Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:22:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Unmanned gatelines  (Read 12182 times)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: June 13, 2019, 23:17:30 »

Earlier this evening I arrived at Chippenham at around 1913 on the 1800 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) with my all line rail rover, a ticket that I have yet to find operates any Gatelines anywhere in the country. I attempted to leave the station via the new footbridge and found the gates in operation. As usual I then pressed the “assistance” button.

Nobody answered.

After a few seconds of apparently pre-recorded announcements I was told that “all of our staff are busy at the moment and will you will be helped as soon as possible” (or something similar). After waiting for a minute or so I pressed the assistance button again and nothing happened.  Another passenger saw what was going on and suggested that I nip quickly through the disabled gate with him, and I did so.

I am under the impression that the rules state that if the Gatelines cannot be manned for any reason they should remain open. Staff being “busy” on other duties means that they are unavailable to man the Gateline, so as I see it they should have been opened at the time.

I accept that all I had to do was walk to my car in the car park but, at 1913 in Chippenham, what few buses are still running are few and far between. I would certainly have a lot more to say if I had been stuck behind that damn Gateline, being apologised to that “all of our staff were busy,” whilst watching my X31 or 55 bus depart from the station approach with a wait for up to 2 hours (for the X31) for the next one.

This will not do.

I shall be making a formal complaint to GWR (Great Western Railway) over this incident when I get the chance, but first I’ve got to get my money’s worth out of an all line rover for the next 8 days, so I thought I’d bring the matter up here  Smiley

Does anyone else have any views on this, especially Mark Hopwood if he monitors the site frequently?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 23:44:18 »

I have found on all bar one occasions that the gatelines have been staffed, or there has been someone on the end of the button straight away.  That one exception (I went off to find someone to let me through) was also at Chippenham.

Tomorrow is the GWR (Great Western Railway) Community Rail Conference in Bristol.  I will check what should happen with someone who knows - I'm sure there will be someone here who does.   Any more reports on this thread by 09:00 tomorrow please if there is other data to consider.

P.S.  I found that my North East rover failed on all gate lines too - EXCEPT Darlington, where it let me through.  If you are leaving the station in Darlington and the gates are actually in use, do let me know if your ticket works!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:00:37 »

I was led to believe that manning gateline is a Health and Safety issue. If there are no staff there they have to be open, in case of fire if nothing else.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 07:16:35 »

I found my ALRs (All Line Rover) never worked a gateline - indeed I was advised on here not to try to avoid the risk of it being swallowed up and needing rescuing. 
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:36:53 »

I was led to believe that manning gateline is a Health and Safety issue. If there are no staff there they have to be open, in case of fire if nothing else.
Presumably there is a fire alarm that can be activated by passengers in case of fire or other emergencies? That would probably ensure that either staff would suddenly be able to attend the gateline, or that the fire brigade would come with cutting equipment to saw off the gates and release the passengers.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 08:43:24 »

I have had a similar issue at Taunton, down side.
On one occasion I was told to use the exit on the London bound side, a lengthy detour and IMHO (in my humble opinion) unreasonable with luggage.

I pointed out that the gates should be open if not manned and was told that this only applies to underground stations.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 09:32:42 »

You do get quite a few stations where gatelines are unstaffed.  Beaconsfield, High Wycombe on Chiltern and Hassocks on Southern spring to mind.  If a station is large enough to have a fire alarm system then it is usually linked to the gates.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 13:37:14 »

You do get quite a few stations where gatelines are unstaffed.  Beaconsfield, High Wycombe on Chiltern and Hassocks on Southern spring to mind.  If a station is large enough to have a fire alarm system then it is usually linked to the gates.
At Wycombe at the main entrance there is usually someone in the ticket office and if not I've never found a time when the luggage gate isn't unlocked if you try opening it if your ticket doesn't work (which happens more times than it should there!)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 14:12:56 »

Yes, I was referring to the other gateline on the London platform.  As you say though, the luggage gate is usually unlocked (though you might not realise that).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 16:25:11 »

I've also been led to believe though I can't say for sure that gateline barriers should be open if they are not staffed. FWIW (for what it's worth) every time I've been to Chippenham, they've been open and unstaffed.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 18:52:55 »

Checked today with GWR (Great Western Railway) team.  If gates are in use (rather than open) they should either be staffed or with a call point which is answered as a priority. No one should have to wait because "staff are busy", or have to go off and use another exit / go find someone.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 21:01:41 »

Quote from: grahame
Checked today with GWR (Great Western Railway) team.  If gates are in use (rather than open) they should either be staffed or with a call point which is answered as a priority. No one should have to wait because "staff are busy", or have to go off and use another exit / go find someone.

Interesting.

I had some spare time today because my planned trip with the rail rover went belly-up (more of which later), so I brought up the matter with the dispatch staff at Chippenham. I was told after they fumbled with paperwork for a bit that three members of staff were supposed to be on the gate at Chippenham at 1915 last night, so theoretically what happened should not have happened.

He put forward the theory that staff were all busy with other people’s queries at the time which is why I had to wait. This is nearly plausible but it poses as many questions as it answers:

There are now three gated entrances to Chippenham station; the main entrance, the north side entrance and the gates to the new footbridge. The two “remote” gates have a help point on each side so there are four remote help points in total. How many cameras can be monitored at once in the event of multiple help point requests? (I’ll see what I can find out on that if nobody on here already knows)

Given that GWR are now aware that as many people access the station from the north side as the south side, and yet more to and from either side may use the new footbridge entrance because of proximity to lifts, why do all the staff routinely mingle at the north side entrance nattering to each other except in the morning peak, when logic suggests that at least 50% of the help point queries are going to come from the north side or the footbridge?

As regards the rail rover, today was planned with a late start (0956) and a late finish (2159) so that I could cover a section of “virgin track” in Leicestershire. The plan was to use the 1625 Derby to Kettering via Melton Mowbray. I didn’t find out that that was where the landslip and flooding occurred yesterday until 0830 this morning, and by then it was too late for me to substitute one of the other planned trips which all start between 0726 and 0825. I therefore ended up making up an itinerary on the hoof, idly riding aroubd on trains simple because I had a ticket to do so and wanted ny money's worth! This finally involved Chippenham-Paddington-Cardiff-Gloucester-Bristol-Chippenham, but even that knocked up 358 miles! I see they've knocked the bus station down since I was last in Cardiff...

I hope to get back on track with Stoke-Uttoxeter-Derby tomorrow!

PS - after spending most of today in IETs (Intercity Express Train), can I suggest that when they withdraw the Pacers they have the upholstery out and put it in the 800s? Far more chance of a bruised backside in an 800 than in a 143...

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 12:33:22 »

Quote from: bobm
I found my ALRs (All Line Rover) never worked a gateline - indeed I was advised on here not to try to avoid the risk of it being swallowed up and needing rescuing. 

Of course if you are told by a member of staff to put it through the gateline then at least there would be someone there to take any necessary action. They have tended to exasperate me because when they get rejected it proves (to my mind at least) that their training in these matters is lacking. Having said that, it does appear that staff might be exasperated themselves when they get shown tickets before people even attempt to put them through the gatelines as , it appears from observation, quite a few people do.

Or that is what I thought until Thursday 13th June when I landed with my rail rover at Ipswich. The guy on the gate told me to put it through, so I sighed and waited for the inevitable outcome so I could say "I told you so" or words to that effect.

But the expected outcome never came. The gateline accepted my ticket and opened!

This was only an "out for a fag break" stop, and the gatelines were open anyway when I went back in, so I couldn't test it again.

As circumstances dictated (more by accident than design but that's another story) I was back in Ipswich on Monday 17th June. The same guy was on the gate, so I reminded him of what happened last Thursday and put the ticket in again. Once again the gateline accepted it.

This was a longer stay in Ipswich, and about an hour later I came back to the station with the same guy on the gateline. I put my ticket in again and this time it rejected it.

So the moral of this story appears to be that if you want to see a gateline let you out with an all line rover, go to Ipswich. Don't plan to come back again though... Wink
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 19:28:18 »

But did the guy have a simple foot switch to instruct the gateline to accept the ticket?
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 20:04:21 »

Quote from: eXPassenger
But did the guy have a simple foot switch to instruct the gateline to accept the ticket?

Well if he did he must have forgotten he had it when I tried to get back in  Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: