I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:15 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:26:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Freightliner Depot Closure  (Read 5378 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2019, 07:56:33 »

This was posted on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum: Bristol FLT is to close with the last train departing on 30 July 2019 following the loss of two signficant contracts. Remaining work is to be transferred to Wentloog.

So much then for reducing Bristol road traffic congestion and pollution...... Roll Eyes
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:48:32 »

I wonder what this means for it's future? Does closure mean for ever or is it just being mothballed? I also suppose it's future depends on who owns the site.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 10:06:35 »

Bit of a minnow, the Bristol terminal. I presume these capacities are measured in TEU (which I now know to be 'Twenty-Foot Equivalent Units'):

TerminalLocationTotal Capacity
FreightlinerCoatbridge2520
FreightlinerLeeds1100
FreightlinerDoncaster800
FreightlinerManchester1500
FreightlinerGarston (Liverpool)1975
FreightlinerBirmingham1850
FreightlinerBristol393
PentalverSouthampton8500
PentalverLondon Gateway3700
PentalverFelixstowe8250

I agree that closing it doesn't on the face of it seem to support a green agenda, though having once spent an hour in the kitchen at a party talking to a logistics manager I recognise that there is more to this kind of thing than is dreamt of in my philosophy...

Remaining work is to be transferred to Wentloog.

For some reason Cardiff (Wentloog) doesn't appear on the list I found, but as far as I can see it has a capacity of 1000-3000 TEU.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:22:41 »

Quote from: SandTEngineer
This was posted on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum: Bristol FLT is to close with the last train departing on 30 July 2019 following the loss of two significant contracts. Remaining work is to be transferred to Wentloog.

So much then for reducing Bristol road traffic congestion and pollution...... Roll Eyes

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this.

If there is no, or insufficient, traffic moving through the depot then there is precious little point in keeping it open - it was that sort of malarkey that led to the Beeching Report 56 years ago... Wink

Furthermore, I am not sure what if any impact this will have on road traffic congestion and pollution within Bristol. Containers taken to and from the client already come by road and will continue to do so; only the mature of the journey will change (eg something coming in from Avonmouth now would come on a wagon down the Portway, and in future the same wagon will head off along the M5 and M4).

And then the whole thing moves onto the wider issue of freight transportation in general. Those at the "greener" end of the political spectrum like to promote moving freight by rail to reduce congestion and pollution, but of course when you take into account what happens in the real world as described in the above paragraph, you begin to see that the affect is only likely to be on the motorway and trunk road network, and not on built-up areas at all.

All that said, the UK (United Kingdom)'s record on moving freight by rail is abysmal. When I was talking to a railway employee in Utah a fortnight ago he told me that about 40% of freight in America is moved by rail. I've forgotten the exact figure for the UK but I am guessing it is somewhere around 10%. Why is this? Are most journeys too short to make  rail freight viable? Are the railways charging too much for the service? Are they turning potentially good traffic away?
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 16:44:38 »

The WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) thread suggested that the depot would be taken over by a roadstone business, whether or not the rail connection will still be used I don't know.

As for the environmental impact, well it rather depends on where the containers were coming from/going to. If it was Avonmouth or Portbury docks, then it will be better for Bristol's air quality that they are not being driven through the city.

I suspect that a far better location for a container terminal for the region would be next to the motorway at Avonmouth, but whether there's enough traffic to justify building and operating one is another question. Wasn't the Port of Bristol talking about building a large maritime container terminal?

As for rail freight in the UK (United Kingdom), the issue is that most freight travels relatively small distances and few premises are rail connected, so it's simply not competitive on time or cost grounds, apart from bulky commodities like cars, steel or stone, containers from ports to distribution hubs, and the odd piggyback flow like Midlands to Scotland.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 20:53:16 »

I suspect that a far better location for a container terminal for the region would be next to the motorway at Avonmouth, but whether there's enough traffic to justify building and operating one is another question. Wasn't the Port of Bristol talking about building a large maritime container terminal?
Not only that, but its rail connections are one of its claimed advantages.
Bristol is the only deep sea port in the UK (United Kingdom) with direct motorway and rail from the port to all points of the compass.
https://www.bristolport.co.uk/trades/containers/deep-sea-container-terminal

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:40:53 »

This was posted on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum: Bristol FLT is to close with the last train departing on 30 July 2019 following the loss of two signficant contracts. Remaining work is to be transferred to Wentloog.

Is this the complex just along from Parson Street station on the way out of Bristol?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:53:26 »

Yes - here: https://goo.gl/maps/izU5j18LwpGvJZmR9

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 16:52:17 »

Is this the complex just along from Parson Street station on the way out of Bristol?

Complex is a little OTT (Open Train Times website) for a loop siding, some piled containers and a couple of mobile container cranes.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: