Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:44:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A good time for Coffee Shop questions and ideas  (Read 5997 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 23, 2008, 16:11:05 »

"The Coffeeshop" has grown quite dramatically in recent months, and a forum that I started with just a couple of moderators to help has grown quite a bit - to the extent that the moderator team is planning to meet up in the near future to discuss matters that arise, and how we can enhance the boards in the future. We've got a number of topics on our (informal) agenda already, but I'm posting this message up here to let everyone know that if you've any ideas or questions, asking them / making suggestions in the next few days would be a very good idea.   Post here, "pm" me, or email me via graham@wellho.net ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 17:58:36 »

I know of this on other forums, so is there any way to filter certain words automatically as bad language is becoming a problem IMO (in my opinion), and if it was filtered before anyone saw it it would be better.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 20:06:39 »

I know of this on other forums, so is there any way to filter certain words automatically as bad language is becoming a problem IMO (in my opinion), and if it was filtered before anyone saw it it would be better.

Thanks - and exactly the sort of thing for us to look at.  Not only would that be helpful in the way you suggest, but it would also do things in such a way that there wasn't any suggestion of different rules for different people.   

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 21:07:51 »

But then you have to define bad language

In my working environment 4 letter expeletives are the norm - but that is at one extreme.

I had one forum where I was posting that I was roasting a chicken cock - I was, it was a cockerel - but was not allowed to post.

automatic filters do not take into account context.

The weight watchers boards dont allow the word cow but since laughing cow is a dieters favourite cheese subsitute it makes posting recipes difficult.

Maybe a system that flags dodgy words but then has human intervention to determine context would be better!

P.S. if anyone ever outlaws crap I'll be off since with FGW (First Great Western) crap and S**t are synonemous with the service and it would not allow the forum to function

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 21:18:56 »

I had one forum where I was posting that I was roasting a chicken cock - I was, it was a cockerel - but was not allowed to post.

Ah yes - I'm glad that neither Penistone nor Scunthorpe are in our area, nor is Arsenal.  I have similar stories to yours - very appropriate at Easter, I can recall sitting round with a group of very upright reverend gentlemen, throwing naughty words around the room and trying to decide what should and what should not be allowed.

P.S. if anyone ever outlaws crap I'll be off since with FGW (First Great Western) crap and S**t are synonemous with the service and it would not allow the forum to function

Yes - in fact I just commented on this fact in another thread; where it's used as an insult against people of a group of people it has to be outlawed, but I used it, just like you have intimated, to descibe my local train service.

Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 21:34:46 »

There are certain words that if a system was introduced should be automatically filtered, and others just falgged to all moderators. There are some words that I have only seen used in the wrong context, one that paticuarly offended even though it was aimed at First.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 11:23:23 »

Update from moderator's meeting ... current policy strongly endorsed, even if it means that the occasional member gets upset at being pulled up on his / her language or etiquette and even decides to leave us because of it.  But generaous warnings the first and probably the second time someone strays.

The reason behind our strong policy is that we have many users who are here, and many more people who read us, precisely because this is NOT a forum where personal insults are traded!

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 19:45:54 »

The f word probably could be "automatically" caught.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 20:34:33 »

The f word probably could be "automatically" caught.

"First" ??

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 21:33:05 »

Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: