Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:04:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Extinction Rebellion Bristol: July 15, 2019 - July 19, 2019
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate protests in Bristol  (Read 35840 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2019, 12:28:52 »

Whilst I have sympathy with the aims and concerns of the protesters, I can also sympathise with road users whose business is impeded.
As one driver put it at the London protests, "we are told that opening the road is not a police matter. In that case, we should be allowed to open the road ourselves"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2019, 12:50:32 »

Whilst I have sympathy with the aims and concerns of the protesters, I can also sympathise with road users whose business is impeded.
As one driver put it at the London protests, "we are told that opening the road is not a police matter. In that case, we should be allowed to open the road ourselves"
Eventually, if these protests continue, I think that's what you will see. These so called peaceful protests may then not be so peaceful. When people see the police continually appearing* to do nothing, they will do something about it themselves.

*Aware their hands are very much legally tied.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2019, 18:27:33 »

The question of access for the disabled has perhaps not been thought through (though if she can't work a quarter of a mile, I'm surprised she can manage a cleaning job).

I would be surprised if this apparently innocuous snippet of news has not been looked into today by one of my former colleagues.  Smiley

Portable single induction cooking rings are also available, they work from a 13 amp socket and are very useful as a supplement to existing facilities, and also for use in a caravan or boat where space and power availability are limited.

I bought one when we moved house in 2009, without a kitchen for a little while. It cost me £20 from a leading German discounter, and went on to cook lunch or bacon sarnies many a time at my then office, as well as being lent out to needy friends and providing an adjunct to the barbecue at the far end of our garden. I recently sold it for for £20. Every Lidl helps!

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2019, 19:33:44 »

I've had my ind hob for ten years and love it,is got four zones that each have a timer function and one of the zones is a max 3100watt which boils a litre and half of water in less time than it takes the kettle to do the same ,hardly gets hot,glass flat surface is a doddle to keep clean I couldn't be more impressed,as Tony said earlier it's the future !.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2019, 20:31:19 »

Day 4. Didn't see any disruption today. Press reports indicated protest at MOD Abbey Wood but speaking with someone who passed through on the Ring Road at about 10.30 this am no sign of XR (Crossrail) at all.

Feverish activity around Bristols Harbourside today preparing for, starting tomorrow, the three day Annual Harbour Festival.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2019, 20:55:45 »

Feverish activity around Bristols Harbourside today preparing for, starting tomorrow, the three day Annual Harbour Festival.

At last! Real honest gridlock!

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2019, 23:13:39 »

At last! Real honest gridlock!

Call me old (and now a few dare to) but shuffling through the understandable crowds that attend tends to weaken my enthusiasm for being there. Some malt, hop and yeast based refreshment* can lessen the stress but is negated by the life wasted in ten deep queues.

*It's important to be mindful that beer is so much more than just another breakfast drink.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2019, 06:23:45 »

Nope, big crowds not for me either. Events like this I would attend early and get out before the crowds really kick off.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2019, 06:29:59 »

Going back to the main reason for this thread. Just heard on the local news that Bristol Airport is a target for future protests. You have been warned.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2019, 07:22:02 »

Going back to the main reason for this thread. Just heard on the local news that Bristol Airport is a target for future protests. You have been warned.

These people must have very understanding bosses to allow them so much time off for protests....... Roll Eyes
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2019, 08:14:20 »

These people must have very understanding bosses to allow them so much time off for protests....... Roll Eyes

Perhaps they are using one week of their their annual leave?
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2019, 09:35:43 »

Perhaps they are using one week of their their annual leave?

Well some certainly are, and some do have understanding bosses. There are also many retired people involved.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2019, 12:50:31 »

Interesting piece on Bristol Post about life with the Extinction Rebellion camp and group (in both London and now Bristol).   Much to read - please do click on the link.

I read ...

One such steward, Leo Hoskin Green, 28, from South Bristol, spent yesterday evening at the information tent, following a full day's work as a mechanical engineer at a company in the south east of the city.

He took a day's leave on Monday to help with the first day of the action, and has since spent almost every hour he can fit around his profession working at the site.

He said: "I got involved with Extinction Rebellion after seeing the news about the action they were taking in London - I've been worrying about climate change and the ecological crisis since I was 14 and have campaigned in the past but things have just got worse and worse.

"My then-girlfriend and I had been watching it on the news really closely, and on the Saturday we made placards with the intention of heading up on Sunday.

My highlighting and I read on, wondering if I would learn as to why she was no longer his girlfriend ...

"We stayed overnight and were on Waterloo Bridge on Sunday, where we both agreed that we were willing to be arrested if we needed to be.

"We were eventually arrested and held at Bromley Police Station for 19 hours. It all happened very quickly but we just kept sight of why we were there and concentrated on being polite to the police officers.

OK ... so - the girlfriend? ...

"Six days later my girlfriend and I got married, and we have since spent the majority of our weekends and a lot of our evenings working to help the movement.

Ah - right.  Visions of a breakup evaporate.

And they sound like a thoughtful couple, looking ahead, fearful for the future.  With the $64,000 question - "what can I do to help influence it for the better?"

“We’ve both always wanted to have children, but at the moment we are genuinely fearful about what sort of world would grow up in. The research is all there, reports from the United Nations, the World Health Organisation, it all points to issues like mass famine, a huge refugee crisis - this needs to be taken really seriously.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2019, 13:23:57 »

Of course, having a child is probably the least environmentally friendly thing you could do.   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2019, 13:55:21 »

Call me old (and now a few dare to) but shuffling through the understandable crowds that attend tends to weaken my enthusiasm for being there. Some malt, hop and yeast based refreshment* can lessen the stress but is negated by the life wasted in ten deep queues.

I have been thrice over the years. I enjoyed the first two. The third was pretty much identical to the first two.

*It's important to be mindful that beer is so much more than just another breakfast drink.

Made from grains and flowers. It's practically muesli.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: