Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here].
Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
article index - [here]
 19/06/2019 - TransWilts Design entries end
22/06/2019 - Steam on the District
24/06/2019 - National Rail Safety Week
25/06/2019 - First Group Shareholder mtg
26/06/2019 - TransWilts Stakeholder Conf.
29/06/2019 - Melksham Carnival
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail news GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
June 17, 2019, 10:18:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[81] Arriva up for sale
[68] Does anyone know of a bus station that they actually like?
[65] What would YOU put into railway / travel room 101??
[55] Quick Reply - where's it gone?
[41] Where were Finn and I today, 17th June 2019
[32] Where to change? Too much choice!
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: East Midlands, South Eastern & West Coast Franchise Updates April 2019  (Read 1693 times)
Cava

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2019, 09:31:16 am »

I think I understand why taking on extra pension responsibility would be bad news for train operators like Stagecoach, but I am struggling to understand why it would be bad news for us, the passengers and taxpayers.

Could someone possibly explain the ins and outs of that for me - Sorry!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2019, 10:00:04 am »

Site contains correspondence ...

If you read those letters, it's hard to understand the argument - they don't seem to be talking about the same ITT. But I think it's something like this:

• TOCs have always had to bear their share of any extra funding of their bit of the rail pension scheme (RPS), when a deficit needed repair.
  • The RPS is an unusual scheme, in that all funding - including deficit repair - and any excess to be repaid is split 60/40 with the employees (via their unions). In most sponsored schemes the company bears the whole liability for adequate funding, which is why the pension deficit/surplus appears in their balance sheet.
  • In a "normal" scheme, the deficit repair payments can be much larger than the contributions based on salaries paid. There isn't any way for such one-off payments to happen in the RPS. I imagine that the employees' side could never come up with a large "bung" to the RPS, and TOCs have come to rely on their maximum contribution being effectively capped by that.
  • What's changed is that the pensions regulator (TPR) is now telling schemes and sponsors to repair deficits faster - in the past this was often done one a 20-year or longer timescale. They want this done to the RPS too, though note that the size of its deficit is not public information.
  • There are discussions still going on involving TPR, RPS trustees, unions, TOCs (via RDG), and maybe DfT, about faster deficit repair than the current rules of RPS allow for. That might imply new rules (though that's a separate argument).
  • So I can only infer that TOCs are being asked to commit to paying whatever comes out of this negotiation, which is (as Stagecoach are saying) not within their control. It wouldn't be a real negotiation if it was, would it? (Though sponsoring companies do, in the end, generally get their way whatever a scheme's trustees say.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:53:28 am by stuving » Logged
Cava

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2019, 10:52:10 am »

Thanks for doing that stuving, that's great. I hadn't considered a couple of points in there, and it is a lot clearer for me now.

So does that mean bidding for franchises on these terms is like rolling the dice, with operators like Abellio willing to gamble on the outcome of negotiations that could take years, and operators like Stagecoach not willing to risk it?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2019, 08:04:31 pm »

Now Arriva are joining Stagecoach in taking the DfT to court.

From The Guardian

Chris Grayling’s embattled transport ministry faces a second legal challenge over the way the East Midlands rail franchise was awarded, from Arriva Rail, owned by Germany’s state-backed Deutsche Bahn.

Who pays for these legal challenges?

Coffee Shop Admin, Vice Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest and of RailFuture
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2019, 08:35:19 pm »

Who pays for these legal challenges?

Depends who wins!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: