17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 20:31:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[97] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] IETs at Melksham
[18] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[17] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[16] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Temple Quarter, Bristol  (Read 12680 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 18:30:47 »

What a wonderful plan. I like it very much. Looks like the Colourworks was approximately on the site of the current dogs' home!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 18:36:00 »

No, the Dogs' Home is just off the bottom right of the map, on the other side of the Avon - see this view: https://goo.gl/maps/kpmh7KPPFQhn48fF7

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 18:42:08 »

Of course. I was totally misreading the plan.  Embarrassed
Interesting to see the linoleum works top right, I wonder when that closed?

Ed: It was part of, or associated with, the Colourworks. Still curious to learn it was made there. AFAIK (as far as I know) it's only made in Scotland now.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2020, 18:45:38 »

Legal and General's vision for Arena Temple Island, Bristol has been published on the Mayor's Blog. A lot of nice pictures and not much detail, but interesting to see (on p.18) a new pedestrian route from Bath Road towards the new 'back entrance' of Temple Meads.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2020, 19:50:34 »

Legal and General's vision for Arena Temple Island, Bristol has been  interesting to see (on p.18) a new pedestrian route from Bath Road towards the new 'back entrance' of Temple Meads.

Would that be using the currently named "Bridge To Nowhere" that was installed fairly recently or have I got my bearings all wrong here?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2020, 21:28:07 »

Yes it would and no you haven't. This would link through ascending levels (platforms) through the site up to Bath Road, just south of the girder bridge.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2020, 22:31:49 »

I wonder if the "Bridge to Nowhere" tag (as coined by the Evening Post, I think) will persist after it actually goes somewhere? This is, after all, how places and things sometimes get their names.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2020, 22:40:05 »

That would be madness. It would be like continuing to call a 570-year-old pub the New Inn...

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2020, 23:18:05 »

That would be madness. It would be like continuing to call a 570-year-old pub the New Inn...

Funnily enough, I had a pint in one such place recently.

Names can be problematic, but it is true that new places can acquire a local moniker. I once saw a sign for "Wheelwash Lane" in a new estate somewhere. Turns out that the site entrance was close to there when the area was being transformed from lush farmland and pasture into an exciting new development of shoddily built 2 and 3 bedroom houses. The wheelwash for lorries leaving the site was there, and the road was known as that by so many people that it was made official.

In Bristol, the Old Bridewell was long our central nick, the New Bridewell was the concrete monolith built as a headquarters for the police force, around the corner. That has since been demolished, and something new built - should that be the New New Bridewell or the Old New Bridewell?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 13:27:12 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2020, 17:29:19 »

In one of the villages in the Stroud Valleys (I'm afraid I can't remember which one) there are houses called the Old Police Station and the Old Nick. Both accurate but I'm not sure which was first.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2020, 22:00:21 »

Seems like an ineffectively redacted press release from BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) sheds some doubt as to whether a conference centre and hotel will actually be built on "arena island". This rather undermines Mayor Marv's reassurances about a suitable alternative use if it's true.

For once, Bristol Evening Post/Bristol Live, might have a bit of a scoop.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/details-temple-island-deal-accidentally-3792175
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2020, 13:25:46 »

Seems like an ineffectively redacted press release from BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) sheds some doubt as to whether a conference centre and hotel will actually be built on "arena island". This rather undermines Mayor Marv's reassurances about a suitable alternative use if it's true.

For once, Bristol Evening Post/Bristol Live, might have a bit of a scoop.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/details-temple-island-deal-accidentally-3792175

I'm amazed that the Post hasn't taken this further. The whole Arenal affair was beginning to look like a big cosy arrangement between the mayor and his Malaysian pals, whether or not it was. Now, it looks as though he is about to expose the Council to some potentially large bills without asking them first, to give Legal and General carte blanche. Those bills could easily amount to the extra costs he was supposed to be saving Bristol from by dumping the Arenal plan.

Mayors passim have been hung out to dry for less.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: