Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:28:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "Travelling by train is up to 13 times more expensive than driving"  (Read 8946 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 11, 2019, 00:53:12 »

From the Daily Mail

Travelling by train is up to 13 times more expensive than driving - with a return from London to Manchester costing £327 - nearly TEN times the £33.97 fuel bill for 398 mile round trip

* Current rail prices described as 'absolute rip-off' when compared to car or plane
* 20 journeys around Britain at peak times show car as cheaper in every case
* Train journeys - when not delayed - are more expensive but are far quicker

Their highest ratio was Luton to Cambridge - £84.60 cost of peak return ticket v £6.40 cost of petrol - 13 times. Second was Bath to Southampton - £125.70 v £11.79 - 10.5 times.

They admit in the article

The analysis did not take into account the cost of parking and expenses such as tax and insurance, and are based on the car achieving its advertised fuel economy. However, the rail figures do not include the cost of getting to and from the train station. In addition, families would have to buy several tickets if travelling via train instead of by car.

I don't know where their £125.70 came from for Bath Spa to Southampton - brfares quotes me £195.00 anytime return "not via London" ...and just £35.80 via Salisbury which is the natural route to take virtually every time.  And with a senior card that's down to £23.65.   Peak fare - remember.  Mind you - replace petrol / diesel by electricity and you cut your fuel cost to £4.89 - https://www.nextgreencar.com/cost-calculators/nissan/leaf/ .

The £84.60 Luton to Cambridge is a dubious fare too ... 2 x anytime single.   They say "fares we were quoted" and I suggest that whoever asked for the quote carefully chose different days to get the highest cost they could for a journey which I will admit is really awkward by train.   Real "Great Way Round" stuff through London.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 01:06:33 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 07:25:03 »

Yes that Bath Spa to Southampton fare is nonsense. The anytime return inc peak hours is £35-80 and the off peak is £28-30. If returning another day, you can add on about £4 to the fare. There is no reason to use any other than the direct route, but even if you did, a return via Reading isn't anywhere near as expensive as the fare quoted by that article. I'm guessing that that fare is via London.

Many fares from Bath Spa do seem to be prohibitively expensive compared to some other places, but the Southampton fare is actually remarkably cheap compared to most of a similar distance, and that route does also have cheaper advance fares.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 07:27:41 »

And how many actually pay £327 to travel from London to Manchester?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 09:15:48 »

…...an impartial view from a consumer expert within the article?

Guy Anker, of consumer website Moneysavingexpert.com, said: ‘Rail prices can be an absolute rip-off compared to other modes of transport such as driving and even flying. Even if you use every trick in the book the chances are driving will be cheaper, especially if there are a few of you.’
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:35:12 »

I don’t think anyone would disagree with that statement.  The key word being ‘can’.

We all know there are horrendously extortionate fares out there, just as there are also some absolute bargains to be had.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:40:00 »

Picking Luton to Cambridge as a rail journey is a bit daft as it is quicker by a direct coach, although the cost of that is typically £15-£19.

A different comparison there might be with a cab fare which would be around £75.
Cava

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 11:01:46 »

Guy Anker, of consumer website Moneysavingexpert.com, said: ‘Rail prices can be an absolute rip-off compared to other modes of transport such as driving and even flying. Even if you use every trick in the book the chances are driving will be cheaper, especially if there are a few of you.’

There's a W missing from your italic section.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 12:48:21 »

Great to see children contributing to the Forum!
Cava

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 14:29:17 »

Great to see children contributing to the Forum!

It's nice to see my former headmaster on here too! Good to hear that you were cleared of all charges.

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 15:30:20 »

Typical hysterical load of Daily Wail garbage !

Ignoring the gross errors in the rail fares quoted, the Wail seems to have ignored/forgotten/missed/never thought of the most important point in their non-story............Your train fare gets you a ride (possibly even a seat !) to your destination.
The "cost" of the car journey is for x gallons/litres of petrol - no more, not even a can to put the petrol in, let alone a vehicle ! Do I just throw a match into the petrol and hope the resulting explosion is large enough to blow me to Southampton, Manchester or wherever ?
I have just put some figures into a "car costs calculator" on the "This is Money" website - it tells me that my Fiesta costs me 79p a mile to run !!  Makes the rail fares look a bargain.

PS: Do Ford do a Senior Road Card to get me 33% off the car costs ??
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 16:09:50 »

I drove to Weston super mare and back last Saturday with my children. My 2.0 diesel car averaged 67.2mpg on this round trip. I forget the distance but I’d guess around 200 miles round trip... but it’s not material such is the astronomical train price, 1 adult 2 children.
I could have got 20 gallons of diesel (or maybe more) for the train fare, enough to travel over 1000miles!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 16:34:13 »

Typical hysterical load of Daily Wail garbage !

Ignoring the gross errors in the rail fares quoted, the Wail seems to have ignored/forgotten/missed/never thought of the most important point in their non-story............Your train fare gets you a ride (possibly even a seat !) to your destination.
The "cost" of the car journey is for x gallons/litres of petrol - no more, not even a can to put the petrol in, let alone a vehicle ! Do I just throw a match into the petrol and hope the resulting explosion is large enough to blow me to Southampton, Manchester or wherever ?
I have just put some figures into a "car costs calculator" on the "This is Money" website - it tells me that my Fiesta costs me 79p a mile to run !!  Makes the rail fares look a bargain.

PS: Do Ford do a Senior Road Card to get me 33% off the car costs ??

......I think perhaps the Mail is not the only one being "hysterical"?  Wink

It's a valid point that rail travel can be extremely expensive, almost invariably more so than jumping in the car, particularly if there is a family or group involved, or if the travel is taking place on a "walk up" basis, rather than with the benefit of enough available planning time to obtain a "cheaper" advance ticket - the cost of driving doesn't alter whether you decide to go at one minute or one months notice, and 4 people in a car only cost fractionally more in terms of fuel consumption, whereas 4 train tickets? Considerably more, particularly if Groupsave isn't available/possible.

There is also the ridiculous amount of different fares, splitting, etc, some of which not available from all sources which further complicate the issue.

II hits the nail on the head (as so often) - train fares "can" be a ripoff (can is the pivotal word), some can be cheaper, most are somewhere in between, very few will prove cheaper than a car journey.

No matter how keen one is on trains, or reluctant to accept anything from the Daily Mail, it's important to keep perspective (…..and avoid hysteria!)  Smiley
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 17:29:40 »

I drove to Weston super mare and back last Saturday with my children.

They must have been very naughty then to deserve that.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 20:46:00 »

(…..and avoid hysteria!)  Smiley

No - don't avoid the hysteria - it's lovely this time of year !

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 06:41:30 »

I drove to Weston super mare and back last Saturday with my children.

They must have been very naughty then to deserve that.
Haha

Just left the car with a friend for flying from Bristol airport. Didn’t visit anywhere in the town.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: