Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:46:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know of a bus station that they actually like?  (Read 8968 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 18:33:24 »

My favourite (so far) is Santiago, Chile, or Valparaiso at the other end. Tiverton isn't bad, although actual buses are thin on the ground. Smack in the centre of town, unlike Bristol.

Bristol bus station not in centre of town?  Huh
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 19:07:01 »

My favourite (so far) is Santiago, Chile, or Valparaiso at the other end. Tiverton isn't bad, although actual buses are thin on the ground. Smack in the centre of town, unlike Bristol.

Difficult to say these days where the centre of Bristol is. It's a long way from Temple Meads to the bus station.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 19:12:52 »

Difficult to say these days where the centre of Bristol is. It's a long way from Temple Meads to the bus station.

It's an easy ten minute walk from home to the bus station, so it's "central for me".  Cheesy Roll Eyes It's also close to Broadmead and the area still known as "The Centre" but it is less handy for Temple Meads.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 20:28:04 »

Truro is alright being in a busy area. Northampton used to be bloody awful, so did Reading's long distance Alder Valley darkness. For local transport I have never favored a full on bus station on street bus stops work much better provided there is a decent central turning area or the routes cross town.
Preston has to be the winner for best.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 20:34:17 »

For local transport I have never favored a full on bus station on street bus stops work much better provided there is a decent central turning area or the routes cross town.
Cardiff's bus station was well sited, next to Central Station and at one end of the town.  Couldn't really be any better, and avoided buses clogging up the city centre streets.  So of course they knocked it down and built offices instead a couple of years ago...
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 20:37:03 »

St ives on a sunny day has to be the most scenic

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 20:41:43 »

Smack in the centre of town

Best keep your drug buying habits to yourself. Kids - just say no.  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 20:47:25 »

It's an easy ten minute walk from home to the bus station, so it's "central for me".  Cheesy Roll Eyes It's also close to Broadmead and the area still known as "The Centre" but it is less handy for Temple Meads.

As an aside, the old Bristol Bus Station features at the beginning and end of and old British film from 1962 with Kenneth More, Ray Brooks and a very young looking David Hemmings in the cast.

It's all filmed at Bristol locations including Bristol Docks, the Portway, the Downs and Filton Airport.

To be fair, it's not exactly a brilliant film but definitely interesting to anyone who knows Bristol. Nearly forgot, it's called Some People.

A little more on topic, I quite like the Wandsbek Markt bus station in Hamburg which integrates nicely with the U-Bahn immediately below.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 22:22:04 »

Truro is alright being in a busy area. Northampton used to be bloody awful, so did Reading's long distance Alder Valley darkness. For local transport I have never favored a full on bus station on street bus stops work much better provided there is a decent central turning area or the routes cross town.
Preston has to be the winner for best.

I lost my car in the vast car park above Preston bus station. A former colleague found his (then new) company Sierra eventually after parking there. He drove out, then opened the glove box to switch the radio on - no point in trying to call base from inside a car park. But there was no radio. He realised he had taken the wrong brand new Sierra. Someone must have been baffled when he got back to his car, probably on a different floor.

I saw the psychedelic rock band Gong in Preston Guildhall about 40 years ago. Walking back through the labyrinthine underpass below the bus station, we found the sax / flute player Count Bloomdido Badde de Grasse, aka Didier Malherbe, wandering, lost. We took him for a pint - he was really good company, although I was slightly disappointed not to have met "space whisper" Shakti Yoni (Gillian Smith, who died aged 83 in 2016), Daevid Allen, otherwise "Divided Alien" or "Bert Camembert", died 2015 aged 77, or Stevie Hillside, alias Steve Hillage, one of the better players of the electric guitar, and still very much with us at a youthful 67. We then found Didier's rather battered Citroen. Shakti Yoni was extremely sultry, and about two years younger than my mother.
The following month, me and the same mates ended up in the same pub with Yes, after seeing them play, purely because all the pubs close to the Guildhall were full, and they chose the same one as us for a post-gig snifter. Jon Anderson - first man I ever saw order a tonic water without gin. Rick Wakeman - first two pints didn't touch the sides.

I digress. I used to change trains at Preston when visiting my now late mother near Blackpool. The electrification was going on at that time, but wasn't finished in time for my last visit. Occasionally, thanks to split tickets, I would venture out of the station for one of them pints. It's not something I would wholeheartedly recommend.

Smack in the centre of town

Best keep your drug buying habits to yourself. Kids - just say no.  Tongue

An avenue of pleasure long closed to me. These days, it tends to be steroids, but man cannot live by Prednisolone alone.

Go to for the seminal track "Phohat digs holes in space" and fast forward about 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 23:43:26 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 07:27:47 »

In the case of Reading, oh to have a bus station to like (or not).
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 08:14:19 »

Plymouth Bretonside (unless it's been given a facelift since the 1970s/80s).

It certainly has been given a facelift - it's now an IMAX cinema and leisure complex.

Plymouth's "bus station" is now Royal Parade. There's a small coach station though, which is a converted shop and car park round the back of Mayflower Street.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
lympstone_commuter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 09:11:24 »

I nominate Galashiels "Transport Interchange". Brand new, bus and railway stations combined, interesting architecture and nice facilities. Unfortunately you have to cross a road to get to the railway platform, but otherwise it's a model of how to do it, I'd say.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 09:22:40 »

For local transport I have never favored a full on bus station on street bus stops work much better provided there is a decent central turning area or the routes cross town.
Cardiff's bus station was well sited, next to Central Station and at one end of the town.  Couldn't really be any better, and avoided buses clogging up the city centre streets.  So of course they knocked it down and built offices instead a couple of years ago...
But just along the line in Port Talbot, they've just spent £17m on an incredibly windswept bus station next to the railway station, but are keeping the old bus station at the other end of town running as well. From what i can work out, only the routes that parallel the railway use the new bus station, with passengers having to change at both bus stations if they are coming from the train and are heading inland up the Afan valley. Having said that, with the bus service up the Afan valley strangely not continuing over the top into the Rhondda, it wouldn't really be very useful even if it did go to the right bus station.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 14:22:43 »

I've recently spent a few minutes in Tiverton bus station, and changed my opinion. It isn't very good.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 17:05:47 »

Go to for the seminal track "Phohat digs holes in space" and fast forward about 20 minutes.
Thanks for that, I enjoy having my musical horizons broadened.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: