Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:57:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much taxi before it stops being a train journey?  (Read 1831 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2019, 17:40:59 »

On Bank Holiday Monday I went to Wells with some friends. We took the 376 bus from Bristol bus station, getting off near the radio mast on top of Penn Hill and walking a few miles through some beautiful bluebell woods. In the cathedral we were handed leaflets which included directions to Wells by various means of transport. Under train, it said the nearest station is Castle Cary, about 13 miles away, and "taxis are available at the station". Obviously it depends how far you've come, what you're doing, how much time you've got and in various ways who you are, but 13 miles by taxi seems to me to be stretching the limits of what is a train journey. I don't think it gave any information about buses from Castle Cary (Google says this is possible using the 667 then changing to the 376, taking about 90 minutes).

Beyond the specific case of Wells, how long a planned taxi ride would you consider compatible with a journey that's mostly by train?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 19:46:36 »

Probably more than I would like with the decline in (disappearance of) funding for "rural" bus services.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 17:11:29 »

Probably more than I would like with the decline in (disappearance of) funding for "rural" bus services.
True, though I guess the 376, which runs from Bristol to Street, still has funding. At any rate, a return to Wells costs £7, which struck me as good value for the 22 mile journey compared to £13 (I think) for a return from Bristol to the airport, which is only about 8 miles.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 18:43:59 »

True, though I guess the 376, which runs from Bristol to Street, still has funding. At any rate, a return to Wells costs £7, which struck me as good value for the 22 mile journey compared to £13 (I think) for a return from Bristol to the airport, which is only about 8 miles.

Only £6 when bought on the m-ticket app, the metrobus i-points or in advance on the TravelWest smartcard.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 13:31:17 »

I tend to think of a journey as being primarily by train if the train fare is significantly more than the taxi fare.

Example, London to Minehead. Train fare to Taunton £170. Taxi fare Taunton to Minehead £60. A train journey IMHO (in my humble opinion)

Example, Berrylands to Sutton. Train fare Berrylands to Surbiton £3. Taxi fare Surbiton to Sutton £40. A taxi journey IMHO.
The only reason for taking the train to Surbiton was a lack of reliable taxis in Berrylands It was quicker and simpler to take the train to Surbiton at which place there is a taxi rank.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 16:31:14 »

Example, London to Minehead. Train fare to Taunton £170. Taxi fare Taunton to Minehead £60. A train journey IMHO (in my humble opinion)

Example, Berrylands to Sutton. Train fare Berrylands to Surbiton £3. Taxi fare Surbiton to Sutton £40. A taxi journey IMHO.
The only reason for taking the train to Surbiton was a lack of reliable taxis in Berrylands It was quicker and simpler to take the train to Surbiton at which place there is a taxi rank.

I'm surprised at these journey choices, given you profess elsewhere to using the most environmentally friendly option elsewhere (regardless of any compromise on speed of journey).   

The bus to Minehead would undoubtedly have a lower carbon footprint than a taxi, though might take a smidge longer.  You can even buy a through ticket and as an example, the 1303 from Paddington has a 10 minute connection at Taunton and then a 1hr 15 bus journey.  Integrated transport indeed!

And the rail journey from Berrylands to Sutton takes just 40 minutes (probably as fast as your choice) and costs £3.90, (just 90p more than the fare to Surbiton!) though admittedly neither train probably has a buffet, let alone a restaurant car, so I'm guessing that rules it out as an option?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 16:50:44 »

The journey to Sutton was many years ago and was a one-off to visit a dying relative, cost and carbon emissions were secondary to getting there quickly. Public transport throughout was not an option as I knew not how to get from the station to the nursing home.

The bus from Taunton to Minehead is indeed much lower carbon and also a lot cheaper than a taxi. I use the bus where possible. ALL my recent journeys have been by bus.
However when I was working/living in London but visiting my Mother in Minehead, I often had to get a taxi as the last bus departed Taunton before the arrival of the train from London.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 16:57:11 »

Odd name, Berrylands. I know where it is because I once rode my bike through there so late on a Saturday night that some people would have considered it Sunday morning, having left Wimbledon or thereabouts that morning (if you don't understand why I did this, no explanation would help; if you do understand, it's already too late for you to be saved). I'd taken the train up to Clapham Junction on Friday and back on Sunday; but – the relevance, just about, is – I saw that as three journeys; up to Clapham Jnctn, ride, back from Clapham Jnctn. But then it was three separate days, just about. No taxis though.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 18:26:32 »

I tend to think of a journey as being primarily by train if the train fare is significantly more than the taxi fare.

National Rail gives a fare of £52.60 London Paddington to Minehead (including bus fare), can't see any fare at £170 apart from a 1st class anytime single @ £174.80?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 23:46:19 »

The fares that I quoted were only approximate, from memory, and yes it was a first class anytime single.
Cattle class no good as wanted to book in the Pullman.
Advance first class offered only a modest discount and is non refundable if some work related c0ck up stopped me getting the train.

jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 08:35:32 »

And the rail journey from Berrylands to Sutton takes just 40 minutes (probably as fast as your choice) and costs £3.90, (just 90p more than the fare to Surbiton!) though admittedly neither train probably has a buffet, let alone a restaurant car, so I'm guessing that rules it out as an option?

Could actually do it for £1.50 by walking over to the X26 bus.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: