Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:08:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Derogations - allowing uncompliant stock still to be used in 2020  (Read 6037 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 09:06:11 »

They most certainly should.  Especially in the ongoing debacle on the Midland Main Line.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 15:00:14 »

• No more than 4 seats across Purposely excluded from the KTR due as a business decision, however the study into seat comfort included minimum seat widths and it was recommended that the findings from that be incorporated in a later edition of the KTR. That might (depending on what the minimum seat width is) be a death-sentance for 2+3 seating, but only if the standard is made mandatory

Is there also a minimum gangway width? I presume that would be a safety factor so there would be; but I don't know. So it might be possible to incorporate 2+3 seating by reducing gangway width further? Though I hope not.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 14:13:24 »

Derogation letter and details published by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) at 3p.m. on 31st December dated, I note, 3 weeks earlier to GWR (Great Western Railway)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/855277/gwr-class-143-2020-dispensation-letter-timed-request.pdf (class 143)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/855467/gwr-short-form-hsts-2020-dispensation-letter.pdf   (this one dated earlier - "Castles")

I have links for 19 other such letters all published at the same time by the DfT; as far as I can see none of the others are for stock in use in the GWR franchise or likely to be passing through, but not all are sorted by TOC (Train Operating Company) so there could be some of 'our' 150s in there listed under their leasing company.   For TfW see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/transport-for-wales-rail-service-accessibility-compliance-dispensation - long list!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 22:08:19 »

And from TfW JourneyCheck:
Please be aware that our Locomotive-Hauled Coach Engine and four coaches that operate from Holyhead to Cardiff and Manchester, do not feature fully accessible facilities, including toilets.

A PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility)-modified class 67 locomotive - now, that's an interesting concept.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 12:58:10 »

A PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility)-modified class 67 locomotive - now, that's an interesting concept.

Have Stannah developed a mini stairlift to help disabled drivers get down from the cab if the train does not come to a halt in a station?

I'll look out for ones with blue badges.........
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 06:02:33 »

A long article from Railway Technology

Sewage on the train tracks: will the rail industry clean up after itself?

ScotRail originally stopped dumping sewage onto tracks in 2017. However, it was forced to revert to this practice again in 2018 as a temporary measure due to delays in receiving 26 renovated high-speed InterCity trains. This meant the operator had to hire much older models that do not have waste storage tanks.

Just eight of the 26 refurbished trains have been delivered to date, meaning that some of the older models will serve seven Scottish cities into next year and continue emptying toilet waste onto tracks. According to ScotRail, the refurbishment programme is now being accelerated.

“We’re working with suppliers to ensure the refurbishment of our fleet of high-speed InterCity trains is completed as soon as possible,” says a ScotRail spokesperson.

Wabtec Rail is performing the upgrades to 17 ScotRail carriages. According to Jodi Savage, Wabtec Rail contract manager for vehicles, the design of some older trains presents challenges for retrofitting.

East Midlands Railway is another train operator that has requested permission to carry on flushing sewage onto tracks, which may fully not end until 2023. Dumping of effluent will continue on some fast services between St Pancras in London and other cities such as Sheffield and Nottingham.

A spokesperson for the company said that most of its trains do have controlled emissions toilets, with the majority of its regional fleet having been retrofitted with storage tanks in the past 18 months.

“We completely support the drive by Network Rail to remove all trains without controlled emissions toilets by the end of 2023 and are already working towards having all our trains fitted by the end of 2020,” the East Midlands Railway spokesperson said.

“This work is part of our £600m investment plan to completely replace our entire train fleet with either brand new or fully refurbished trains across our network.”

The article goes on to look at why sewage dumping continues - why the planned phasing out of the practise by the end of 2019 did not happen.  An interesting read ... no great surprise to me. 

Is the above list of companies still "dumping" compete?  I wonder in particular if the remaining pacers (Northern, Transport for Wales, GWR (Great Western Railway)) and heritage trains operators' stock is compliant?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 08:47:19 »

I wasn't aware there was an official deadline to achieve this unlike PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility) modifications.  Its a good thing though, and I speak as one who has been sprayed countless times whilst working on the track during a 50-year career  Tongue
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 09:23:53 »

I wasn't aware there was an official deadline to achieve this unlike PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility) modifications.  Its a good thing though, and I speak as one who has been sprayed countless times whilst working on the track during a 50-year career  Tongue

Erm I'll just stand over here then if that's OK. No offence!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 02:33:14 »

AFAIK (as far as I know) there is no requirement to remove dump toilets from heritage trains that are used ONLY on heritage lines.
The health risks are probably less, since the low speed results in true "dumping" rather than spraying over track workers, external door handles, and persons on platforms.

I have previously suggested that a batch of new "toilet coaches" could be built for heritage railways, 4 retention toilets per coach, two at each end. A standard design differing only in livery. Not new "from the ground up" but re-built on existing underframes. One such coach in the middle of the train would suffice on most heritage lines.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: