12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
Delayed
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 13:38:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[298] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[82] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Cornish delays
[53] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[30] Where have I been?
[29] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Grayling does it again - and is now gone  (Read 18153 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 22:18:20 »

Whilst Boris is hardly a safe pair of hands I suppose we should be grateful it was he visiting the UK (United Kingdom) Atomic Energy Authority today.

Imagine if it had been Chris Grayling. The home counties would have been laid to waste this evening, and Raymond Briggs would have been sharpening his pencil.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 22:22:11 »

Whilst Boris is hardly a safe pair of hands I suppose we should be grateful it was he visiting the UK (United Kingdom) Atomic Energy Authority today.

Imagine if it had been Chris Grayling. The home counties would have been laid to waste this evening, and Raymond Briggs would have been sharpening his pencil.

Arf, I nearly spilt my glass of sweet sherry laughing at that one.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 19:06:51 »

Is he familiar with newfangled forms of transport such as trains that run from elecktrickery?

Another Catweazle fan!

It's been a long time since I last saw Catweazle on TV. It will be repeated on Talking Pictures TV from Saturday 2nd November.

https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/TPTV-Weekly-Highlights-28.10.19-1.pdf

Catweazle comes to Talking Pictures TV
Stars: Geoffrey Bayldon, Robin Davies, Gary Warren, Neil McCarthy,
Charles ‘Bud’ Tingwell, Moray Watson and Peter Butterworth
plus many guest actors including: Patricia Hayes, Hattie Jacques,
John Junkin, Peter Sallis and Paul Eddington. The series ran
from 1970-1971 and was divided between three directors:
Quentin Lawrence, David Reid and David Lane. It was created by
Richard Carpenter, a prolific writer both for ITV and the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), who
contributed to The Adventures of Black Beauty and wrote Dick Turpin,
The Ghosts of Motley Hall and Robin of Sherwood, among others.
He won a Guild of Great Britain Award for Catweazle. Filled with
humour, warmth and charm, Catweazle captured the imagination of
children everywhere with Richard Carpenter’s story of a bumbling
magician and his pet toad, trapped nine hundred years ahead of their
own time. Geoffrey Bayldon gave an entrancing performance as
Catweazle the wizard, who mistakes all modern technology for powerful
magic, particularly “elec-trickery” (electricity) and the “telling bone”
(telephone). The series boasted a superb regular cast, plus guest
appearances by some of Britain’s finest actors of the period.
Airs: Sat 2nd Nov at 3:30pm & continues Saturdays & Sundays
at the same time
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2019, 19:31:42 »

I never saw Catweazle but had heared of it. Perhaps I wasn't in it's target age group (I'd have been about 11 or 12 when it first came out.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2019, 20:03:02 »

I've definitely never seen Catweazle but elecktrickery is a common enough pun.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2019, 21:07:22 »

I've definitely never seen Catweazle but elecktrickery is a common enough pun.

Yes, we used it all the time "in them olden S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) days"......elecktrickery that is..... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 21:18:16 by SandTEngineer » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2019, 22:19:28 »

Yes, we used it all the time "in them olden S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) days"......elecktrickery that is..... Roll Eyes

I wonder who first coined it?

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2019, 22:23:06 »

I wonder who first coined it?

Well, when I started in the S&T Gang way back in 1969, most of the gang were from Cheshire and they all used it....

Don't know whats this all got to do with Grayling but its certainly more interesting!
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 06:14:36 »

not forgetting that Bristolians live in an aerial and not an area,

and you go careful,mind.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 08:42:05 »

Well, when I started in the S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) Gang way back in 1969, most of the gang were from Cheshire and they all used it....

That nails that one, then. Catweazle first appeared on television (then known in Cheshire as "witchcraft") in 1970.

not forgetting that Bristolians live in an aerial and not an area,

I once asked our security guard to say "It would be a good idea if Eva, Ida, and Norma were to leave this area, and go to live in America. With Monica." He couldn't understand why he brought the house down.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 15:38:29 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 09:52:54 »

Google Ngrams suggests the height of use of electrickery was in the 1940s, after appearing in the 1930s. Catweazle re-popularised it to some extent.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 16:42:06 »

My favourite 'areal' story about the Brizzle 'l' is the interviewer who asked a passer by to read the poster outside the 'Ippodrome. The poster read ...Eva Turner prima donna of the Carl Rosa Opera company will appear in Cavalliera Rusticana. It doesn't need too much imagination to work out what was actually said !
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 20:54:30 »

Ah yes, that old chestnut:

The Bristol City  UNDERLGROUND !!?.

I sense the need for some elucidation: In linguistic terms (let's not get sidetracked by the excellent products of Bristol Commercial Vehicles Ltd) the Bristol 'L' is a letter that is only ever attached to the end of a word; indeed among students of Bristolian it is sometimes referred to as the 'terminal L'. The skill in applying it lies in the native knowledge of those words which are in danger of letting dust in - for the terminal L's purpose is to exclude dust where it might otherwise penetrate and cause damage. There is never any potential for particulate ingress in the middle of a word, so UNDERLGROUND is just not possible.

Maybe it would help to consider this shibboleth: "Eva Turner, prima donna of the Carl Rosa Opera". To a native it is a simple manner to assign L's as required; I'm sure all Bristol folk would agree that "Evil Turner, primal donnal of the Carol Rosal operal" sounds much better. A foreigner, maybe someone from north of Olveston or east of Keynsham, would almost certainly reveal themselves by applying the L to 'Turner', creating a vile chimera along the lines of "Turnall" or, worse, "Turnerl". The apparent gender reassignment (from Carl to Carol) is actually nothing more than a misunderstanding - it is simply the logical consequence of actually pronouncing the letter R, rather than dropping it as RP speakers insist on doing.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 23:35:52 »

I am obliged to m'learned friend, once more.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2019, 07:55:54 »

In phonetic terms, Bristol terminal L only follows schwa [at least I think it never follows proper, grown up vowels]. Therefore it is correct to say, as Prof. Squirrel has pointed out, that it's purpose is to keep the dust out.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: