Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:32:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taplow Limehouse  (Read 3880 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:51:41 »

Just tried National Rail for times.

Gives Taplow Limehouse    Departing    Arriving    Duration    Changes
                                              09:36    11:19    1h 43m    1

Change is Pad however onward bit is

TF Logo 10:31    London Paddington [PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)]       Limehouse [LHS (Locomotive Hauled Stock)]   11:19       0h 48m

No indication of route changes etc.

TFL (Transport for London) Journey Planner Gives

Option 1: Great Western Railway national-rail, Central line, DLR (Docklands Light Railway) dlr, 74 mins
Depart at: 09:36 -  Arrive at: 10:50
Total time: 1hr  14mins
Detailed steps for option 1
Step 1
Depart Taplow Rail Station at 09:36via Great Western Railway to Ealing Broadway
Great Western Railway to Ealing Broadway
Journey time:
28 min
View stops
Step 2
Depart Ealing Broadway Underground Station at 10:09via Central line to Bank
Central line to Bank
Journey time:
32 min
View stops
Step 3
Depart Bank DLR Station at 10:45via DLR to Limehouse DLR Station
DLR to Limehouse DLR Station
Journey time:
5 min
View stops
Arrive at Limehouse DLR Station at 10:50 Limehouse DLR Station

So none the wiser as to the route via Padd. Must admit I'd forgotten Ealing Broadway as a change.

Another thought this might still be the quickest route even after Crossrail runs through due to the long walk at Canary Wharf to pick up the DLR.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 06:59:32 »

Perhaps they thought you were going to cycle along the Regents Canal to Limehouse.

Possibly not today as it goes round the UA Ambassadors residence and they might be searching the canal for Iranian frogman or Russian mini submarines.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 15:43:23 »

The OJP (Online Journey Planner) seems to have a thing about using the DLR (Docklands Light Railway).

Note that there are two Limehouse stations defined in the system as distinct destinations. One is the DLR station, and the other is identified as LTS (for those of us old enough to remember its old name). There are separate fares to the two stations, which makes almost no sense at all.

NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s OJP only offers you the LTS station (which the code LHS (Locomotive Hauled Stock) really applies to). GWR (Great Western Railway)'s JP offers both, but if you select the DLR one it says it can't find any trains. Both give you the travelcard fare of £17.00 - there is a point-point fare but it's higher! (That is "cross-London", too, i.e. as if you go to Fenchurch street and get a train from there. However, the OJP can give a route from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to FST if you are going further, but won't for this one.)

The OJP does know about DLR stations, just not this one. Choose one nearby (Westferry), and it will come up with the route details including the DLR. Choose Shadwell, however, and it insists on going round the houses so as to arrive by Overground. So it looks as if it's only using DLR as its lowest priority, even if it is quicker, and while it knows both stations are "Limehouse" it can't quite merge its routing results for them.

If you insist on the cheapest return (or single), that is to the DLR station, and there are loads of options with different permitted zones: U23*, U123*, U1234*, U1245, and U1256. I've never understood those U codes, despite seeing the explanation that you can only transit the listed zones, and I've never seen anything about the asterisk. But for the record, the cheap one is £12.90 for U23* routed EALING CM/W ACTN (i.e. change EBW). Is that really offering the lower price only if you avoid zone 1 - in practice that means Overground all the way round?

PS: Why does the OJP offer TAP-LHS via Reading, with two tickets and a much higher cost? That may be a quirk of the timings, but if so why does it not happen for TAP-PAD? I also spotted at least one case where it flagged a train as overtaken by a later one when no such train was offered - I think I've seen that before, but can't remember why.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 16:32:15 »

My understanding of an asterisk is that it's like a grand full stop.

For example, a ticket from Truro to Par will be from Truro to Par* to stop some clown adding in "bold" and trying to convince the ticket inspector it's a ticket from Cornwall to Lancashire.

I note that the codes you quote with "*" are all short ones or end in a low number, the ones without are for 4 zones ending in a higher number.  So it sorta tallies that this is why the * is there.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 23:23:09 »

Whenever I see the title of this thread I think that Taplow has some new station Taplow Limehouse, presumably in some former builders yard where they used to store lime. Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: