Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:17:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: passengers self-evacuating at North Pole Junction, 15 July 2019  (Read 1002 times)
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2019, 22:53:36 »

I don't recall seeing mention of this incident before.

RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) have published a safety digest:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-digest-092019-north-pole-junction

At around 16:54 hrs, train 2L97, the 16:36 hrs London Overground service from Clapham Junction to Stratford, formed of a 5-car class 378 unit with between 500 and 600 passengers on board, stopped at North Pole Junction, a short distance beyond Shepherd’s Bush station. The train, which was operated by Arriva Rail London (ARL), became unable to draw power during the switch over from the third rail 750V DC (Direct Current) supply to the 25kV AC overhead supply, and consequently was unable to move.

At 17:22 hrs some systems on the train shut down and the first carriage lost all its lighting and forced ventilation. The lighting and ventilation on the rest of the train shut down at 18:06 hrs.

Around 17:53 hrs, 57 minutes after the train became stranded, passengers began to self-evacuate onto tracks where both the third rail and the overhead line traction supply current were still energised and trains were running. From social media messages, it is clear some passengers on the train were feeling the effects of heat, and some were becoming stressed and fearful for their own safety.

Due to difficulties in communicating with the correct signal box (the driver should have been speaking with Victoria signalling centre but was unable to contact it using the GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) radio system)*, and conflicting messages between ARL and Network Rail, there was a significant delay in agreeing a course of action

* Driver was actually connected to Wembley Mainline signal control centre

The cause of the extended delay was the absence of a decision as to the most appropriate course of action. No single party took the lead.

The driver of the train spent over 27 minutes of the first hour after the train came to a halt, on the phone or radio. In at least two conversations, both lengthy, the driver was speaking to the ARL control room on one device and to the signaller using another. The driver had to repeatedly remind each person he spoke to that the train was not connected to the traction power supply.

At 17:16 hrs the driver walked through the train to reset passenger emergency alarms and emergency door egress handles, to open windows throughout the train, to explain to the passengers what was happening, and to see if he could regain traction power from the cab at the back of the train. This took 11 minutes.

The driver was shouting from the window of his cab to passengers, who were leaning out of the doors, to ‘stay on the train’, at the same time as he was speaking with both ARL control and the signallers.

This incident demonstrates the importance of:

• good and accurate communications between staff on the ground, and railway infrastructure and train service controllers
  • effectively supporting the drivers of trains involved in stranding incidents, minimising the time needed to explain things to control centre staff, so that the driver can focus on their passengers and fault finding where practicable (see recommendation 1 of RAIB report 16/2018)
  • undertaking regular and accurate assessments of the situation to understand if it is escalating
  • ensuring that any limitations of equipment, such as GSM-R boundaries, are known and understood by operators with appropriate mitigations in place, or put in place as soon as possible once identified during an incident
  • understanding the risks of passengers remaining in stranded trains for prolonged periods in hot weather without adequate facilities or ventilation
  • regularly updating passengers on a developing situation

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:24:56 »

These trains don't have toilets I believe - and thus the maximum time that should be allowed before allowing evacuation has to be shorter than for those trains with toilet facilities.

I dson't believe this factor isa taken into account in these situations.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 13:02:41 »

I was stuck on a Central Line tube train between stations one hot August day, many years ago.  The train was well filled, but not, thank God, rammed.  I doubt that we were stuck for any more than 20 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity.  The sense of panic that set in among many of the passengers was hard to contend with.  You do really wonder if there's going to be enough air, and if you're ever going to be rescued.  When we got to Tottenham Court Road, several passengers had to be assisted - London Ambulance people were there, at the ready.

Since that day I've avoided the tube on the occasions when I'm in London at busy times, and I'm aware of sensations of claustrophobia in any crowded situation.

I do have considerable sympathy with the passengers on this stranded train.  It doesn't matter to the passengers which organisation was responsible for sorting this failure out for them, they just needed someone to grasp what was going on, very quickly, and to come-up with an appropriate and fast remedy.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 01:02:07 »

Another case of a stranded train and no effective action being taken to facilitate prompt rescue.
"keep them on the train no matter what" Some escapees were actually ordered back onto the train.

These incidents continue to occur, despite the reviews, studies, and recommendations after each such stranding. I expect more such events for two reasons.
Firstly new trains are generally worse than old in terms of on board conditions (no toilets, no or very limited opening windows, minimal seating)
Secondly new trains are hugely complex with far more features to break or trip and cause the stranding. (consider for example all the new trains that got stuck after a drop in national grid frequency, older trains would not even have known about the frequency)

I repeat my earlier statement that all new electric trains should have either a small diesel engine or a battery pack sufficient to run at very much reduced speed for at least 20 miles, or to run lighting, ventilation and other crucial services for several hours.

I also believe that all new trains must have toilets, for situations like this.

Meanwhile, the stranding of a busy train with poor on board conditions needs to be regarded as an EMERGENCY and not just as another delay.
Evacuation should be considered after 30 minutes, and be mandatory after 60 minutes in the case of poor conditions. Longer times are acceptable if toilets, seats for all, lighting, and ventilation are available.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: