17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:00:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New uses for pacers  (Read 4595 times)
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 13:17:44 »

Get a few old pacers down to Bristol City Centre next week. Ask the XR (Crossrail) protestors to demonstrate how many can fit into a carriage standing..lock the doors and wait for the protests...and wait for them to pass out through lack of oxygen. Shocked

Is this supposed to be a joke?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 13:20:32 »

Agree it would be funny, if it wasn't already so true. For XR (Crossrail) protestors read passengers, sorry customers. My last journey on a 142 from Leeds to York via Harrogate and Knaresbororugh was just like that.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 14:38:29 »

Could they be arranged in Whitehall as new accommodation for the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)?  I am sure they would find them luxurious.

Any overflow could be placed in an IET (Intercity Express Train) with a non existent trolley service.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 13:06:26 »

And yet ...  what are people looking for?   Frequency, route capacity, reliability; more comfort and higher speeds but only as the journey length increases.  If you offered the people of my home town of Melksham a choice between the service proposed for 2020, and a regular service of these converted old buses from Swindon every 30 minutes, alternating services carrying on beyond Westbury to Southampton Airport and to Yeovil Junction, I suspect many would go for the latter. 

Looks like I'm not alone in those thoughts ... from "up north" ...

IMHO (in my humble opinion) they can keep the pacers on my line I use if it means they actually send a number of carriages that fit us all on.

I would understand keeping some as backups as new trains come on, I'd even be okay if they added more trains per hour.

Yes please.   Won't happen, of course, because it's not "policy"  Grin Grin.   "They" would far rather provide a nice train every 2 and a half hours than a bus on rails every 30 minutes.   

But just watch if a bus on rails was provided 4 times in 2.5 hours and then a "nice" train for the current service.   I doubt many people would let the bus on rails leave and say "no, I'll wait for the nice train in 30 minutes".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 21:05:10 »

It would be interesting if the August Meet the Manager hour brushed on this subject.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 06:03:25 »

From Rail Advent

Angel Trains has announced that it has plans to offer Class 142 pacer trains to heritage railways and the emergency services following their withdrawal from service with Northern.

The proceeds from sales to heritage railways and the emergency services will all go to charity.

The Class 142 Pacer DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) were built between 1985 and 1987. Since then, they have been refurbished and upgraded to offer a low-cost solution to train operators and routes where otherwise they might not have a train service at all.

The Pacers are due off-lease from Northern imminently. Angel Trains has said that it recognises the need for modernisation of Britain’s railways and has said it does not have any plans to re-lease any Pacers to any other operators.

The leasing company has 83 x 2-car Class 142 Pacer units in operation and is offering a small number of vehicles to the below organisations

Emergency services – all proceeds will be donated to a charity of the organisation’s choice
Heritage Railways – all proceeds will be donated to Angel Trains’ charity of choice, Railway Children
Additionally, the National Railway Museum at York is to receive one Class 142, allowing future enthusiasts to look back on the importance of the Pacer.

All remaining trains that are not set aside for further use by emergency services, heritage railways or community railways will be scrapped.

What happened to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s competition, or do all winners count as being in these three categories?

And the proceeds of selling the rest (all but a small number of vehicles) for scrap will be ploughed back into Angel Train's business / balance sheet?  Grin Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 07:04:23 »

Another DFQ, what would the emergency services want a pacer for?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 07:49:22 »

Training on things like emergency evacuation I would imagine.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2019, 10:02:09 »

The film industry might buy a few, for blowing up or otherwise wrecking in the making of adventure movies.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 12:54:34 »

Perhaps "top gear" might buy a pacer at scrap price, fit rubber tyres and try and drive it on a road ? No dafter than their famous "caravan train" episode which certainly made me laugh.
Steering would be an interesting challenge, but something could no doubt be improvised, perhaps involving separate brakes for the left hand and right hand wheels.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 15:29:47 »

Perhaps "top gear" might buy a pacer at scrap price, fit rubber tyres and try and drive it on a road ? No dafter than their famous "caravan train" episode which certainly made me laugh.
Steering would be an interesting challenge, but something could no doubt be improvised, perhaps involving separate brakes for the left hand and right hand wheels.

Is it not possible to take the superstructure of a railway coach and fit it to the chassis of a bus? Or has someone thought of that before...
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 18:18:01 »

Some great comments

I remember when growing up that many of the old wooden bodied freight wagons (box cars?) had been removed from their undercarriage and found a new life as garden sheds. Many of these ended up in gardens miles from the nearest station.

Sadly no-one want want their garden shed roof to leak like a Pacer, so that’s a no-no...
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2019, 18:19:45 »

I know some people who run a glamping site near Evesham, with yurts and similar. One of their accommodation options is a converted box car. Southern Railway, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly). It looks rather nice inside.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2019, 18:34:56 »

I know some people who run a glamping site near Evesham, with yurts and similar. One of their accommodation options is a converted box car. Southern Railway, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly). It looks rather nice inside.

Someone have a chat with Lizzie and I'm sure she could do something amazing. One of these years we'll make it to St Germans or Hayle. Hopefully before they have class 803 (IET (Intercity Express Train) sleeper) carriages retired there!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 19:16:28 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 07:03:33 »

From CitiUK

Community groups and charities across the north are in the running to win a decommissioned Pacer train as the government run Transform a Pacer competition comes to a close.

Entrants range from radio stations to local hospitals and the winners will be chosen based on the benefits they can bring to the wider community. Ideas have included converting the carriage into a wildlife classroom to teach the wider community about the local environment, turning the carriage into a local heritage centre that will tell the story of the history of the railways in the region and a library’s fantasy grotto for children.

The competition is part of the long-awaited nationwide withdrawal of Pacer trains from the rail network after over 30 years of service.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said: "The winners of this competition will give a handful of Pacers a future serving local communities in a new and exciting way.

"The Pacers have served communities in the north for 3 decades. But in that time they have divided opinions and they have become a symbol of underinvestment in the north.

"As we level up the economy in the north we are phasing Pacers out completely, with the last trains off the network this year. Their modern replacements will improve journeys and create space for 40,000 more passengers."

Three retired pacer train carriages will be shared between community projects in communities across the north.

The vehicles will be repurposed into a range of projects and assets to improve lives locally.

The winners will be decided by the following judging panel:
Pete Waterman (head judge)
Tim Dunn (railway enthusiast, historian, broadcaster and presenter of Trainspotting Live)
Mary Grant (the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of railways rolling stock leasing company Porterbrook)
Jools Townsend (Chief Executive of The Association of Community Rail Partnerships - ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships))
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 07:15:38 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: