Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 23:45:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheddar Valley Line and Borders Railway - a comparison  (Read 5086 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2019, 12:11:08 »

A discussion elsewhere on this forum set me wondering about how mid-Somerset compares with the Scottish Borders:

The Borders Railway, from the point where it branches off at Newcraighall, is about 40km long and serves the following populations:

Shawfair
?
Eskbank
Newtongrange
Gorebridge
Stow
Galashiels
Tweedbank
-----
Total

The Cheddar Valley line, from Yatton to Cranmore, was about 32km. If reopened, it could serve the following populations:

Congresbury
Banwell
Winscombe
Axbridge
Cheddar
Wells
Shepton Mallet
-----
Total

The Borders Railway cost about £300 million to re-build. Rebuilding the Strawberry line would probably cost something similar. The Borders line is currently one-ended - it connects the Borders with Edinburgh. The Strawberry Line would connect at both ends, giving access to Bristol, Bath and Westbury. It's not the most direct route to Bristol or Bath, but decent line speeds ought to be possible.

The scheme cost for the A358 scheme, for comparison, is £250-500 million and, for Jct 18a of the M4, £428 million.

How would you spend the money?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 12:30:38 »

The road schemes mentioned are needed - the congestion causes a great deal of cost, inconvenience and pollution.

But I can see the advantages of a restored railway.  Is the thought that new rail travel opportunities would reduce the road traffic by much?  Is there evidence that it would save road journeys?  I'm old enough to remember being told quite often that increasing transport provision soon builds demand that negates the effect of the increased provision
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 14:20:04 »

The capacity-induced demand and the existence of congestion at present, could be taken together as an argument against building new roads. Or even for reducing road capacity as a way to reduce congestion.

Returning to the Borders railway, I am boggled that a village of 718 people gets a new station!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 23:27:18 »

Stow fills a large gap between Gorebridge and Galashiels, and is the nearest point to Lauder, although the latter has a population of only about 1800.

RS's point though is well made. This link could restore a reasonable Bristol link for quite a number of Somerset communities. How much of the formation remains? Presumably this would also involve taking over the East Somerset Railway? 
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 00:01:07 »

Returning to the Borders railway, I am boggled that a village of 718 people gets a new station!

The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) figures credit it with about 70,000 passengers in 2017-8.

Food for thought.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 03:51:48 »

The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) figures credit it with about 70,000 passengers in 2017-8.
Food for thought.

P & R business by any chance at this station, Stow, and similarly at Tweedbank.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:16:54 by martyjon » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 06:08:06 »

Food for thought.

P & R business by any chance at this station, Stow, and similarly at Tweedbank.

36 (official) free parking spaces if I read the data right - if nearly full on a daily basis with driver-only traffic that would account for some 20,000 journeys.  There may be street parking, car sharing, buses.  Around 100 arrivals and 100 departures per day from the population ... 13.4% of the local population use the train on a daily basis if you play with numbers - not impossible; don't know the place.  I have also seen towns / villages split across multiple (parish) names, and ticketing quirks.   Lots of possibilities.

I also draw your attention to other stations with low local populations and high passenger numbers - in my own home county Bedwyn (Great Bedwyn village) and Dean (West Dean village).

One very interesting thing I have learned from a quick look around online ... Scotrail operate 158 station car parks and only charge at 20 of them.  See https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/stations-and-facilities/car-parking . It looks like a world away from what we see in Wiltshire ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 11:05:36 »

Stow fills a large gap between Gorebridge and Galashiels, and is the nearest point to Lauder, although the latter has a population of only about 1800.

RS's point though is well made. This link could restore a reasonable Bristol link for quite a number of Somerset communities. How much of the formation remains? Presumably this would also involve taking over the East Somerset Railway? 

I live on the Western end of the Strawberry line which is now a cycle and pedestrian route.  The state of the formation is:
  • Yatton to Sandford - mostly intact except for Sandford sewage works and possibly a new National Grid substation
  • Sandford to Shute Shelve tunnel - Sandford station is now a railway heritage centre.  In Winscombe gardens have been extended over the track.  From Winscombe and through the Shute Shelve tunnel Bristol Water have laid a high capacity water main.
  • Axbridge - the formation carries the Axbridge bypass
  • Cheddar - the formation is covered by trading estates, houses and a secondary school
  • Wells - the formation has gardens and the Wells through roads.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 17:40:30 »

Fitting new railways along old routes is not without challenges!

The central section of East West Railway is a case in point: many houses have been built on the old alignment at Sandy, and the Mullard Observatory and Cambridge Guided Busway occupy the old route at the Cambridge end, and so it has been decided to find a completely new alignment. However, Cambridgeshire's flat open countryside allows a lot more leeway for this than is available for the Strawberry Line, which threads its way through a tight pass at Shute Shelve before following the line of the Mendip Hills to Wells. There is some, but not much, wiggle room.

Would it be possible to squeeze a single track in alongside the Axbridge Bypass, and by Strawberry Way in Wells? Or would a cut and cover tunnel be possible at one or other of these locations? Would a new alignment be needed to the west of Cheddar?

If all this seems impossibly ambitious or expensive, how about this: Highways England plan to invest (sic) £1.4 billion to 'improve' a roundabout on the A1 . This scheme will, they say, cut 10 minutes off the commute between Black Cat and Caxton Gibbet. How would you spend £1.4 billion?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 16:19:35 »

SNIPPED
How would you spend £1.4 billion?
On me?
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 18:17:34 »

On a practical / political view the Borders railway was pushed through by the Scottish government.  The Cheddar line would have the combined weight of N Somerset parish council and Somerset CC / Sedgemoor DC (Direct Current) / Mendip CC.

N Somerset has not yet got the Portishead line agreed where the formation exists and is running freight trains for much of its length.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 22:25:57 by eXPassenger » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: