Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:32:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Go big or go home!  (Read 6422 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2019, 12:29:40 »

Union Pacific 'Big Boy' 4-8-8-4 No.4014, the world's largest steam locomotive, moved under its own power on 1st May for the first time on 60 years. 4014 joins 4-8-4 No.844 in UP's excursion fleet, and is due to take part in celebrations to mark the 150th anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad this year.

Details of the tour schedule are here: https://www.up.com/media/releases/190314-big-boy-schedule.htm

YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrqzaSDiM-A&t=8s

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 12:34:35 »

Many years ago I had to dodge a thing like that when working on the track.

.....well, it was the 7 1/4inch version on the Dobwalls Theme Park railway in Cornwall Grin

Lots more photographs here: https://www.jhluxton.com/The-35mm-Film-Archive/Railways/Forest-Railroad-Dobwalls-Cornw/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:44:38 by SandTEngineer » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 13:39:20 »

I have vivid happy memories of my childhood visits to Dobwalls. Such a shame it's all gone. Also a shame that the many photos taken by grandparents of me at Dobwalls have been disposed of. 

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 14:16:44 »

I'm leaving tomorrow morning to go to the event in Ogden, Utah, on Thursday.

I'll report back when I get home next Monday.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 14:41:43 »

I'm leaving tomorrow morning to go to the event in Ogden, Utah, on Thursday.

I'll report back when I get home next Monday.

Enjoy!   Look forward to hearing from you on your return.    I'll be following up some of the fare threads - including the one you asked "does no-one disagree?" quite soon ... I'm sure things won't move so quickly in a week that they're no longer relevant.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 16:19:12 »

I have vivid happy memories of my childhood visits to Dobwalls. Such a shame it's all gone. Also a shame that the many photos taken by grandparents of me at Dobwalls have been disposed of. 

We also have lovely memories from there with our children.
Must have taken some photo's (?) but if so, I've no idea where they might be; or even if we perhaps didn't take any pictures at the time.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 17:20:38 »

Quote from: grahame
Enjoy!   Look forward to hearing from you on your return.    I'll be following up some of the fare threads - including the one you asked "does no-one disagree?" quite soon ... I'm sure things won't move so quickly in a week that they're no longer relevant.

I'll look forward to it!

Unfortunately I will be maintaining"radio silence" whilst I'm out there because, unlike my home PC, my laptop doesn't log me on automatically and I've forgotten my password. And I don't want to change it for fear I'll forget it again  Grin
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 20:37:33 »

On their way from Cheyenne to Ogden

Point of Rocks earlier today (or yesterday!)

The engines are scheduled to be given a Rest Day tomorrow at Evanston, and do the remaining three or so hours to Ogden on Wednesday morning,

I should at least be in the right country to see them by then Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogXRHk8Hq-Y
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 21:51:04 »

I really, really like that whistle - suddenly I find the need to listen to a bit of Hank Williams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIo5x-q1GNo

Good to see that UP has no problems with over-enthusiastic railfans getting the wrong side of the fence... Smiley

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 21:01:15 »

Well I got there and back Smiley

Ogden Thursday 9th May:

Ogden UTA station with many men of a "certain age" and their womenfolk in many cases

844 waiting for the star of the show:

4014 arriving after being stabled half a mile away out of sight of the crowds

4014 and 844 meet as the gathered throng watches:
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 21:05:29 »

Great to see these pictures Robin thankyou for sharing with us.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 22:27:17 »

The Ogden Festival ended on Sunday, and the engines left for Cheyenne at 0800 MT (1500 BST) that morning, and I left Salt Lake City to come back to Blighty at exactly the same time.

On Saturday the place was heaving, and none of my photographs from then are worth posting because there were too many people around to get a clear view, and also strong sunshine coming from exactly the wrong direction.

4014 and 844 were both in light steam and apparently attached to the rake they took to Cheyenne. Footplate visits were available for 4014 and I stood in the queue for an hour, but by the time I got to the front they were only letting people look in so as to speed up the flow before they stopped it at 1500.

I enjoyed the experience but I very much doubt I'll ever go there again. Utah is full of people of a "certain religious persuasion" and it seems they talk about it all the time. Judging by the conversations on the trains going from Salt Lake City to Ogden and back, there must have been a couple of hundred choir practices going on somewhere on Friday night...

And besides, without the special steam visitors, Ogden is just another American town that you can "do" in a couple of hours, including the museums.  Here are a few more shots I took on Thursday and Friday:

UP CEO (Chief Executive Officer) giving his address, framed by the visitors:

4014 doing a shunting manoeuvre on Friday:

One from Friday morning - it was 844 that was in the better photographic location from where I was standing:

I didn't say anything to anybody about being there from the UK (United Kingdom) but it is a spot of luck that I didn't because I would have been severely upstaged!

During the opening ceremony the UP CEO said in his speech that someone from the UK had made a dying wish for his ashes to go into the firebox when they completed the restoration of 4014. He died last year. The UP CEO duly produced the box of ashes and in they went  Grin

The guy's widow was there - from Swindon...

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 06:20:23 »

I have a fond memory of my three day visit to Salt Lake City. On my first night in the hotel I replied to the waiters comment, "anything to drink sir", "yes, please", said I "what beers have you". "Beers", replied the waiter, "this is Utah sir".
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 06:26:15 »

The pictures are fascinating, thank you ... as are the descriptions of the local life and customs.  I know what you mean about the uncomfortableness of the different ways of life in the UK (United Kingdom) to parts of the USA. But we're likely to stray off topic ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 10:58:49 »

Straying a little further, just for a moment, I'm reminded of a Stephen Fry story: On a tour in Salt Lake City, his guide explained that in the afterlife all families are reunited and you are with your family forever. He put his hand up and asked 'What happens if you've been good?' ...and was politely told to leave.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: