Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:41:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR bans surfboards from IET services  (Read 36248 times)
mjray

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2019, 14:29:12 »

I probably shouldn't suggest this, but if they fit in the bike racks, why not just reserve a bike space? Draw a few bike symbols on the bag and claim that it's a bagged bike if anyone asks. Take a luggage strap to strap it to the rails if you feel the need.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2019, 16:27:24 »

The fact that such space is unused much of the time is simply part of running a train service.
A lot of seats go unused at off peak times.
Large luggage space may be unused outside of the holiday season.
Wheelchair spaces are often unused.

Agreed (the bit I have highlighted in purple)

I know of only a very few public transports which only depart when they are full and they very few times I have used one I have felt irritated by the wait, and the inevitable heavy crowding.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2019, 16:41:02 »

Some years ago I travelled on the winter through Eurostar service to the Alps.

There's a demand on this for people who want to bring their skis with them.

Very sensibly, Eurostar deal with this by not selling two pairs of seats at the end of each coach, and then covering these with a plastic cover (exactly like the ones that the garage puts on your driver's seat). The cover has a pictogram on it of some skis.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2019, 20:04:20 »

London commuters have a very loud collective voice and GWR (Great Western Railway) prioritise their needs over long distance passengers. The new IETs (Intercity Express Train) are no exception, with plenty of seats but no buffet, limited heavy luggage storage and space for only a handful of bikes. Perhaps its time that GWR Long Distance became a separate franchise, with strictly controlled pick-up/put-down at Reading and 9 car IETs reformatted to accommodate the needs of the long distance traveller? Then short distance GWR could squeeze extra seats into the 5 car sets (you don’t need all those toilets!) and abolish the token trolley service
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2019, 20:14:22 »

The IETs (Intercity Express Train) were specified by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and were a condition of the franchise.  The later ones, although ordered by GWR (Great Western Railway) still had to be approved by DfT and I suspect that it was significantly cheaper to stick with existing designs.  Does anyone at Dft actually know what a surfboard is?

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
MarkHopwood

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2019, 21:57:49 »

There are a number of practical reasons why train length cannot exceed 9 or 10 cars and the pressing need from customers is for more seats. Other contributors have commented on the wasted space in HST (High Speed Train) power cars.

Other posts here make less flattering comments about short distance journeys on InterCity trains - the market has developed that way thanks to differing levels of economic growth and national house building strategy. It’s not for us at GWR (Great Western Railway) to change that but the IET (Intercity Express Train) trains clearly had to meet a variety of customer needs including very clear expectations from customers, stakeholders and government they would bring an increase in capacity.
mjray

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2019, 13:28:53 »

Perhaps its time that GWR (Great Western Railway) Long Distance became a separate franchise,
Didn't we already try that? I remember the days of GWR being the Intercity operator and suffering Thames Trains, Wales & West, Valley Lines and who remembers what else?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2019, 13:56:46 »

Perhaps its time that GWR (Great Western Railway) Long Distance became a separate franchise,
Didn't we already try that? I remember the days of GWR being the Intercity operator and suffering Thames Trains, Wales & West, Valley Lines and who remembers what else?

Good and bad ...

* When asking (FGW (First Great Western)) staff at Swindon how to get to Melksham (a Wessex train) being directed to the Bath train with advise to take a bus from there ... when a TransWilts train (that name not in use in those days) was sitting the the bay, running 5 times a day, and due out about 10 minutes later. These days - eventually - a much better service an a much better attitude towards it.

* Direct trains Chippenham and Swindon to Oxford - sadly missed. As are the middle of the night Maesteg to Waterloo via Chippenham service, and that direct Stockport to Bradford-on-Avon service I once took, though neither would have the same business or political case these days with Eurostar moved from Waterloo to St Pancras.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2019, 14:17:52 »

The problem was that the split was in the wrong place. Alphaline services generally belonged in Intercity.

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2019, 20:37:38 »

The IETs (Intercity Express Train) were specified by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and were a condition of the franchise.

I think what's most frustrating is that although the IET layouts were specified by DfT, the day-to-day usage of bike and luggage spaces wasn't - that's entirely at GWR (Great Western Railway)'s discretion.

GWR have chosen a "one size fits all" policy where the same rules apply to every train, whatever service it's working, whatever time of year. No surfboards for Cornwall. No extra bike allocation for the Cotswolds, where we've been reduced from 6 bikes per 180 to 2 per 5-coach IET. And so on. In an age of train-by-train yield management, it should be possible to do better than that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:30:00 by Richard Fairhurst » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2019, 00:43:38 »

MarkHopwood, I welcome your previous post on this topic - thank you for contributing! - but are you able to expand your comments in response to the particular point raised by Richard Fairhurst above?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2019, 07:25:40 »

The IETs (Intercity Express Train) were specified by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and were a condition of the franchise.

I think what's most frustrating is that although the IET layouts were specified by DfT, the day-to-day usage of bike and luggage spaces wasn't - that's entirely at GWR (Great Western Railway)'s discretion.

GWR have chosen a "one size fits all" policy where the same rules apply to every train, whatever service it's working, whatever time of year. No surfboards for Cornwall. No extra bike allocation for the Cotswolds. And so on. In an age of train-by-train yield management, it should be possible to do better than that.

My impression is that the GWR IET was designed as a middle-distance commuter (eg Bristol to London and all points in between) train with the longer distance traveller ignored.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2019, 12:45:09 »

Indeed, years ago I expressed the view that the IETs (Intercity Express Train) were basically a commuter train and unsuited to inter-city use.
IET supporters disagreed and some pointed out that IETs were intended for the shorter journeys, with HSTs (High Speed Train) being retained for Cornish services.

Then it was announced that no HSTs were being retained and all long distance services were to be downgraded to DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

IET supporters then rallied with the suggestion that the additional IETs for the Cornish services "could" be to a better specification, including more luggage space, and "might" include a buffet.
I replied that this seemed unlikely, to which advocates of the new DMUs stated that I should not be so negative "before any of us have even seen any of the follow on order".

In fact of course the additional units were of the same commuter style.

And whilst I have not yet seen every example of the IET fleet, I can state that none of them have buffets.
Toilets are unreliable.
Seat reservations seldom work.
Seat are too hard.
Single 5 car formations are a frequent feature, over a dozen yesterday.
The catering downgrade has been a fiasco, with the trolley often either entirely absent, or hiding in first class, or in the other unit of a 5+5 train.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2019, 14:26:45 »

''Indeed, years ago I expressed the view that the IETs (Intercity Express Train) were basically a commuter train and unsuited to inter-city use.
IET supporters disagreed and some pointed out that IETs were intended for the shorter journeys, with HSTs (High Speed Train) being retained for Cornish services.''

Totally agree with broadgage, I had the same opinion of Cross-Country Voyager's when they were introduced. Ironic that XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))
 are running converted HST's.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2019, 16:59:09 »

And whilst I have not yet seen every example of the IET (Intercity Express Train) fleet, I can state that none of them have buffets.
Toilets are unreliable.
Seat reservations seldom work.
Seat are too hard.
Single 5 car formations are a frequent feature, over a dozen yesterday.
The catering downgrade has been a fiasco, with the trolley often either entirely absent, or hiding in first class, or in the other unit of a 5+5 train.

Yesterday the 9:00 Temple Meads to Paddington was 2x5.  No trolley in front portion and a garbled announcement that the static trolley was in coach B in the rear portion.  No seat reservations and no announcements of that fact.  No sign of any GWR (Great Western Railway) staff all journey.

Return 20:45.  Paper seat reservations, no sign of any trolley and train manager checked tickets after Swindon.

Seats Yatton Temple Meads and return FAR more comfortable than the IETs.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: