Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:10:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Providing public transport as soon as people move in to new houses  (Read 5465 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 21:17:33 »

I can bore for Britain on the subject - so it I ever make it to a Coffee Shop event I recommend you make your excuses and leave if I start to talk about it!

There are so many things I could easily spend an evening listening to - but rarely enough time.  I rather suspect in this case I might miss the last train ...

Quite so. I too would be fascinated!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 06:02:15 »

As I said earlier, I support initiatives to improve and expand public transport provision, but we must be realistic.

I totally agree, Robin.   There's very long answer to follow.  The TransWilts constitution when I was involved was written to cover "public transport from to and within Wiltshire" and indeed that was rather more than just words.  There is plenty of scope for initiatives - new ones and re-started ones - that are realistic. But there is also plenty of scope too for the unsustainable, the unaffordable and the fanciful.  The "trick" is to find the wood for the trees, and to convert theory on what should be done into the practise of actually doing it.

I am conscious that there remains a very long and deep answer to follow ... and that I have run out of time to write it to the depth I would wish.  So much I could come back with on general bus services and on the specifics that relate to Chippenham, to Melksham, to Trowbridge, to Westbury ... picking up / refreshing comment from http://option247.uk for example.

With some trepidation (as these are my framework notes which lack proper filling in)

A potted review of bus transport in Wiltshire

History

Local rail -> Local Bus and private car
Independent -> Nationalised -> Privatised and unregulated
Network -> Commercial + supported individual routes / part routes
Blue collar traffic lost.  Bus to factory work has gone.
Few ministers / MPs (Member of Parliament) / County Councillors outside London are now regular local public transport users

Current service groups
a) Interurban
b) School
c) Town
d) Rural
e) Evenings
f) Sundays
each with metrics and characteristics to be considered, and overlaps too ...

Loss of frequency -> loss of passengers -> further loss of frequency (and vice versa)
Desire for clockface versus traffic issues
Spike loadings and the 08:30 to 09:30 gap when buses are often silly-quiet

Need to make money for the operator not just bring good for the economy
Commercial routes may be good for the economy

Commercial and Mergers Authority, cartels, competition more important than social service??
Advanced and enhanced partnerships and franchising - but no-one to take the risk
Lack of customer partnership groups for the bus industry / operators

An infrequent service is either specific for a paricular requirement within a flow (e.g. school) or a distress purchase (i.e. lacks conveniencne but is all that's availabe - best of a bad job)

People really don't like a long wait and / or a high fare fare for a journey of just a few minutes

Increasing bus standards costs money and that has to be funded somehow.

Buses run complete routes / cycles and one way flows (morning inbound later in the day outbound) reduce average loading to way below what the average observer might see.

Congestion plays havock with buses keeping to time. Buses failing to keep to time loose faith with the public and all sorts of complexities like drivers running out of hours get added.  If buses on a route are rourtienly held back by congestion, more vehicles are needed or a less frequent service is all that can be achieved. If the congestion is always at the same time of day, that really messes up any attempt at clockface service - wither you build slack in all day or you have daily chaos at congestion time.

The future

Clean air, congestion, climate crisis all could be helped by more people per vehicle

Towns are growing but High Streets are shrinking

5 days a week, 9 to 5 office jobs not quite so much the norm.  Shorter weeks, flexible hours, working some days from home, growth of Sunday as a workday.

Network (inc rail) and social needs changing.

Town Specifics

To be written - in fact to be started yet!

There is huge scope for people to fill in / discuss the above .... and it may well fit well in "Transport Scholars" where we can talk of the theory behind some very difficult choices and issues in a rather less public way.   Not all members who are well into the buses are members of "Transport Scholars" however - please like this post if you would like me to add you there.

"Am I a member of Transport Scholars" you may ask.   Try this link and if you see the "How Stuff Works" board you're already there.   If not ... like this post to be added; I'll check daily for the next week.  Or send me or another admin a personal message ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: