16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 15:11:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[181] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[96] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[91] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[81] Death of another bus station?
[56] tram/rail meet up
[48] You see all sorts on the bus.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another newbie, in more ways than one!  (Read 11850 times)
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2008, 10:19:16 »

Hii, I'm a newbie, both in terms of this forum and my job. In middle age, I have just passed all the assessments and medical for a job as a conductor.  I now await a start date for my training.  Having been born in Reading and glued to the Bristol end of Platform 5 every Saturday as a kid, I guess that you could say I have come home at last, (job wise).

I am very much looking forward to my new career and having made a thorough nuisance of myself to any conductor who could spare the time to chat, I have to say that I am confident of a warm welcome.

I shall want to read a few more posts before adding my two pennorth, but no one loves a lurker Grin, so I thought it best to say hi immediately.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:34:41 by G.Uard » Logged
shadow

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 11:03:29 »

Welcome to the forums!
Good luck with the job as well!
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 20:19:14 »

A warm welcome to the board G.uard, looking forward to hearing your experiences as a conductor! Who knows, I might bump into you someday if you work from Westbury up to Bristol in the evenings Smiley
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 20:41:35 »

Welcome =]
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 21:09:31 »

Welcome to the forum G.uard and all the best in your new job.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:00:40 »

Thanks for the welcome guys. I am still pretty shell-shocked at getting in Shocked

For anyone else considering a career move in this direction, I will tell you what I can about the selection process.

Mine started with a 15 minute telephone interview, they were interested in customer facing roles I might have held in the past and also the application of rules and above all, the safety aspects of the job.

They will tell you at the end of this stage if you have passed on to stage 2

Next step is the arrival of an assessment practice pack and invite to an assessment centre.  The pack contains a travel warrant and a book of exercises similar to what you will be expected to complete at the centre.  Work through these as many times as you can, they are representative but IMO (in my opinion), slightly less difficult then the tests you will face on the day.  Typical tasks include basic maths, ticket checking, concentration tests and checks on comprehension of the rules.

Our assessment was held at an hotel in Bristol.  Everyone connected with FGW (First Great Western) was welcoming and I think, totally fair and professional. Just be aware that the tests are conducted under strict exam conditions. 

They stress that it is rare for candidates to complete all the questions so don't you stress on that score. Just do what you can as accurately and completely as possible.

After the tests it is lunch time. However, no one eats very much because the results are given straight after the meal.   Those who have not met the required standard then drop out, whilst the remaining candidates go for a tough but fair interview.
(This must be what  the X Factor is like Grin )

My advice here is to be as candid and accurate as possible. Best not to 'invent' things you think will please or interest the interviewer.

A few days later comes another phone call.  They asked me if I still wanted the job!!!!!! (Subject to references and a medical).

Last step is a medical and drug/alcohol screening, done under very secure conditions by BUPA. (Mine was in Bristol). BUPA will tell you  on the day if you  have passed the medical, but the results of the screening take a few days. 

Assuming all is OK...

Next stop... training.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:08:15 by G.Uard » Logged
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 10:29:11 »

Are you an RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) Brother yet ?

How are you finding staff at your depot? It must be pretty daunting to be 'new boy' around so many people

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 22:03:31 »

Are you an RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) Brother yet ?

How are you finding staff at your depot? It must be pretty daunting to be 'new boy' around so many people
I'll bet there's quite a few "new boy's/girls" at the moment? welcome aboard fellow employee!
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 15:52:47 »

I don't start training for a for a few more days yet, but I certainly do intend to join the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).  From the FGW (First Great Western) staff I have met, I have to say that I am looking forward to joining and becoming part of the rail community. I have had nothing but kindness and and interest from rail pros who know my situation.

As a pretty keen rail fan in years gone by, I am on nodding terms with much of the terminology, along with a fair notion of how things work.  I also have the interest in the railway to sustain me through training. However, I don't think that a rail fan automatically makes a good rail person. It's going to be a tough challenge, but I am determined to succeed.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 17:34:08 »

Well, G.Uard, from comments posted here, you do have a lot of support from existing staff - and indeed, I suspect, from many passengers, too - in becoming part of the rail community!

You are probably already aware of it - but just in case you're not, may I recommend an excellent blog, run by an existing member of FGW (First Great Western) staff?  See http://www.iworkforfgw.com/blog/

Good luck!   Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: