Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:34:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could you give up flying? Meet the no-plane pioneers  (Read 43759 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2022, 16:54:40 »

I suppose it would be beautiful and exciting to someone who is wondering what to do with a stockpile of depleted uranium. As the method seems to involve storing the hydrogen as uranium hydride, UH3, I its storage density would be good volumetrically, but not by mass (storing a tonne of hydrogen would take 79 tonnes of uranium). That suggests static storage uses only.

I don't think there is a shortage of things to do with depleted uranium. It is used as balancing ballast in aircraft, screening in medical imaging machinery, keels on sailing boats, and anything else where something more than 50% heavier than lead would come in handy. Its use in munitions proved controversial. While being shot dead by a DU bullet doesn't make things any worse for you, some of the bigger munitions can pretty much vaporise, then leave a poisonous dust on the battlefield. It isn't particularly radioactive, but ingesting uranium isn't a good idea - it is rather poisonous. I think you would be right about it being useful only for static storage, it would be a lot to carry around in a mobile phone. Expect protests from anyone near wherever it may be used, for no scientifically valid reason.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2023, 16:46:18 »

There was an interesting segment during the World Athletics coverage on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) yesterday about the sustainability measures taken by the organisers.  It included a correspondent making the journey via rail from St.Pancras to Budapest to point out the benefits (and negatives) compared with flying.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2023, 03:03:35 »

Digressing slightly, one of my pet niggles is the number of posh hotel rooms that have their mini-bars running all the time, when I expect the majority of people don't use them, so it is mostly wasted energy.  Add that up all over the world, and I expect it is quite a lot.

Agree, and the waste may be even worse than at first appears.
The fridges used in hotel rooms are often of the absorption type rather than the more efficient compressor type. This being due to least first cost and sometimes alleged silent operation.
The small mini-bar fridge in an hotel room may well be using more electricity than a modern full sized fridge in your home.
If the hotel is air conditioned, then EVEN MORE electricity will be used by the air conditioning as it works harder to remove the heat from the fridges.

The trouble is that the cost per room, per day is not that great and most hotel managers cant comprehend the wider or long term picture.

Average loading of an hotel mini-bar-----------------125 watts.
Consumption per 24 hour day------------------------- 3Kwh.
Cost per day at typical UK (United Kingdom) electricity price----------- About 50 pence.

To me, that is approaching £200 a year, per room. A significant sum.
Many thousands of pounds a year for a medium size hotel.
To the average hotel manager it is "a few pence a day" and not worth worrying about.

Since I wrote the above, we have a new war and consequent near trebling of electricity prices.
A typical hotel mini bar now costs about £500 a year for electricity, double that in an air conditioned room.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2023, 17:45:50 »

and I still say,

if all the passengers said we ain't going on that plane to Australia from the U.K.

British airways would just stay here then(in the U.K.) we will just fly empty
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2023, 05:39:10 »

and I still say,

if all the passengers said we ain't going on that plane to Australia from the U.K.

Yes, but if enough people decide not to fly, the airline industry will put on smaller planes or fewer flights. They wont carry on flying empty or near empty planes for long.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2023, 08:01:02 »

and I still say,

Yes, but if enough people decide not to fly, the airline industry will put on smaller planes or fewer flights. They wont carry on flying empty or near empty planes for long.

A relatable and useful warning for the rail industry.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2023, 15:46:09 »

Correct, although it doesn't seem to be what is actually happening.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  

Jump to: