10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:00:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Two rail workers killed in collision with train, near Port Talbot - Wed 3 July 2019  (Read 31182 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2019, 11:08:19 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48854010

Early reports state that three rail workers struck. Please be aware that this is "breaking news" and liable to be revised as more detailed reports become available.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 11:11:27 »

Just seen the following tweet from PA (Public Address) media: https://twitter.com/PA/status/1146359427529936902

#Breaking Two people have died after being struck by a train on railway tracks near Port Talbot in South Wales, British Transport Police say

(My thoughts to everyone involved with this very tragic incident.)
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:18:50 »

On the affected train. Emergency services advised they won't be handing over for at least 2 hours. Crew being very visible and informative despite being clearly a bit shaken.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 11:20:42 »

Indeed, very sad.
The earlier report to which I referred made no reference to any loss of life, but yes, later reports state two fatalities.

I am sure that the bereaved and injured are in our thoughts.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 12:10:09 »

Here is a later report that is more accurate and in more detail.
Includes a picture of the scene, which I appreciate that some might consider inappropriate, but as it is from a reputable and publicly available news site I see no harm in posting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48854010

jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 12:41:05 »

Ouch. Poor sods. Think I'm going to try heading up to Merthyr later and getting the last X75 of the day down the Vale of Neath, as I imagine it'll not be fun trying to head directly west from Cardiff when they find some rail replacement buses.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 13:24:39 »

Tragic ,my condolences to all involved especially the driver.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 13:54:56 »

BTP (British Transport Police) Statement - http://media.btp.police.uk/r/16549/statement__incident_on_the_railway_near_port_talb

Statement: Incident on the railway near Port Talbot - Wales
Update at 11.50am

Shortly before 10am today (03/07), officers from British Transport Police were called to the railway close to Port Talbot in South Wales, following a report of a train striking persons on the tracks.

Paramedics from the Welsh Ambulance Service are also on scene, very sadly two persons have been pronounced dead at the scene.

Media reports suggest that three persons were struck by a train. Our enquiries have only identified two people who were struck. A third person was treated for shock at the scene, they were not injured.
Superintendent Andy Morgan from British Transport Police, said: “We are making a number of urgent enquiries to understand exactly what happened in the moments leading to this fatal collision.

“Very sadly two people have died and my officers are now working to identify them and ensure that their families are supported at this incredibly difficult time.”

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch have been notified.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 14:20:59 »

Tragic ,my condolences to all involved especially the driver.

"liked" not of course because I like the news, but because I agree with the sentiments expressed re sympathy with all involved, and with the driver in particular.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 15:16:51 by broadgage » Logged

phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 14:45:52 »

Ouch. Poor sods. Think I'm going to try heading up to Merthyr later and getting the last X75 of the day down the Vale of Neath, as I imagine it'll not be fun trying to head directly west from Cardiff when they find some rail replacement buses.

GWR (Great Western Railway) Journey Check says there are 2 x double buses operating between Cardiff and Swansea.    TFW have sourced buses also.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 17:02:31 »

Many online sources covering the story.  The Wales Online link is being updated as things become clearer, and with reactions.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/train-port-talbot-bridgend-gwr-16523315

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/03/two-rail-workers-dead-hit-train-10107789/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 17:15:33 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 17:15:30 »

Speculation elsewhere suggests that the signalman didn't know they were there.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 17:42:12 »

Speculation elsewhere suggests that the signalman didn't know they were there.

AFAIK (as far as I know) they don’t always need to.

Still, desperately sad incident.  I find it absolutely disgusting when the likes of Sky publish pictures from the scene with an area blurred out. Where’s the dignity and respect for those men and all concerned with the incident?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 17:45:47 »

Statement from GWR (Great Western Railway)

Everyone at GWR is incredibly saddened to learn that two railway colleagues lost their lives this morning, when they were struck by the 0929 service from Swansea to London Paddington.

We have offered our full assistance to the British Transport Police, the Rail Accident Investigation Branch, and Network Rail as they seek to understand the circumstances which led to this tragic accident.

We would like to take the time to thank members of the railway community and emergency services who were involved in looking after our customers and colleagues on the train following the incident, and in getting them safely onto alternative transport.

Our deepest condolences and thoughts at this incredibly difficult time are with the families, friends and colleagues of those who lost their lives.”
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 18:10:39 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) Journey Check says there are 2 x double buses operating between Cardiff and Swansea.    TFW have sourced buses also.
I needed to head north from Cathays just after 3 for my rather pleasant attempt to emulate the Vale of Neath Railway to work; but good to know that they finally found some buses to fight their way through Cardiff traffic.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: