Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:43:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Safety net for our server - robustness planning  (Read 6965 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 23, 2019, 17:39:52 »

A duck swims serenely on a flowing river and that's a sight of great beauty and elegance, but under the surface the duck's feet are kicking like mad to keep it there. And this forum is somewhat similar - there's the moderator and admin stuff and a deeper server maintenance level too.  And the software being over-mature at the moment means that occasionally things go wrong and rather like a heritage locomotive need hitting with a hammer to loosen something up or very, very rarely a bit of welding.

I'm away for a few weeks in the autumn and I know that whilst I'll be able to see the server and contribute / do moderator and admin work, I won't be able to get at the deeper stuff.  Red Squirrel has kindly agreed to be available as an emergency accessor, and also to take off site backups on a weekly basis. With his Linux knowledge, a map of roughly what's where on the serve, and some tips on which points need hitting with a hammer far more than I like, he'll be providing a significantly reassuring second string support while I'm away.  He visited on Friday and we've been through what's where, and he'll be logging in / having a look around and trying a bit of wheel-tapping over the next couple of weeks so that anything needed in the autumn won't be totally alien.

The long-awaiting significant software upgrade will NOT go live until I'm back.  Change software and run to where I cannot offer total support would be rather silly. And when that upgrade has happened I would be very hopeful that after inevitable teething problems the hammer and special stuff would be very much less required than at present.  However, I would hope that Red Squirrel could be a part of that process too so that he's available for calling on – once in a blue moon.  All of which is very much amongst our steps to make the forum robust and continuous for the next decade.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 05:28:33 »

-- Out of Office Message -- ... Lisa and I are away from 1st September for a somewhat longer period than our typical vacations.  The forum has a tremendous moderator team, so I don't expect you would notice my absence ... just in case of server issues, Red Squirrel who's a bit geeky too has been briefed on some of the stuff that goes on and will provide second level support.  But this is an "Out of Office" message and not an "Away from Keyboard" one.  I expect there will be copious opportunities between listening to lectures, eating, touring sights and cities, eating, learning to waltz, taking in shows, eating, swimming, drinking and eating to catch up online.

Each morning, connectivity allowing, I plan to put up a "where is this" picture, all taken by myself earlier this year.  Some will be easy, some not so and a little out of the norm - "day in the life of" which has at times been a lot of meetings. I may not be back online to give quite as quick a confirmation of the identity of the place, and what's "morning" to me may turn out to be afternoon to you folks.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 09:23:05 »

Really hope you enjoy your break.  Thank you for all your forum efforts, very much appreciated.
I noted not too many drinking comments for your break, but many eating breaks.
Surely equal quantities of each? You DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) take up the inclusive drinks package ((per cabin)) didn't you?  Grin Grin

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 10:02:21 »

Red Squirrel who's a bit geeky too...

I don't know what he means!

Bon voyage, grahame (and lisae) - and remember:

Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like 127.0.0.1

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 16:28:50 »

learning to waltz

You poor sod..... Grin
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 08:52:22 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) "Strictly" next year?  Grin

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 09:23:08 »

And they're off!

Bon voyage Graham and Lisa. Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 12:34:43 »

Enjoy your holiday Graham & Lisa. I hope the weather treats you kindly

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 23:39:55 »

Apologies for the down time this evening. The server needed a metaphorical kick.

grahame, via Facebook Messenger, was able to talk me through the steps, and I've given the server a damn good thrashing!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 23:50:34 »

Either that or you've found the pile of 50ps that were left for you 😀
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 00:15:49 »

Apologies for the down time this evening. The server needed a metaphorical kick.

grahame, via Facebook Messenger, was able to talk me through the steps, and I've given the server a damn good thrashing!

Massive THANK YOU ... bit of a storm of two issues at once and my connectivity is exceptionally poor.  Having done that once it would be easier for bignosemac to do again another time, but I'll look to putting a trigger in to look at doing it automatically too (from Friday 13th!).   Still sorting things from here - will be around for a couple of hours yet, I expect!

MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 00:18:56 »

With a large tree branch I hope.
JC.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 09:32:01 »

If there are any computer experts out there who would like to assist with problems on another railway-related discussion forum, the Bristol Railway Archive Index forum has been down for a few weeks now.

Perhaps some members here have come across the forum befpre, or perhaps have even posted on it. I have been a member since 2009.

The site owner, Peter Lawson, emailed me last night with an updateL

"Currently the version of php that runs the wiki part of the website (ie. The non-forum bit) cannot run with the required version of php that is required to run the forum.  I’ve tried various fixes that are on the internet, but non have worked up to now. I’ve not given up on it completely, but it’s not looking too good. I’m currently looking at maybe hosting the forum elsewhere and just linking to it from my webspace, but this option is possibly going to be too expensive.

But I shall persevere!"

Unfortunately that means very little in practical terms to me - does it give anybody else some clues?

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page  Clicking on "This way to the forums!" just leads to a holding page.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 10:10:54 »

If there are any computer experts out there who would like to assist with problems on another railway-related discussion forum, the Bristol Railway Archive Index forum has been down for a few weeks now.

Might like to and in normal circumstances would be right up my street - no exactly where he is coming from ... however,  "Out there" this month is on an icky connection in the middle of the Atlantic so there is a huge difference between "like to" and "can" for the next weeks.

Have him email me at least.

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 10:29:59 »

Tanks Graham - I've now emailed him again and passed on your email address
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: