I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:57:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Meet the Managing Director: August 05, 2019
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet the Managing Director - 5th August 2019  (Read 15751 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 05, 2019, 17:00:01 »

A date for your diary.  A month from today, Mark Hopwood, Managing Director of Great Western Railway will be live here on the Coffee Shop forum answering questions from members in our occasional "Meet the Manager" series.  Put Monday, 5th August 2019 in your diary and make sure you're on line early that evening.

From 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday, 5th August, Mark and our BobM will be on line from Swindon together with support, with new conversations triggered at intervals by Red Squirrel from our moderator team on our Meet the Manager board. We anticipate a healthy discussion will ensue on each of the chosen topics.

In order to ensure an even coverage of the topics members might wish to raise, please send your questions via personal message to Chris from Nailsea prior to close of business on Sunday, 28th July.  Questions will then be sorted / combined to ensure that there is even coverage on 5th August, and it will also allow us to give Mark and his team at Great Western Railway a "heads up" on topics that will arise. The discussions on the 5th August, though, will be truly interactive after initial texts are posted.

Our "Meet the Manager" board is a public one, available to the world to read. However, like all other Coffee Shop forum boards, only members can post.  If you are not yet a member, please register here in good time - we can take up to 24 hours to check and confirm a registration.  So you'll need to register by Saturday 27th July if you want to ask a question, or Sunday 4th August if you want to join in discussions.  Registration is free - really just needed so that we have your GDPR approval, a way to reach you in exceptional circumstances, and your confirmation to our posting etiquette.

A big "Thank You" to GWR (Great Western Railway) and to Mark Hopwood for enabling this "Meet the Managing Director" session on our "Meet the Manager" board. The idea has been bubbling along for a while, and I'm delighted that Mark and his team sought us out at the Community Rail conference last month, encouraging us to move it from an idea to reality.

Mark Hopwood at last month's GWR Community Rail conference

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 17:00:52 »

Appendix

The "Meet the Manager" board - unusually on the Coffee Shop - is set to 'reply only'. That's done so that all contributions during an active session are channelled into the ongoing discussions and the whole thing doesn't take off with threads in all sorts of directions that make it unmanageable.

We know the 17:00 to 18:00 time slot is not ideal for everyone.  Tough - there is no magic time slot that would be; with a month's notice, members should be able to plan around it and be connected somewhere.  And content (bearing in mind the occasional extraordinary exception) will remain available after the event - just as you can still look back to the Ben Rule "Meet the Manager" from 4 years ago.

Should something extraordinary crop up in the days / hours before the session, we reserve the right to add in an extra question or even change plans if we (the admin / moderator team in conjunction with GWR (Great Western Railway)) feel that's appropriate. For example, a session scheduled on the day the sea wall washed out at Dawlish in February 2014 would probably have been postponed, and a session scheduled a few days later would probably have had a late question on plans to help passengers travel until the trains returned.

As well as BobM in Swindon and Red Squirrel in Bristol, Chris from Nailsea and Grahame will be online during "Meet the Managing Director" to deal with any admin / moderation / server issues that may arise.  Experience suggests this availability is a safety net that won't be needed but we WILL be there.

The session will be trailed on Facebook and Twitter, but not mirrored there. In order to read, people will need to visit the appropriate pages on the forum web site. In order to participate, people will need to register for the forum at least a day ahead.

Whilst every attempt will be made to cover as many topics as practical, the forum cannot guarantee to cover everything that's raised.  We will not put questions which are inappropriate, and I'm sure you'll appreciate that answers may be very limited or unavailable on commercial matters.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
MarkHopwood

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 07:17:43 »

Looking forward to it already!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 20:06:23 »

I've cancelled my next cruise.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 08:40:16 »

Although I am just something of an observer of this one, I understand that some very interesting questions are being put forward.  Please do send messages to Chris from Nailsea to have your question considered for inclusion in the mix.  You have a week remaining.

I doubt it's going to be possible to put every question as asked and Chris from Nailsea and Red Squirrel will have an interesting time choosing those which are best.   If you're putting in a question, please do make sure it is a question and if you can that it's a question within the remit of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s MD to answer or comment on.   

It can, frankly, be very hard for people to know what's in the train operator's control or influence - those of us who are admins / moderators here are a little better informed than many who will be asking questions or watching on 5th August.   I do hope that this process Q&A process helps to clarify such responsibilities - be that during the process or in following up.

For completeness of the record here on the Coffee Shop, the Facebook promotion of this event is ((here)).  But please note that we ask you to register (if you've not already done so) and ask questions via Chris - this will allow you to interact on the evening too - rather than just post there.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 23:52:45 »

Thank you for your update here, grahame. Wink

Yes, I have indeed been sent a lot of questions, which our members on the Coffee Shop forum would like to ask Mark Hopwood.

They are all very valid questions, to be fair - but we also have to be fair to Mark, who can only reasonably be expected to deal with a certain number of subjects, during our one hour live session.  Grin

I am therefore drawing up a set of six questions, on a variety of topics, which my colleague Red Squirrel will feed into the live discussion at ten minute intervals.

Those other questions, though, will not be forgotten.  We will post them elsewhere on the Coffee Shop forum - for example, on the board relating to that particular branch line, where local GWR (Great Western Railway) staff will probably have a much more detailed knowledge of the situation than Mark could reasonably be expected to have.  In such cases, may I encourage our GWR staff members on the Coffee Shop to reply appropriately - following the excellent example of your own Managing Director!  Wink

Thanks, Chris from Nailsea.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 09:12:53 »

............. In such cases, may I encourage our GWR (Great Western Railway) staff members on the Coffee Shop to reply appropriately - following the excellent example of your own Managing Director!  Wink

Do you not run into the problem that Mark is the M.D so can speak with authority, whereas GWR staff members can only give a personal opinion, which is not necessarily a FGW (First Great Western) opinion, and they may not be able to express an opinion even though they might know the answer.

Thank you to all involved with setting this up, and in no way am I trying to be dismissive, etc

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 09:27:26 »

............. In such cases, may I encourage our GWR (Great Western Railway) staff members on the Coffee Shop to reply appropriately - following the excellent example of your own Managing Director!  Wink

Do you not run into the problem that Mark is the M.D so can speak with authority, whereas GWR staff members can only give a personal opinion, which is not necessarily a FGW (First Great Western) opinion, and they may not be able to express an opinion even though they might know the answer.

Thank you to all involved with setting this up, and in no way am I trying to be dismissive, etc

I'm sure that this event is only a precursor and much needed catalyst to a resurrected and improved culture of openness and accessibility from those at the top of GWR and that we can look forward to a comprehensive customer engagement programme of "Meet the Manager" events, both face to face at stations and digitally, following their sudden, unexplained cessation a year or two ago...………..I'm sure... Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 11:41:07 »

Do you not run into the problem that Mark is the M.D so can speak with authority, whereas GWR (Great Western Railway) staff members can only give a personal opinion, which is not necessarily a FGW (First Great Western) opinion, and they may not be able to express an opinion even though they might know the answer.

Yes, but  Grin

As the MD of a company that plans over half a million services a year and a fleet of around 800 passenger carrying vehicles, operates over 200 stations and employs around 6,000 staff, you cannot expect Mark to have every answer - at least straight off - and where answers get involved in detail and individual stations / trains for him to delegate or to let us know how something is already delegated.

An example - an email last Thursday from Mark's office seeks ideas to reduce station dwell time. At Melksham, 2 carriage trains headed towards Swindon pull up at the northern end of the extended platform, whereas the station entrance, information screen, ticket machine, bicycle shelter, station name boards and waiting shelter are all at the southern end.  Net result - people wait away from where the trains stops and have to walk up to it after it passes them by as it pulls up.  And people new to Melksham take time to establish where they are ("is this Melksham" leading out of the train doors!) because there are no signs they can see to tell them.  Little things - surely to goodness fixable under delegated authority, but in the knowledge that they're in line with the desire to reduce dwell time ... and that in this instance you're looking at dwell time on a heavily used single track between congested main lines where knock-on delays want to be reduced.

See http://www.mrug.org.uk/mkm_faster_load.pdf for the full Melksham Rail User Group response that will be submitted (just awaiting one final person to feedback if she wishes by this time tomorrow).

I'm sure that this event is only a precursor and much needed catalyst to a resurrected and improved culture of openness and accessibility from those at the top of GWR ....

Indeed, and changes within GWR suggest that they are strongly working on positive updates in customer engagement.  So I would be hopeful, and with evidence to back up that hope.  If / how the Coffee Shop is mainstream in that remains an open question and I suspect may be influenced by the 5th August even and how the wider "we" handle it.   To add - although we go on about the need for GWR to improve openness, that's a need with many organisations and looking at / in touch with others who are customer groups online in different parts of the UK (United Kingdom), I thank my lucky stars that we don't have the sort of relationship they do - as different as day and night already.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 07:10:49 »

Just a reminder - today is the last day to submit your question for the session on the 5th August.

See up thread for details.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 07:38:07 by bobm » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 00:58:34 »

May I offer all of you my thanks for submitting your proposed questions to the Managing Director of Great Western Railway.  Wink

I have been sent many questions, so I have been unable to answer or acknowledge every 'personal message' - but they have all been received, read and understood!

Realistically, only some of them can be posed to Mark Hopwood himself, in our one hour session.  Those other questions will be posted in relevant boards and topics on the Coffee Shop forum, and we will encourage GWR (Great Western Railway) staff members with more detailed local knowledge to answer them.

We on the Coffee Shop forum clearly have contacts in high places.  Wink Roll Eyes Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 08:15:29 »

Those other questions will be posted in relevant boards and topics on the Coffee Shop forum, and we will encourage GWR (Great Western Railway) staff members with more detailed local knowledge to answer them.

I’ll certainly have a go where I can - even if I might not always like the answer I have to give!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 06:41:10 »

In 36 hour, we'll be in the middle of "Meet the Managing Director".  That's from 5 p.m. on Monday, 5th August 2019 on this board.

With my Webmaster hat on, I've taken a look ahead at the sort of load that will be placed on our server, and the sort of load our server can handle ... and I can report that we should have plenty of capacity.  I still have daily stat summaries for the previous time we ran a "meet the manager"  and whilst numbers present and numbers of posts spiked that day, they didn't reach the heights we have reached on other days such as the day the sea wall got washed out at Dawlish.  That said, tomorrow evening will probably be a shorter, sharper spike; we have had similar on the server before on another site hosted there.

Basically ... all ready to go  Grin Grin Grin

Set your alarm ... and we'll see you tomorrow night!

Edit to correct start time to 5 p.m.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 14:41:51 by grahame » Logged

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 23:59:36 »

Another update from me:

I had to select just a few questions from a very wide range of subjects, and from many members of the Coffee Shop forum, so please do not be offended if your particular question(s) were not chosen to be put to Mark himself in our live one hour session.

The questions which I have selected were chosen to cover a variety of subjects, and from no more than one question from any one member, to be as fair as possible.

Also to be as fair as possible, I sent a copy of those six questions to Mark's team at Great Western Railway a few days ago, so that he could be prepared to answer each of them.  Mark's initial answer may therefore be rehearsed, but after that, he will be out here, live on the Coffee Shop forum, answering your own reply posts!

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 01:01:01 »

Whilst I can see the merit of supplying the questions in advance to Mr Hopwood, would it be possible to also publish the questions in advance in this thread ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: