I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:35:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving up seat for an "old bird"  (Read 12415 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 09, 2019, 06:53:50 »

From the Daily Mail

Lulu, 70, asks why nobody gave 'this old bird' a seat on the Tube after she had to stand in a packed carriage on the way to perform at The O2

Thanks to her gruelling tour with Take That, she is still in fantastic shape.

And it’s lucky Lulu is still fit and well at 70, as she admitted that she was forced to stand in a packed tube carriage as no one offered her their seat.

The singer, who turns 71 in November, posted a photograph of herself taking the London underground on the way to perform at the O2 arena on Tuesday.

snip

Youthful: The ageless star has previously revealed the secret behind her youthful complexion, saying less is more when it comes to makeup

She also said it was important to have a proper skincare routine, ensuring you properly cleanse your face and exfoliate once a week.

Strikes me that Lulu has gone to a lot of trouble to look young ... then the article is having a grumble that no-one gave up a seat to her because she looks old. Bit of a dual standard?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 08:22:57 »

I have to confess I no longer give up my seat for any woman - old, young, pregnant or disabled. Having once received loud, public abuse for allegedly being condescending and a typical bloody man and all manner of completely inappropriate bollocks, when I in all innocence offered a woman a hand with her heavy luggage, I learned my lesson very well, thank-you. I now keep my nose down and ignore eye contact altogether.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 09:12:34 »

I thought an "old bird" was slang for a prisoner serving a long sentence?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 11:31:47 »

I have to confess I no longer give up my seat for any woman - old, young, pregnant or disabled. Having once received loud, public abuse for allegedly being condescending and a typical bloody man and all manner of completely inappropriate bollocks, when I in all innocence offered a woman a hand with her heavy luggage, I learned my lesson very well, thank-you. I now keep my nose down and ignore eye contact altogether.

It seems rather a shame to assume everyone will react like that based on one poor experience. Surely there have been other times when an offer of help or a seat has been gratefully accepted, or politely turned down?  I certainly see it a lot in London. I tend to offer a careful choice along the lines of - "Would you like some help or are you okay?"
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 12:07:59 »

Never lower your own standards simply because others have lowered theirs.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 12:11:51 »

I understand where Phil is coming from. Have also had abuse for trying to be helpful. Does tend to make you reluctant to offer in future.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 15:49:42 »

I understand where Phil is coming from. Have also had abuse for trying to be helpful. Does tend to make you reluctant to offer in future.

Coming at it from the opposite side of the fence, I'll admit to being somewhat shocked when someone offered me their seat.   I know I'm getting on a bit and wobbly ... but I was still rather shocked, and hope I wasn't offhand or rude in my "thank you but no thank you".   But it *is* good that people ask ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 17:17:05 »

Non-story really.

Makes you wanna shout.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 19:57:14 »

I doff my hat to militant feminists - it really annoys them !!!!!
Godfrey Tables

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 20:21:11 »

That's why I think TFLs (Transport for London) "Baby on board" badges are a great idea. I too have had abuse in the past so use caution, but if someone is wearing one of these badges you know you're safe to offer. I'll also offer a seat to those with walking aids because if they then got abusive at being offered they'd just end up making themselves look a bit silly.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 20:41:01 »

I don’t think my boss would like me giving my seat up on the bus  Grin  Roll Eyes

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 08:13:54 »

Remember catching an 'off-peak' bus from Teignmouth to Dawlish a few years back.
 Full with 'mature customers', I was quite happy to stand.
 The Driver casually remarked, ''You're the only one on the bus that's bought a ticket''.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 08:55:15 »

Remember catching an 'off-peak' bus from Teignmouth to Dawlish a few years back.
 Full with 'mature customers', I was quite happy to stand.
 The Driver casually remarked, ''You're the only one on the bus that's bought a ticket''.

Sounds about right.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 09:57:19 »

Would like to see grahame taking Isambird Kingdom Brunowl on a bus !
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 10:58:03 »

Would like to see grahame taking Isambird Kingdom Brunowl on a bus !

He has plans  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: