Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:34:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's my train/carriage ? Wonder no longer..check scrolling displays  (Read 6687 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2019, 07:57:57 »

Went to Reading on Monday and Exmouth on Friday from Temple Meads.

I notice that platforms are zoned numerically for the IETs (Intercity Express Train) at Temple Meads, Bath and Reading and perhaps other stations to show where carriages stop.
Rather confusing in that the carriages are labelled alphabetically and then not necessarily in sequence. I had to watch the scrolling display go through several times to work out where my carriage stopped.

At Bristol and Exeter the scrolling carried an extra line of information that I had not seen before along the lines of  'The train is currently between station x and y, or y and z' and it was  updating as it came closer. I think this is a good, helpful move.

Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 18:43:52 »

We’ve had the scrolling message “the train is currently between…” at Reading for a while.  Yesterday as I waited for the 1123 hrs Reading – Pangbourne the scrolling message said “your train may be delayed because of a late running freight train”.  Bit of an understatement - in fact the freight train in question had been sat failed on the DR at Tilehurst since 1000 hrs. 

Anyway, the P12 platform staff were helpful and before we left we all knew the train would run non-stop to Didcot Parkway and passengers for intermediate stations could catch a train back.

There were 5 of us in our little group in coach 3, none of whom (apart from me) could understand the logic of what was happening.  I pointed out the failed rubbish train in Tilehurst as we passed on the DM, and in answer to a question as to how we’d pass it on the way back explained that we’d be on the other line.  We stuck together at Didcot Parkway (one lady in particular was looking for reassurance etc), and as the Driver walked back he reassured the worriers that the train they’d just got off was the train back to Cholsey etc at 1202.

1.   Never underestimate the lack of railway knowledge most of us regular posters take for granted.
2   Although us local passengers were inconvenienced, running the stopper non-stop Reading- Didcot was the right call. The DM was getting quite congested as the DR had been shut for 90 minutes.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 07:52:04 »

1. Never underestimate the lack of railway knowledge most of us regular posters take for granted.

I'm highlighting that bit to do a specific like.

The typical passenger knows far less than the typical member here, who (with exceptions) knows less than the typical person working for the train or infrastructure operator.

That does not mean that the typical passenger is 'lower' in any way - why should they need to know (or be interested) in the internal stuff - just like I don't need to know how my instant coffee is made.  Those "typical passengers" are fare better informed in other fields.

But it is a general failing of the rail industry to inform properly the passenger, and indeed the wannabe passenger, in a clear, straightforward and understandable way.  Whether that's a failure of the information systems, a failure of the system they're trying to describe which has inexplicable elements, or both ... I leave to one side.

There is no harm and a great deal of good in providing extra backup information for the more fully informed user (such as ourselves) provided that it does not dilute the headline and day to day message for the typical user.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 08:40:33 »

My departure board gives the train's latest location too....  Grin

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 10:14:12 »

My departure board gives the train's latest location too....  Grin

I shall respond in more detail to Graham's post later as I am just off to the Chippenham Bus Rally, and Graham may well be running the risk of bumping in to me there  Grin

However, in direct response to Bob's post, with respect the display photographed epitomises the problem as far as I am concerned. The railway is trying to be helpful but is actually giving the average passenger no information at all.

If you are an ordinary passenger, and especially one born after 1964, where the devil is Challow?? Challow station closed in 1964 and there is actually no such place on the map with that name. There is a West Challow and an East Challow, the closest of which is a couple of miles south of the railway, just off the main road between Faringdon and Wantage. I'd wager that there are people living in Faringdon who wouldn't know where "Challow" was in railway terms, let alone an ordinary passenger travelling from Bicester to Llanelli or whatever.

"This train is currently between Didcot and Swindon" would provide worthwhile information; "last report Challow at 2020" does not.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 10:16:48 »

To be fair the board I have is aimed at enthusiasts.   The average rail passenger is not going to have one of these on their wall at home.  If it was a "public board" I would totally agree.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 11:51:45 »

For me, any display which is scrolling should have minimal specific information.  Where it goes, where it calls, the time it calls there, what time it's due, and formation information.  Not messages such as this train is currently between x and y.  That information is useful if listed at the end of displays that can show all of that sort of thing and the above at the same time.  Those interested can then refer to it if they wish.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 13:59:16 »

Of course everyone should know about Challow !
It is AFAIK (as far as I know) the only railway station that has a design of pressure lamp named after the station.
The Tilley lamp company used to make a wide variety of pressure lamps that were used to illuminate stations and other places in the absence of a suitable gas or electricity supply.

A special design was produced for the original GWR (Great Western Railway), known as the challow lamp after the station at which they were first used. These lamps had a reflector shaped so as to direct the light up and down a station platform with minimum waste of light in other directions.

They worked in the same way as the still popular Tilley storm lantern, but had a much larger oil and air capacity so as to permit of all night burning without attention.
The oil reservoir was shaped like a lifebuoy and placed ABOVE the light source, which could therefore give a light directly below the lamp. A Tilley storm lantern gives no light directly downwards on account of the oil container casting a shadow below the light source.
Usually placed at a significant height and with a small hand operated winch to lower the lamp to a convenient height for filling, pumping up and lighting.
Suitable for use in the open or under a station canopy.

At least one station on the WSR still had until recently, and probably still has, one of the winches used for raising and lowering a Tilley lamp

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 15:26:49 »

I shall respond in more detail to Graham's post later as I am just off to the Chippenham Bus Rally, and Graham may well be running the risk of bumping in to me there  Grin

However, in direct response to Bob's post, with respect the display photographed epitomises the problem as far as I am concerned. The railway is trying to be helpful but is actually giving the average passenger no information at all.

If you are an ordinary passenger, and especially one born after 1964, where the devil is Challow?? Challow station closed in 1964 and there is actually no such place on the map with that name. There is a West Challow and an East Challow, the closest of which is a couple of miles south of the railway, just off the main road between Faringdon and Wantage. I'd wager that there are people living in Faringdon who wouldn't know where "Challow" was in railway terms, let alone an ordinary passenger travelling from Bicester to Llanelli or whatever.

"This train is currently between Didcot and Swindon" would provide worthwhile information; "last report Challow at 2020" does not.

Whilst I agree with your point from the perspective of providing waiting passengers with information, as a local to the area I can assure you that Challow Station is very clearly signposted locally and is also signed either side of the bridge on the A417 (though not marked as such on OS (Ordnance Survey) maps).

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6425362,-1.5076157,3a,37.5y,37.43h,89.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sy10xxQ31Y3ZUo33fgojAAg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.616488,-1.492912,3a,75y,165.14h,100.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNkIO0LcTky_Hmx6Hf_HwuQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Before Digital Doris took over station announcements at Didcot it was not unusual for staff to announce something like the next train to Paddington is just passing Steventon or was delayed at Challow/Uffington/Shrivenham despite these stations having been closed since 1964. Somehow we all managed!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 15:33:40 by DidcotPunter » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 16:28:48 »

Good to see you earlier ... and excellent opportunity to photograph people watching and photographing buses ...

On the subject of this thread, it should be noted how the buses were coded at Chippenham Bus Station.

"Gloucester" meant the bus was going to Derry Hill
"Devizes" meant the bus was going to Lacock
"Brislington" meant the bus was going to Corsham
"Sunderland" meant the bus was going to Chippenham Railway Station and college.

and that translation should be clear and obvious to any members of the public present!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 17:34:15 »

In response to broadgage, well there we are. A few weeks short of 67 years on this planet and I'd never heard of all that. Every day is a schoolday, as they say...

Quote from: DidcotPunter
Whilst I agree with your point from the perspective of providing waiting passengers with information, as a local to the area I can assure you that Challow Station is very clearly signposted locally and is also signed either side of the bridge on the A417 (though not marked as such on OS (Ordnance Survey) maps).

and...

Before Digital Doris took over station announcements at Didcot it was not unusual for staff to announce something like the next train to Paddington is just passing Steventon or was delayed at Challow/Uffington/Shrivenham despite these stations having been closed since 1964. Somehow we all managed!

OK I take the point about Challow Station appearing on local nameboards, but I'm still not sure I'd have lost that wager as I said "I'd wager that there are people living in Faringdon who wouldn't know where "Challow" was in railway terms" not "there aren't any people living in Faringdon" etc Smiley

On your second point, I am sure that you "all" managed, as long as you are talking about railway-geography-savvy people waiting at Didcot who live in the area. If we are talking about non-railway-savvy passengers from out of the area I still maintain they wouldn't have a clue what those announcement meant.

A couple of years ago my mother-in-law and her other daughter were over from South Africa and travelling from Edinburgh to Kings Cross by train. Not that it actually happened, but if the Catering Manager had come on and said "the buffet car will be closing after we've passed Werrington," what the devil would that have meant to them?

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 18:21:52 »

For those of you who are not certain what a Challow lamp looks like ,
This may through some light on the matter🙂

https://classicpressurelamps.com/threads/challow.227/.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 18:27:19 »

For those of you who are not certain what a Challow lamp looks like ,
This may through some light on the matter🙂

https://classicpressurelamps.com/threads/challow.227/.

Crikey WP.  There seems to be a website for EVERYTHING these days..... Grin
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 19:21:37 by SandTEngineer » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 19:02:56 »

OK I take the point about Challow Station appearing on local nameboards, but I'm still not sure I'd have lost that wager as I said "I'd wager that there are people living in Faringdon who wouldn't know where "Challow" was in railway terms" not "there aren't any people living in Faringdon" etc Smiley

I am very surprised at that.  A settlement grew up around it (some 2 miles distant from either East or West Challow) and that settlement is still known as Challow station. It has a Faringdon postal address "Challow Station, Faringdon SN7 8NT" and is on the main road from Faringdon to Wantage. It was also widely advertised locally when the road was shut for many weeks to replace the bridge as part of the electrification works.  So if there are people living there who hadn't heard of it I think they need to get out more in their local area. 

When it first opened it was the terminus of the railway (for about 18 months) and was called "Faringdon Road". 
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 20:15:55 »

I am very surprised at that.  A settlement grew up around it (some 2 miles distant from either East or West Challow) and that settlement is still known as Challow station. It has a Faringdon postal address "Challow Station, Faringdon SN7 8NT" and is on the main road from Faringdon to Wantage. It was also widely advertised locally when the road was shut for many weeks to replace the bridge as part of the electrification works.  So if there are people living there who hadn't heard of it I think they need to get out more in their local area. 

When it first opened it was the terminus of the railway (for about 18 months) and was called "Faringdon Road". 

OK I concede the point. Absolutely everyone in Faringdon, and their dogs, know where Challow station is. Except people like:

* The lad I went to school with who didn't know where Keynsham was despite the fact that it was 4 miles away and an hourly bus service to and from the place went past his front door.

* My other half who, despite living here for 12 years, can still get lost driving from here to Sainsbury's on the other side of town

Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: