Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:50:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Could you give up flying? Meet the no-plane pioneers  (Read 43740 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 22, 2019, 07:55:14 »

From The Guardian

Growing numbers of travellers are abandoning air travel to help save the planet – even if it means spending 14 days on a train.

It has taken Roger Tyers four days to reach Moscow by train from Kiev. His destination is Beijing: a trip that will take 14 days, with a couple of overnight stops along the way. Tyers, an environmental sociologist at the University of Southampton, is on his way to China to research attitudes to the environment, the climate emergency and personal responsibility. “Given that, I thought it would be somewhat hypocritical of me to fly,” he says over Skype from his hostel room.

It has been months in the planning – he had to convince his bosses to give him a month off to travel to and from China. Has it been a pain? “It definitely has. It’s a matter of getting your train schedule in line with your visa requirements. I didn’t realise I needed a visa to travel through Mongolia, even though I’m not stopping there. There have been moments when I’ve been close to giving up and either cancelling the whole trip or just booking a flight.” But he is glad he has stuck with it, he says. “I have to prove it is possible.”

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 14:28:06 »

I bet Emma Thompson reads the Gruniad.................... Grin Grin
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 15:56:59 »

In terms of taking personal responsibility for minimising our impact on the planet, which we should all be doing, reducing or eliminating the numbers of flights taken by those who fly frequently should be high on anyone's list of actions. I do get slightly irked by articles that tell me that a new movement has started, when there have been movements to achieve this for at least the last two decades, and people like me signed up over 20 years ago and haven't flown since. But it is encouraging to see it happening again, and perhaps this time more people will take it seriously and consider their own actions and responsibilities.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 18:06:36 »

I bet Emma Thompson reads the Gruniad.................... Grin Grin

No - she's too busy planting trees  Roll Eyes
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:53:39 »

I only wish not flying was a realistic option: apart from being environmentally unfriendly, it's a thoroughly uncivilized way to travel. But I can only imagine my boss's reaction if I were to tell him that my next trip to Beijing was going to take 14 days each way.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 11:27:25 »

I only wish not flying was a realistic option: apart from being environmentally unfriendly, it's a thoroughly uncivilized way to travel. But I can only imagine my boss's reaction if I were to tell him that my next trip to Beijing was going to take 14 days each way.

And then there'd be the hassle of Belarussian and Russian visas. Going via Turkey, Iran, and the Stans would not improve anything, and gets uncomfortably close to areas the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against travelling to.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 21:59:39 by VickiS » Logged

welshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 13:49:21 »

My last flight was in 1969 - on a Cambrian Airways Vickers Viscount. 
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 13:59:09 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQ7aMHsRGs

"Instead of spending days on end lying about in a sort of floating Selfridges..." Grin

If God had intended us to fly, he wouldn't have given us the railways.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 14:15:57 »

My last flight was nearly 20 years ago. I do not intend to fly again.
I would like to see aviation fuel taxed to the same extent as road fuel.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 14:20:26 »

I've tried to work out seeing my son in Canada from here in the UK (United Kingdom).  One day in the UK to port, fourteen days minimum each way by ship (if you can find one thats not a cruise), one day by rail to his home.  And then there is the journey back again...... Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 14:52:59 »

I've tried to work out seeing my son in Canada from here in the UK (United Kingdom).  One day in the UK to port, fourteen days minimum each way by ship (if you can find one thats not a cruise), one day by rail to his home.  And then there is the journey back again...... Roll Eyes

I don't know what the relative none-green value per passenger of a shortish haul flight (say Bristol to Edinburgh) is compared to a long haul (say Gatwick to Toronto), nor what the breakdown of flights made is by distance.   My (personal) approach is to reduce where I can practically any flying - which does sometimes mean taking a longer or medium distance journey in the air.   I can work at a laptop on a train and - in my personal case of the interest I have in rail future be learning too, and I find that much easier and less stressful.  But sometimes, time can be of the essence.

We're spending 3 days with my (step)son in New York later this year.  NOT flying, but it puts us out of ordinary circulation for a number of weeks;  it doesn't mean I'll be offline, but it does mean that board and lodgings along the way will be at ship rather than home prices, and clearly comes in more expensive than flying.   I can't remember my last internal flight in the UK even though I've done a lot of Scotland trips;  in Europe, a rail journey to Aarlborg was complemented by a flight back because of time constraints, and a trip to Munich some 30 months ago was a time-saver by air because of a family bereavement and I could not be away too long but had commitments. Otherwise, rail to Spain, rail to Germany, rail to Switzerland.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 15:06:15 »

I would like to see aviation fuel taxed to the same extent as road fuel.
Air Passenger Duty does the same thing but in a different way. It also means that airlines aren't tempted (where it would be possible) to refuel for both journeys overseas where the fuel tax would be lower.

Looking at a British Airways 777(BA» (British Airways - about) 777), Air Passenger Duty (APD (Air Passenger Duty)) for a typical flight would be £30,000.  I don't know how that would compare with your wish but I suspect it's not far off.

Of course saving the planet is more than just flying less. For example, food miles are important too, that bottle of port shipped from Spain will be more damaging than a nice bottle of English sparkling water.  And the greenhouse gases belched by the cow that makes up a nice steak are very damaging too.  

Edit:VickiS - Clarifying abbreviations and Acronyms
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 22:08:38 by VickiS » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 15:55:58 »

Port from SPAIN ! oh no sir, that wont do at all. Port comes from Portugal. It is imported by rail or ship, not by air and therefore should have a modest carbon footprint.
I avoid regular consumption of bottled water due to the cost and environmental harm resulting therefrom. Tap water is greener and cheaper.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 16:38:35 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 17:20:16 »

………..did the new planes not have a satisfactory buffet?  Wink
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 17:34:28 »

………..did the new planes not have a satisfactory buffet?  Wink
Only a trolley  Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: