Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:06:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate Change Emergency - Implications for UK Transport Strategy  (Read 22015 times)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2019, 10:15:20 »

In view of the considerable concerns WRT (with regard to ) carbon emissions from air travel, it has been suggested that taking holidays in the UK (United Kingdom) should be encouraged as an alternative to flying overseas.

Perhaps a start could be made by offering a reliable service of full length trains to West country holiday destinations, EVEN DURING HOT WEATHER when trips to the seaside are particular popular.
Complete with a buffet. Oh sorry, no one wants that.  Complete with a trolley that sells water (or will they top up your own water bottle?)

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2019, 10:37:56 »

It's not inconceivable for a trolley (or buffet) to include a barrel of drinking water with a tap for refilling bottles or cups. Whether a small charge would be appropriate for this (because water is not free and the trolley or buffet is a commercial service) is probably a matter for the trolley/buffet operator (but doubtless we can air our opinions here too).

I find cold black tea refreshing on really hot days but I don't think that's a popular beverage so wouldn't expect it to be served on a train!  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2019, 17:32:13 »

Drinking water from a water tap is so cheap as to be virtually free, and should not IMHO (in my humble opinion) be charged for.
Metered mains water prices vary a fair bit but are generally less than £5 a cubic meter including sewage disposal.
So a small fraction of a penny to fill a water bottle.

Water on trains is a lot more expensive due to the labour and other costs in handling it and therefore cant realistically be given away.

What could, and should IMO (in my opinion) be done is to provide free drinking water fountains and water taps at stations.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2019, 18:16:59 »

Coincidentally,* I went to the tailor's today to pick up some garments that had been altered/mended. I didn't go by train(!), I went on my bike, but the hot weather encouraged me to ride a little bit too hard and I was coughing when I got there - frog in my throat (odd expression!). Having paid and collected, I asked if I could possibly get a glass of water - and I really only wanted a glass of water to clear my throat, but the tailor gave me a small bottle of water from his fridge. But hey, I'd already paid for his work, I guess that covered the cost of a small bottle of no-brand water!

*But perhaps not really that relevantly.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2019, 18:45:49 »

Coincidentally, I went to the tailor's today to pick up some garments that had been altered/mended. ... I asked if I could possibly get a glass of water - and I really only wanted a glass of water to clear my throat, but the tailor gave me a small bottle of water from his fridge. But hey, I'd already paid for his work, I guess that covered the cost of a small bottle of no-brand water!

For the Melksham Carnival - on a really hot Saturday 4 weeks ago - we took a very large plastic box filled with ice, several gallon bottles of Spar water from the Spar on Spa Road embedded in it, and paper cups.  Only sensible in this weather for managers / organisers / suppliers to think ahead for staff, customers, and especially volunteers.   Volunteers voted with their feet mouths - a very high proportion of the water drunk.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2019, 16:46:48 »

More plastic bottle news: on closer inspection, the bottle the tailor gave me is from Costco. Comparing it with a bottle of Evian I had at home (empty, relic of an ill-prepared wander in Sea Mills), there is a curious legend on the Evian: "Package not designed for long distance transportation outside Europe." Why on earth not? I mean, it must get transported long distances from the French spring to its retail outlets. Presumably the "outside Europe" is some sort of legal distinction but what? why? Is it that legal advice or requirements inside Europe say it should be transportable or that outside Europe some other hazard has been identified (presumably but not necessarily in the USA)? Or... I don't know. Any ideas?

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2019, 17:36:40 »

Off topic really but please forgive me for this ;-

Tour de France halted today through SNOW and snowploughs and bulldozers were unable to clear the route in time.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2019, 21:13:31 »

It's not inconceivable for a trolley (or buffet) to include a barrel of drinking water with a tap for refilling bottles or cups. Whether a small charge would be appropriate for this (because water is not free and the trolley or buffet is a commercial service) is probably a matter for the trolley/buffet operator (but doubtless we can air our opinions here too).

I find cold black tea refreshing on really hot days but I don't think that's a popular beverage so wouldn't expect it to be served on a train!  Cheesy

I would favour cold black beer, and would expect to find it served on a train. Guinness is the brand leader, other dark beers are available, any reasonable quality brand would be fine.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2019, 23:54:58 »

I am curently enjoying the very last 2 pints of Ringwood's Porter, (dark beer) it was transported from place of brewing to home by my own two legs, with the help of a biccycle over 8 miles.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2019, 20:28:32 »

BRISTOL AIRPORT EXPANSION SPLITS COUNCIL LEADERS

A debate on climate change has exposed divisions between the leaders of three councils over Bristol Airport’s proposed expansion.

Both Bristol City Council and South Gloucestershire Council support the plans to increase the number of passengers by a fifth to 12 million a year by 2025.

But Bath & North East Somerset Council has lodged a formal objection.

The difference in opinion reared its head at the West of England Combined Authority (Weca) committee, which is made up of Bristol mayor Marvin Rees, South Gloucestershire Council leader Toby Savage and B&NES Council leader Dine Romero, along with metro mayor Tim Bowles.

Weca itself has also backed the expansion in its consultation response to the plans lodged with North Somerset Council, which is not part of the regional authority.

(continues...)

Source: Bristol 247

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2019, 22:27:50 »

In view of the considerable concerns WRT (with regard to ) carbon emissions from air travel, it has been suggested that taking holidays in the UK (United Kingdom) should be encouraged as an alternative to flying overseas.

It would be improper for me to advertise my beautiful holiday cottage in Devon  here, even with a substantial discout for forum members. Besides, I'm thinking of putting the rents up to take advantage of the weak pound, and the affordability for your average European citizen. I doubt I will be alone.

Swings and roundabouts.

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2019, 09:48:25 »

BRISTOL AIRPORT EXPANSION SPLITS COUNCIL LEADERS

A debate on climate change has exposed divisions between the leaders of three councils over Bristol Airport’s proposed expansion.

Both Bristol City Council and South Gloucestershire Council support the plans to increase the number of passengers by a fifth to 12 million a year by 2025.

But Bath & North East Somerset Council has lodged a formal objection.

The difference in opinion reared its head at the West of England Combined Authority (Weca) committee, which is made up of Bristol mayor Marvin Rees, South Gloucestershire Council leader Toby Savage and B&NES Council leader Dine Romero, along with metro mayor Tim Bowles.

Weca itself has also backed the expansion in its consultation response to the plans lodged with North Somerset Council, which is not part of the regional authority.

(continues...)

Source: Bristol 247

Well of course if Bristol City Council hadn't sold their stake in the airport, they'd now have a nice little earner to soften the blow (as Manchester, Birmingham and various other local authorities do). Perhaps one of our readers might be able to explain how that happened? Google isn't very informative.

The reality is that, for all the green rhetoric, Bristol is very unlikely to block expansion - there are too many jobs at stake, particularly in south Bristol, which is already fairly economically deprived, but also in tourism and the wider economy. The arena debacle hasn't done Marv many favours, add blocking an airport extension (which would probably be overruled by Westminster anyway), and that would be him properly done for.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2019, 11:49:36 »

Far from Bristol blocking expansion, I thought Bristol, along with South Glos and WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) overall, was in favour of it. It's only North Somerset against it, and they're the ones who get to take the decision. I'm pretty sure they'll go along with their neighbours' wishes. We'll see.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2019, 14:01:12 »

I've seen photos today (taken yesterday I think) of Extinction Rebellion protesters at the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) with stickers saying "HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) is our climate emergency". Which is rather ambiguous; does it mean building it contributes to the emergency, perhaps by the carbon emissions from construction work and high speed transport, or that not building it contributes to the emergency, presumably by not shifting transport from road to rail? It seems to be the former, but due to destruction of woodland rather than emissions per se, judging by this at least: http://stophs2.org/tag/extinction-rebellion

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2019, 18:53:57 »

Having seen the (largely non biodegradable) mess they left behind in Trafalgar Square and elsewhere, they may care to look a little closer to home.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: