There is some space on IETS for surfboards, I was on an IET in Cornwall quite recently and someone had a large mountain bike (which is bigger than most surfboards) in the cycle/storage area with no problem at all. I don’t see why you can’t open reservations up for surfboards and double basses etc as well as bikes. Any confusion over sizes permitted can be resolved with a maximum size guide in the Conditions of carriage. If, it turns out that, you keep getting the storage areas fully reserved, then you know that there’s a need to create some more storage areas.
The cycling lobby seems comparatively (commendably) quite strong and this is probably the only reason that you can still take bikes on trains. It’s about time the surfing lobby and the Musicians union etc were also heard.
Remember all this is at a time when we’re being told, on a daily basis, by the media on how the future of the planet is in the balance due to the nature of our energy consumption and travel behaviour.
The line from Paddington to Penzance is not a 30-minute commuter line in Central London where you may be able to get away with things such as no catering or toilets etc
It’s a 5hr plus Inter-City route and should have things such as:
Reservable seats,
Proper food provision – including hot food
Toilets and accessible toilets
Places to put luggage, wheelchairs, push chairs, bikes, surfboards etc
Seats suitable for a long-distance journey
Seats which give you a reasonable view of outside (not like on a Pendolino!)
A quiet coach
I would further add that stations should have platforms that are (wherever possible) extended to be long enough for the trains that serve them, so you don’t have to get on and carry your luggage through several carriages to get to your seat, and also avoiding the ‘for station x disembark through coaches x, y, and z, for station y disembark through coaches a, b and c’ scenarios.
I’m not sure if Ladybird do a book on ‘How to run a railway’ but if they do some TOCs (Train Operating Company) might find it useful!
Note to Administrators: This post possibly relates to wider than just Plymouth and Cornwall!?
KM
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 20:37:58 »

I must admit to having no knowledge of surfboards, but I’ve heard several people suggest that one or two of the five luggage/bike areas on a 9-car train could easily be used as a storage space for surfboards if a couple of securing straps were added. 

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 20:57:34 »

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) specified "stowage solutions" only for the following types of luggage to be accommodated:

Small Bag    300x345x420mm
Large Bag      800x570x300 mm
Bicycle      Full size ‘road’ bicycle with 25inch frame
Pushchair Full size single foldable pushchair 950x500x300mm (folded)

I guess no one in that procurement team was a surfer ...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 22:39:45 »

Maybe not, but if they fit?  Mind you, no doubt it’ll be a variation of contract and have to go through approval with Hitachi and the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) before straps can be fitted...  Roll Eyes

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 05:58:39 »

….
Let's hope the Famous Five don't have any surfing planned.

Like the picture of the Famous Five surfing which I received in an email from GWR (Great Western Railway) yesterday.

Part of a Senior Railcard promotion ... but the train shown in the background is 2 cars with end doors - so probably a class 143 on which surfboards would be allowed.

But not if it’s busy! The policy above states only permitted if the service isn’t busy. Now what constitutes busy?

I'm trying to imagine the scene where a surfer brings their board onto the train at Par, and then at Bugle the train becomes too busy and the surfer is ejected from the train.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 08:35:53 »

Proof that they fit just fine!

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2019, 09:02:06 »

I must admit to having no knowledge of surfboards, but I’ve heard several people suggest that one or two of the five luggage/bike areas on a 9-car train could easily be used as a storage space for surfboards if a couple of securing straps were added. 

Yes but what happens when a 5 car unit turns up for a crowd that includes 5 cycles, 2 surfboards, a couple of wheelchairs, and a few giant baby carriages ?
BTW (by the way) there are about a dozen half length IETs (Intercity Express Train) today, must be the start of the holiday season.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:20:07 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019, 10:03:26 »

I'm imagining a bronzed, tousle-haired dude catching the biggest wave and riding it onto the platform, onto the train, surfing all the way up to the buffet* and asking for a pint of Old Spice.

*Imagining, okay?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2019, 10:26:43 »

Yes but what happens when a 5 car unit turns up for a crowd that includes 5 cycles, 2 surfboards, a couple of wheelchairs, and a few giant baby carriages ?

There’s no doubt the HST (High Speed Train) power car space was useful on the oddoccasion like that.  A redundant utter waste of space 99.9% of the time though.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2019, 10:56:39 »

A proper inter-city train should have provision for bulky luggage including cycles, surfboards and large cases. The fact that such space is unused much of the time is simply part of running a train service.
A lot of seats go unused at off peak times.
Large luggage space may be unused outside of the holiday season.
Wheelchair spaces are often unused.

As the IETs (Intercity Express Train) make such efficient use of space, with no space "wasted" on a buffet and with minimal provision for cycles, no space "wasted" on carrying surfboards, may we look forward to significant reduction in fares ?
All this space saving efficiency should be reflected in the fares.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2019, 11:34:35 »

A proper inter-city train should have provision for bulky luggage including cycles, surfboards and large cases. The fact that such space is unused much of the time is simply part of running a train service.

I think the picture I posted this morning proved that they do have adequate space.  Potentially 10 bikes, or a combination of bikes, bulky luggage and, as proven, at least two surfboards per compartment on 9-car train.  Passengers are also able to keep an eye on their possessions during the journey unlike on HSTs (High Speed Train).

There is inadequate provision for buggies however, hence my suggestion of a few weeks ago.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2019, 13:31:23 »

Having had a good look at the luggage/bike areas today and looking at the photo I posted earlier, assuming that is of a full sized surfboard, I reckon you could fit three in each compartment.  There’s room for one to the left of the dividing bar (as shown), but there’s more room to the right of the bar as you don’t have the folded down shelves taking up space, so I reckon two could be stowed there.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: