09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
10:38 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 11:35:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[210] A daily picture from my recent travels
[57] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[54] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[47] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[45] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[41] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • CANCELLED - Coffee Shop AGM: April 04, 2020
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick Win outcomes - Coffee Shop AGM  (Read 5471 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 09, 2019, 07:53:24 »

A big "thank you" to everyone who came along to yesterday's inaugural Coffee Shop AGM (Annual General Meeting); the discussions / comments about what is and isn't used and what's "wouldn't it be nice if" on the forum were really useful to informing me as code developer / maintainer.  The majority were no surprises, the majority already well know, and the majority of outstanding issues really need to follow the software upgrade to avoid me doing a lotta work just to scrap it and start again. 

One of the thing that we agreed is to run a survey (needs more that just a poll or two) to work out which "wouldn't it be nice if"s to implement, which are practical, etc, and yesterday's discussion have helped give ideas to formulate the questions to be asked.  That's probably an autumn thing, once I get to understand the practicallity (myself) of some of the ideas - don't want to run a survey that says "would you like xxxx" just to answer that "xxxx can't be done" when you all say yes.   There are, however, one or two things that are blindingly obvious that you would like and are no more than a few lines of code and it's reasonable for me to shove those in to the current version and re-implement them in the next.

I have added at the very very bottom of the pages a "jump to top of page" link - this will help those of you on mobile / tablet devices get back to the menus at the top go each page without silly amounts of scrolling

Also at the very very bottom of the pages a "jump to home page" link - which will get you to the top of the Coffee Shop from the bottom of any page.

I have resisted the temptation at this point to try and add in contextual jumps at the bottom of each page (i.e. jumps depending on the particular page you are on), though that's a possibility in the future.  Should I start referring to these things that may come as "BC" (Before Crossrail fully open) or "AD" (After ... can someone suggest what "D" might stand for??).   Contextual jumps are BC ...

The room chosen for the AGM was an overwhelming success - the venue of Taunton, as well as being the forum's spiritual holiday home after Melksham, suits (or is equally unsuitable) for all our members from far and wide, the place itself just across the taxi rank from the station's south barriers, the place steeped in railway history and the  staff very welcoming. Price suits too.  So I have booked the room for Saturday 4th April 2020 - Coffee Shop AGM - that's just 10 months away; earlier date chosen so that we're earlier in our financial year and in a month convenient for most members.  It's a week before Easter (yes, we did check!).  New train timetables start (we think  Grin Grin ) this December, and AGM start timing will be based on train arrivals from London and from the Far West;  current Saturday timing of the first train from Westbury set the time for this year.   We plan to have a guest speaker; without such an attraction this year we may have lost some attendance, but we weren't short of things to do with a key look through where the software could go, and there are other timing elements to save.

Edit to add ...

I have just added (back) a random image at the top right of each page ... uploading images at the moment.  You should be able to click on any image and see it MUCH bigger.  Image names will be permanent if you want to refer to / comment / ask about any of them.  For a couple of days they may be larger than I would like; network issues at the moment / I will switch to another and compressed set in the next few days.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:56:02 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 11:46:47 »

Works very well saves a great deal of scrolling,for which very many thanks Grahame.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 14:17:27 »

For 4th April next year ... been looking at Saturday train times.  Am I reading this right - as far as I can see the first train from Pewsey / Westbury / Castle Cary doesn't reach Taunton until 10:33 ... nearly half an hour later that at present. 

Am I missing something, or is this all a part of the "race from London" which is degrading intermediate station opportunities?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 07:32:39 »

I think we have multiple threads running that talk about our AGM (Annual General Meeting) - however, I'm adding on this one as the one coming up in the calendar.  I will have a look at merging later.

All on tap for the AGM - all welcome, though only members can vote if we have any formal votes. I'm going to suggest  formal start at 11 a.m. with proviso for starting late if the 10:33 (first arrive from Westbury) is absurdly late.

The admin team met with GWR (Great Western Railway) yesterday for our quarterly meeting - hence the splurge of posts this morning - and it' confirmed we'll have a significant update from our major train operator as part of the agenda - be it formal in the AGM, or just before or just after.  Various names were mentioned, but as there are a considerable number of unknowns around, a definite decision as to who's most appropriate will come in a few weeks.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 17:41:08 »

The room chosen for the AGM (Annual General Meeting) was an overwhelming success - the venue of Taunton, as well as being the forum's spiritual holiday home after Melksham, suits (or is equally unsuitable) for all our members from far and wide, the place itself just across the taxi rank from the station's south barriers, the place steeped in railway history and the  staff very welcoming. Price suits too.  So I have booked the room for Saturday 4th April 2020 - Coffee Shop AGM - that's just 10 months away; earlier date chosen so that we're earlier in our financial year and in a month convenient for most members.  It's a week before Easter (yes, we did check!).  New train timetables start (we think  Grin Grin ) this December, and AGM start timing will be based on train arrivals from London and from the Far West;  current Saturday timing of the first train from Westbury set the time for this year.   We plan to have a guest speaker; without such an attraction this year we may have lost some attendance, but we weren't short of things to do with a key look through where the software could go, and there are other timing elements to save.
I haven't found the actual address mentioned anywhere.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 17:55:47 »

I haven't found the actual address mentioned anywhere.

The Great Western Hotel
Station Approach
Taunton TA1 1QW

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 20:37:12 »

If you are coming by train walk out the gate line on the town side (platform 2) and it is the building to the right opposite the station buildings.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 20:53:40 »

If you are coming by train walk out the gate line on the town side (platform 2) and it is the building to the right opposite the station buildings.

Sadly, exits on that side have all been closed  .... the original one to put a gateline in towards the London end, then that new one because the area outside is being redeveloped.  Should be temporary, but ...

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 20:58:33 »

Where do the buses to Minehead go from now?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 21:12:41 »

Where do the buses to Minehead go from now?

https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/stations-and-routes/taunton-upgrades from last autumn

Buses will depart from a temporary bus stop near Dashi on the south side of the station until Monday 30 September. From then, buses will depart from bus stop S4 on Station Road near the railway bridge.

Signs will be displayed to guide you to the correct location.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 21:27:49 »

Causing a thread drift here but that sounds like the rail/bus connections will be broken.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 20:59:39 »

The stop for buses towards Minehead seems rather random. The "best" directions that I have been given is that the bus leaves from "outside the snooker club that was demolished"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 21:07:31 »

The stop for buses towards Minehead seems rather random. The "best" directions that I have been given is that the bus leaves from "outside the snooker club that was demolished"

I was in Taunton the other week and noticed then that the Minehead bus was stopped at a stop which was virtually under the railway bridge, on the far side of the road.

I was there again today, and noticed that there do not seem to be any signs at the foot of the road that leads up to the station from the town centre side to alert you that that access to the station is closed. So I imagine many must walk up the slope for a couple of hundred yards before discovering they are going to have to retrace their steps.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 12:41:53 »

The now demolished snooker club WAS near the bridge and on the far side of the main road from station.
But yes, signage could be better.
A lot of bus stops on the route to Minehead are hidden, part of a policy to discourage use and justify withdrawal I cynically suspect.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 05:36:20 »

With the effects (direct or indirect) of the Coronavirus changing the news and mobility now and in upcoming times, there has been a discussion within the moderator's area about our AGM (Annual General Meeting), booked for 4th April in Taunton.  The plan is to send out an agenda at the weekend, but with a prominent statement that a final decision will be taken on a specific date (28th March - 7 days notice?) nearer the time when we can better assess the situation or be told by some higher authority that we cannot hold it.

Even as this plan has been developing, news (and higher authority reactions) have been changing. For the purpose of clarity, there is zero requirement on any member to attend the AGM, and we appreciate that a number of our members are in the higher risk groups. Admins / moderators would be mortified to have anyone feel that they were being put at risk (or indeed worse) by attending.   In any case, meeting notes go online.  No extraordinary resolutions.  And should the final decision be "no", the answer to "what now" may be an online meeting with probably a little longer to prepare, a postponement, or a cancellation for 2020.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: