Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:53:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where was bignosemac today, 15th May 2019  (Read 4628 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 10:17:14 »

[snip]
Paging grahame for a more technical explanation.

Looking at the image info (in Firefox) shows that it is downloaded full size:
Type:           WEBP Image
Size:            5,810.95 KB (5,950,416 bytes)
Dimensions:   5,120px × 2,368px (scaled to 1,024px × 474px)

6 MB in a concentrated lump in a web page is going to be noticeable on a VSDL line that's now only "fast", though from memory it was slower than that when first seen. As to why it's a .jpg file but identified as a WEBP image ... that needs an even more technical explanation!

I think Stuving has provided the technical stuff there, BigNoseMac and SandTEngineer

Basically, they're held as blooming big images on the web server BigNoseMac uses and the whole blooming big image is sent out to your browser, which then reduces them for screen display.  And as it's a reduction of 5 x in each dimension (X and Y) it means that there's 5 x 5 = 25 times the data actually needed for the display coming down the line.

So it works out (with image resized at browser) something like ...
2G - don't even try it!
3G - typical excellent case - 1 Mbyte / second = 6 seconds per image; 20 seconds for this thread
4G - typical excellent case - 7.5 Mbytes / second = 0.9 seconds per image; 4 seconds for this thread

Image resized on server to 1k x 474 pixels would cut the download time:
2G - don't even try it!
3G - typical excellent case - 1 Mbyte / second ... 1 second for this thread
4G - typical excellent case - 7.5 Mbytes / second ... 0.2 of a second for this thread

Also bear in mind that if you have a data limit / pay per gigabyte, BigNoseMac's posts are going to be more expensive to view  Sad  Shocked

I am ... hopeful ... we can add image hosting and resolution changing at the server when we update the software; I'm very familiar with the technology in PHP but need the proverbial month of Sundays of spare time if I were to do it in that time, and it's not 'worth' doing on the old software.  If we do it, you WILL loose the ability to save BNM's pictures and get high quality prints off them.  At 5k pixels, an A4 print would give you over 400 dpi (dots per inch) whereas the 1k reduced image would only be around 75 dpi - in effect preview rather than final quality mode.   Perhaps an advantage to BMN who could then sell you any pictures you wanted in high quality Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 17:16:07 »

Thanks for all the replies and calculations. Must be my Internet connection then, as its the same on all the devices we use here.  Well, I suppose that's what you get for living on the edge of Dartmoor Roll Eyes
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 18:34:18 »

Also bear in mind that if you have a data limit / pay per gigabyte, BigNoseMac's posts are going to be more expensive to view  Sad  Shocked

Oh dear, maybe I should be grateful that BigNoseMac seems to be alone in sharing his days out photos on such a regular basis. (Actually I am anyway, as I'm not sure that the Forum would be enhanced if lots of members were constantly posting what they've been up to on their jollys.  I do appreciate that is a personal opinion and probably not shared by many though before anyone shouts me down.)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 19:00:50 »

Oh dear, maybe I should be grateful that BigNoseMac seems to be alone in sharing his days out photos on such a regular basis. (Actually I am anyway, as I'm not sure that the Forum would be enhanced if lots of members were constantly posting what they've been up to on their jollys.  I do appreciate that is a personal opinion and probably not shared by many though before anyone shouts me down.)

I certainly shan't shout you down for voicing a valid opinion, although I enjoy seeing BNM's - and others - pictures of railways infrastructure past and present, and have even joined in the game myself. What jewels we may miss, but for this amusing diversion!

That said, I keep mobile data switched off, just in case.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 19:15:23 »

Hmmm .. I felt I shared a lot of photos from when I'm out and about!   But to give you an idea, pictures such as this one here, from today have been resized and compressed from 2.5 Mbytes to 82 Kbytes before uploading to the server - so they're 30 times less traffic than if I simply uploaded them. And I routinely reduce (and check) the size as I upload.

There's an enormous temptation when posting / putting anything up on the web for the webmaster / page author to design it so it looks superb and loads well on his/her system. At a professional designer level, that has often lead to sites that are great on big screens and with fast connections, but have fallen over when reduced to a smaller device and slower connection.  With the Coffee Shop, which the team has worked on over the years from distinctly poor connection on quite small devices, we have kept page furniture down to a small size, and occasionally asked people to resize images (especially avatars!) which are slowing the site down.     As we move to new software (Lisa and I were looking at various look-and-feels today), we have to keep an eye on this as the modern look and feels tend to be slightly bulkier.   But it will give us much better coverage on mobile devices.

I can sense a thread split coming up here as we're a long way from where BNM was on Wednesday!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 00:46:07 »

Bah, humbug.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 06:02:30 »

For the absence of doubt, "where was I today", "where was this taken" and "my trip log" type posts are very popular in terms of follow up volumes and numbers of likes. 

The segregation of the forum into separate areas and boards helps members be selective in what they read and would allow for an increase in the number of such posts within our data structure and without being overbearing to the more serious or tuned-view members.  The segregation also allows the forum to cover heritage topics, other modes of transport, nearby lines, etc, without people having to spend too much time wading through those associated topics if they're not interested;  bear in mind the for some, such topic are of little interest but for others that are key interests or learning points.  I think the balance isn't far off being right; keeping an eye on that, always, as we move forward.

An especial "thank you" to contributor who instigate this type of thread; I know that I (for one) often read them with interest but leave little comment / make little remark.  But I do learn, I do grab facts from them, and so do many other if you look at the "number of reads" stats that come up.  And if you bear in mind that this statistic is NOT incremented when a post comes up in "recent posts" ... so it's very much an underestimate!

There is a potential serious issue with image count and size (total data volume) - but that is potential and for most of our users is currently a roof a very long way above their heads.    If every poster added images resized at the browser, it would need looking at straight away ... but we all act and do things differently and at present it's just a note / explanation job.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: